Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

The General Cooking Thread

Discussion in 'Cooking' started by Blue Dog, Oct 20, 2009.

1. IAmWillIAm

IAmWillIAm
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

I'm a big fan of stews, mainly because they're cheap and easy to make, last a long time, and taste awesome. That being said, here's my stew recipe:

2 lbs. meat of choice
    4 cups beef stock
    2 large carrots (chopped)
    1 potato( peeled and diced)
    5 or 6 celery sticks (chopped)
    1 onion (chopped)
    3 cloves garlic
    1 can tomato sauce
    4 tbs. olive oil
    handful of parsley
    salt/pepper to taste.

Chop the garlic, add to olive oil and start warming it up. Brown the meat. Add everything else and simmer until thick. Enjoy.

Nothing fancy, but it's awesome on a cold winter day with a big hunk of bread. It's also pretty easy to turn into a shepherd's pie: put it in a baking pan, cover it in mashed potatoes, and stick it in the broiler until the mashed potatoes start turning golden brown.

2. TheFarSide

TheFarSide
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I am really interested in making my own sushi for about six people. I have read the standard information but I was curious if anyone had any tips for preparation or had any problems when they made their own.

Thanks

3. grubes47

grubes47
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

My sister and I are going to have a surprise party for my mom this weekend and I was wondering if any of you had a good idea for some food. We want it to be finger foods and not really have a big sit down meal. There will be about thirty people at the party and we eat just about anything.

4. katokoch

katokoch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Any suggestions for a good pheasant dish? I've got two birds left from this fall and since that isn't alot of meat, I was simply planning on breasting them out, cubing the breasts into 1" pieces and wrapping them in bacon, then chopping several jalapenos and covering the meat before roasting (baking) it. It's a proven recipe for pheasant or duck*, but I'm open to trying new things.

*My favorite thing to do with small quantities of duck meat (breasts) is to cube them up, wrap them in bacon, roll in italian seasoning (Mrs. Dash) and pan fry until the bacon is done. Fan-fucking-tastic.

Another thing... Even though there's still several feet of snow on the ground, I'm thinking about spring. This means getting into the woods for morel mushrooms. I'm pretty good now at the traditional light flour breading and pan frying method, but does anyone have some other good recipes?

5. shegirl

shegirl
    Expand Collapse
    Redemption Seeking Whore

Chicken with Morels:

1 ounce dried moreal, soaked for 30 minutes in 3 cups very hot water
    6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
    Kosher salt (I used regular)
    Freshly ground black pepper (See above)
    All-purpose flour, for dredging
    ¼ cup clarified butter (again I used regular)
    1/3 cup chopped shallots (2 large)
    1 tablespoon minced garlic (3 cloves(I just used the stuff in the jar but make sure it’s “minced” whatever you do))
    1 cup Madeira wine
    1 cup (8 oz) crème fraiche
    1 cup heavy cream
    2 tablespoons of lemon juice

Preheat over to 375 degrees F.

Lift the morels carefully from the hot water in order to leave any grit behind in the liquid. Rinse a few times to be sure the grittiness is gone. Discard the liquid and dry the morels lightly with paper towels. Set aside. (I skipped all of this part because I used fresh.)

Sprinkle the chicken with salt and pepper. Dredge them in flour and shake off the excess.
    Heat half the butter in a large sauté pan and cook the chicken in 2 batches over medium-low heat until both sides are browned, 8-10 minutes. Remove to an ovenproof casserole dish.

Add the rest of the butter to the pan along with the shallots, morels and garlic. Saute over medium heat heat for 2 minutes, tossing and stirring constantly. Pour the Madeira into the pan and reduce liquid by half over high heat, 2-4 minutes. Add the crème fraiche, cream, lemon juice, 1 teaspoon salt and ¾ teaspoon pepper. Boil until the mixture starts to thicken, 5-10 minutes. Pour the sauce over the chicken and bake for 12 minutes, or until the chicken is heated through. To make ahead, refrigerate the chicken and sauce in the casserole dish and reheat slowly on stove top.

Even though I am addicted to The Food Channel I very rarely make anything I see done but I’ve made this. I served it with roasted asparagus and garlic smashed potates. So good.

Credit to Ina Garten, The Barefoot Contessa.

6. Vanilla

Vanilla
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

One of my favorites is fried pepperoni with gouda put on part way through cooking until it melts over the top. Don't have a recipe, just fry the pepperoni and guesstimate on when to put the cheese on.

7. shegirl

shegirl
    Expand Collapse
    Redemption Seeking Whore

If seafood is on your list, I have a good one, scallops wrapped with bacon. Get a bunch of both use half strips of bacon to wrap and secure with a toothpick. Bake at a pretty high heat until the bacon is done. The sweet of the scallop and salt of the bacon is really good stuff. I have another involving crab meat, baguette and provolone cheese. PM if you're interested.

8. VanillaGorilla

VanillaGorilla
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

For those who are watching fat and calories- White Bean and Chicken Chili

Pot 1
    2 lbs. of bone-in chicken breast, skinned
    1 Onion, quartered and separated
    2 Carrots, rough slice
    2 Stalks Celery, rough slice
    4-5 Garlic cloves
    Some Peppercorns
    Some salt
    Herbs

Put the skinned chicken breast in a pot with the rest of the ingredients. Add enough water to cover the chicken- 3-4 cups. You will reserve the broth for the chili. Place the pot on a back burner on med. high-high heat. Bring the chicken to a boil and boil for approximately 25 minutes.

Soup Pot 2 (larger pot)
    1 T Olive oil
    1 diced onion
    2 stalks celery, diced
    3 Jalepenos, sliced (I leave the seeds and pith, but I'm a badass)
    4 Garlic cloves
    Fresh black pepper
    Salt
    3 Cans white beans, you choose the combination
    1 8 oz. can diced green chilis
    2 t Cumin
    1 t oregano

After the chicken has boiled for 10-15 minutes, combine olive oil, onions, celery, and jalepenos. Saute for about ten minutes on med-low heat. You're in no hurry. Add garlic when the onion mixture is about done.

Remove chicken pot from heat and pull the chicken out of the pot after 25 minutes total cooking time. Put the chicken on a heat resistant cutting board.

Strain three cups of chicken broth from the pot and add to the larger soup pot with sauteed onions, celery, and jalepeno. Add diced chilis.

Drain and rinse beans, add beans. Bring to a simmer. While the chili is simmering, take the now cooled chicken breast and pull chicken away from the bones with a fork. Add chicken about five minutes before it's time to serve. If needed, thicken the chili with a few tablespoons of corn starch.

There is a lot of flavor in this recipe and it's low fat, low cal.

9. Slambrarian

Slambrarian
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

My dad and I made this once but put a creamy horseradish sauce between the bacon and the scallops, then grilled them. Holy cow was it good. We might have cooked the bacon about halfway before wrapping/grilling, I cannot remember.

10. jrczj

jrczj
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

I got my hands on some ground buffalo meat over here at the commissary. I was just gonna make some patties and cook it up like regular hamburgers. Does anyone else have any suggestions of what I can do with it? Also, they had buffalo steaks over there too, anyone ever have this before?

11. katokoch

katokoch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

How d'y'all like to fry up yer catfish?

(It's Lent, so I am obligated to refrain from eating meat on Fridays. Fish, however, is the exception. Any good fish recipes, especially those for catfish?)

Some of the best damned fish I've had is the catfish that my grandmother makes... She lightly breads them and bakes them whole (gutted and skinned, of course). I do, however, think the most important thing is the fact that she would only cook fish that we had caught that day. Store-bought fish is shit compared to fresh.

12. mya

mya
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Any good tried and true Thai Fish recipes TiB? I have tried a few that I have stumbled upon via google search but none have quite hit the mark yet.

13. WWSwagger

WWSwagger
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

A friend does a pasta competition every year. They have a set group that compete in the pasta course, but everyone else that comes has side competitions, salad, dessert, etc...

Just got the call to replace someone in the dessert competition. I'm looking for any ideas, preferably Italian themed. I was leaning towards tiramisu but I'm not tied to anything. Only catch is the competition is tomorrow so I need something relatively easy ie: something I can get right on my first try.

I consider myself an above average cook, but am well below average at baking. The whole measuring out ingredients thing instead of just throwing stuff in tends to bite me in the ass.
    Thanks for any ideas you guys may have.

14. Samr

Samr
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I love fish. The fiance has only had it fried, and she couldn't stand it. A few months ago, she tried Mahi Mahi basically just grilled at a restaurant and said it was tolerable. Fish is not only tasty, it is also healthy, thusly she has agreed to try it again.

Just picked up some orange roughy (mild) fillets, was going to grill them with the basic butter, minced garlic, and lime baste, but I figured I'd check on here for any other ideas.

For someone who doesn't like fish, how would you recommend cooking it? Got any recipes?

15. IHaveCandyGetInVan

IHaveCandyGetInVan
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

This is probably a bit late, but for anyone else, here's a recipe for Maple-Glazed Bison Sausage, and Bison Sausage Bread from Hell's Kitchen in Minneapolis. The bread sounds weird but it's pretty damn tasty.

Maple-Glazed Bison Sausage

1 lb ground bison
    ¼ cup minced shallots
    ¼ cup maple syrup
    2 tbsp minced garlic
    2 tsp ground sage
    2 tsp red pepper flakes
    2 tsp fennel seed
    1 tsp dried thyme
    1 tsp white pepper
    1 tsp salt

Slowly blend all ingredients together until just mixed. Do not over-mix because this will compact the sausage and make for a drier, tougher product. Form the sausage mixture into 3 oz portions. Saute the patties about 4 minutes per side in a lightly oiled skillet over high heat.

Bison Sausage Bread

10 oz maple-glazed bison sausage (Italian sausage can be substituted)
    ¾ cup dried blueberries
    ¾ cup dark coffee
    4 eggs
    ¾ cup walnut pieces, toasted
    ¾ cup sugar
    ½ lb dark brown sugar
    2 cups all-purpose flour
    1 tsp baking powder
    1 tsp baking soda
    1 tsp cinnamon
    1 tsp ground ginger
    ¼ tsp nutmeg
    1/8 tsp ground cloves

Preheat oven to 350 F. Mix sausage, blueberries, and coffee slowly until well blended. Add the eggs one at a time, slowly mixing.

Add the remaining ingredients. Slowly beat together for 3 to 4 minutes, or until well blended.

Butter and flour a 5”x9” loaf pan. Scrape the batter into the pan and bake for about 1 ½ hours on the center rack of the oven.

16. slippingaway

slippingaway
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Bison meat is delicious, and much leaner than beef. Because it's so lean, you'll have to be a little more careful when you cook it. If you overcook it just a little bit, it will start to get tough. A good rule of thumb is to cook it slightly less than you would want the beef equivalent cooked. If you normally eat your beef steak medium, cook the bison medium rare. Personally, I wouldn't recommend a bison steak cooked any higher than medium.

As far as seasonings go, for bison I stick to salt and fresh ground black pepper. Don't cover up the bison flavor, or you might as well just buy beef.

17. Aribidi

Aribidi
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Maybe I'm already too late, but fuck it. Try this one: <a class="postlink" href="http://www.cooking.com/Recipes-and-More/recipes/Pine-Nut-Cake-recipe-1960.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.cooking.com/Recipes-and-More ... -1960.aspx</a>

It's very easy, tastes great and isn't a regular 'cake'. Good luck!

18. scotchcrotch

scotchcrotch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Not a big fan of greens, but tried a recipe for baked kale today.

Cut up some kale, toss in olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper and bake at 400 for 10 mins or so.

Tastes a little like popcorn and is the most nutrient dense vegetable.

19. Maltob14

Maltob14
    Expand Collapse
    Space Cadet

You should try an arugula salad, you might like that. Some fresh arugula, half a lemons worth of juice, a bit of olive oil and bit of fresh cracked pepper. Sometimes I put in sliced red onion but that isn't necessary. Toss and serve.

Just remembered, if you want a bit of spice in your salad, cut up some chilli peppers (you don't want too much one pepper for a small serving is more than enough) into very small pieces and mix them into a small bowl with your lemon juice and olive oil. Let it sit for 5-10 mins after mixing and then pour over the salad.

20. dewercs

dewercs
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Welcome to my nightmare, my wife is not a fan of fish, and I fish in the ocean about 20 days a year.
    My recommendation would be to start with tuna steaks, albacore or ahi (yellowfin) or even grouper and get it as fresh as you can find it. Fresh like sashimi grade fish that you can eat raw. You can use a marinade of Italian dressing or something in that vein. Get your steaks or filets about one inch thick.
    When you grill tuna or any fish for that matter do not cook it to much, that is when you get a bad dried out taste, 2-3 minutes a side is all you need. If you are up to it you can even sear the sides for 20 seconds and it will be raw inside, it is very good like that.
    What makes it palatable for my wife is the mango or pineapple salsa I top it with.
    Mango salsa
    1 ripe mango chopped into about quarter inch pieces.
    half cup chopped red onion
    1 cucumber skinned seeded and chopped
    1 jalepeno pepper chopped (any will work depends on how hot you like it)
    juice of one lime
    quarter cup of cilantro
    garlic
    salt and pepper to taste
    Make salsa at least an hour ahead of time so it can hang out with the other ingredients.

You can substitute pineapple for mango if you want.

Good luck and don't cook it to much.