Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

The General Cooking Thread

Discussion in 'Cooking' started by Blue Dog, Oct 20, 2009.

1. Currer Bell

Currer Bell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Here is an interesting article about chocolate chip cookies:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/09/dining/09chip.html?_r=1&ref=dining

Here is the accompanying recipe:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/09/dining/091crex.html

I finally tried the recipe and these cookies were definitely amazing. Just like what I've had from bakeries.

- I didn't pay the extra money to get a bottle of natural vanilla extract - I just used regular pure vanilla extract.

- I didn't drive to the other side of town to get chocolate at Whole Foods. I went to my regular grocery store and purchased from the baking aisle the Ghirardelli 60% cacao chocolate chips, which I discovered to be disk-shaped like the article mentions.

Other than those two things, I followed the recipe exactly. Pure heaven!

2. Currer Bell

Currer Bell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I was just reading the cooking chat on washingtonpost.com, and a chatter offhandedly mentioned she was going to make fudge egg rolls. There was an influx of chatters (including me!) wanting to know what that was, so she shared:

New Years Eve for one: Fudge egg rolls They are easy. In a heavy deep pan heat up about 2 inches of vegetable oil. Take egg roll wrapper ( since you have wonton wrappers I assume they would work fine.) cut a piece of fudge into pieces such that you have approx 1/2 inch wide x1/2 inch tall x3 inch long pieces. (I cheat and use commercial chocolate fudge remember I largely cook for just me plus grandma gave me fudge for Christmas.) Put them in the freezer for and hour or more. In reality I will freeze them the morning before. Put this on the egg roll wrapper such that it is in the middle of the egg roll wrapper with a corner hanging off the end. Melt a little butter. Wrap the side corners in and then wrap the corner near you over and roll. (Like you would with any egg roll) use the melted butter to help the last corner seal. Do not be afraid to push hard to get a nice seal. When you have made as many up as you want. Put them into oil and fry until they turn golden. Take them out and drain over some paper towels.

I usually serve them with berry dipping sauce which I typically make by taking frozen berries and putting enough red wine to cover the fruit and then simmering it. After a few minute of simmering I use my potato masher to mash the berries and then simmer until it reduces to about 1/2. Then strain in a fine mesh stainer.

Shortly before serving I will dust the fudge eggrolls with powdered sugar.

Here's the link to the food chat:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/discussion/2009/12/23/DI2009122302052.html

3. scotchcrotch

scotchcrotch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Is this a serious question?

Eat the leftovers and let me know what the ER says.

4. Guy Fawkes

Guy Fawkes
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Since we've got some Southern good ole boys (and girls? maybe) I'm wondering if anyone has a truly bad ass spicy grilled shrimp recipe?

Danka.

5. TheFarSide

TheFarSide
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Any tips on how to make a better Hoppin John tomorrow? I make it every year with the rice, black eye peas, tomato, okra and a handful of spices but it feels like I am missing something.

Thanks and Happy New Year

6. Currer Bell

Currer Bell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

7. Dcc001

Dcc001
    Expand Collapse
    New Bitch On Top

Agreed, 100%.

And I would add - now hear me out - two or three minced anchovies. It won't taste like anchovy, but it will make it saltier and enhance some of the flavours already in the mix. Simmer them when you simmer the bacon, and then add it on in.

8. TheFarSide

TheFarSide
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Sounds good. Bacon always enhances the flavor and I will give the anchovies a shot.

Thanks

9. scotchcrotch

scotchcrotch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Award winning garlic bbq pulled pork on the menu for tomorrow

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/rachael-rays-tasty-travels/award-winning-competition-barbecue-pork-butt-recipe-recipe/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/rach ... index.html</a>

Reviews both on the site and first hand have stated this is the best pulled pork recipe, bar none.

I'm stoked.

10. Benny

Benny
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Yeah, it's a serious question.

11. MisterMiracle

MisterMiracle
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Anchovies are good, but can overpower the other flavors. What I'd recommend to counter this is to liquify them in a food processor and add them into the water you're cooking your rice during the halfway point. This will help spread the flavor throughout the rice dish but also avoid overpowering anything else in your dish.

Get a thicker slice of bacon if not Irish bacon. Let bacon cook on a skillet until almost fully cooked and then dice it and add to dish later on in your process.

Lastly, I would shred up 3 or 4 fresh carrots and add them into the rice. This will not only give your rice a pleasant orange tone, but will add a hint of sweetness to your dish and nobody will know where that flavor is coming from.

12. Blue Dog

Blue Dog
    Expand Collapse
    Absentee Mod

We did a cochon de lait (pig roast) last night. Just a simple rub of Tony's and injected with a garlic butter and hot sauce mixture. No skin or head were on the pig because it was a wild hog that was caught a couple days before.

Don't have a pick of the finished product, because 1) it was too dark at3AM to take a picture, 2) I got drunk, and 3) it got demolished and pulled apart pretty quickly.

Side note- has anyone here ever broken the backbone of a pig with an ax? Its pretty goddamn neat!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Crazy Wolf

Crazy Wolf
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Fat and other lipids are the things that actually go rancid, so, yes, the excessive fat was a contributing factor. I wouldn't call it the source, as if you had stored it in a cold dark place without exposure to many microbes (like, say, a clean fridge), it should have significantly reduced the onset of rancidity.

14. MisterMiracle

MisterMiracle
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Hemp smoked duck + strawberry + sweet tamrind = awesome

Yes, we sort of used pot to smoke the duck. Take that DEA!!!

Attached Files:

15. MisterMiracle

MisterMiracle
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

It's part of a 12 course tasting menu, so to answer your question: No.

16. Bob Trousers

Bob Trousers
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

This may be a bit random, but I thought I'd ask anyway-'cause I'm like that, see?

The internet is obviously a great place for getting recipes, but I was wondering if there was a site or sites where instead of perusing all the recipes, you could enter ingredients that you have to hand and it would then generate suggestions for you based on what you enter?

17. Currer Bell

Currer Bell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Here:

http://allrecipes.com/

At the top of the page, above the search box, click "ingredients."

Note: These are user-submitted recipes. I advise reading the comment section.

18. Bob Trousers

Bob Trousers
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Awesome! Thanks!

19. hooker

hooker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I made this rack of lamb last night. It tasted like a fucking orgasm!

<a class="postlink" href="http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Roasted-Rack-of-Lamb/Detail.aspx?src=etaf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Roasted-Ra ... x?src=etaf</a>

20. BigChops

BigChops
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Finally got my chili recipe nailed down. Keep in mind, this is a thick Texas style chili, and is generally desined to be pretty spicy, but it is incredibly delicious. If you don't like a lot of heat lose the seranos and habanero and use a green pepper instead.

Ingredients:

Fresh Peppers – 1 Pablano, 1 Aneheim, 2 Seranos, 1 Habenero
    2 Chipotle peppers from the can in adobo sauce
    1 Large Sweet Onion
    3 Cloves of Garlic
    1 large stalk of celery
    1-1.5 lb of sirloin or chuck steak, excess fat trimmed, cut into ½ inch cubes
    2 T olive oil
    2 T ground cumin
    1 T ground chili powder
    1 T Dried oregano
    ½ T Onion Powder
    ½ T Granulated Garlic
    ½ T Corriander
    ½ T Curry
    1 16 oz Can of crushed tomatoes
    1 cup frozen corn
    1 cup of your favorite dark beer
    1 cup cooked dry red beans, small size (or a 12 oz can of busches chili beans)
    1 T yellow mustard powder
    ¼ cup heinz chili sauce

Heat 1 T olive oil on medium heat in a stainless stock pot. If it starts to smoke it's too hot, bring the heat down a little bit. Crush, peel and mince your garlic up, cut peppers in half and remove stems, seed and veins. Dice peppers, onions and celery, and add into the oil to sweat until semi-translucent, stirring as needed. Add the rest of the oil to the pot with the minced garlic. It cooks faster and you don't want to brown it or it will be bitter

Season your meat cubes liberally with salt and pepper, and add to the pot once the oil comes back up to temperature. They goal is to sear on all sides, so stir every minute or so. When the meat has a nice brown color on all sides then dump your tomatoes in and add the beer. Bring to a simmer and turn the heat to low.

Add all the dried herbs and spices, beans, chili sauce, and ground black pepper, stir and simmer covered on low for 30 minutes. Stir and tast for seasoning, add salt and pepper to taste. Add frozen corn. Simmer at least another hour, stirring every 15-20 minutes, until the meat is tender. If you screw up and it turns out too hot for your liking, then try adding some honey and/or eating with sour cream to cool it out.