Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

The General Cooking Thread

Discussion in 'Cooking' started by Blue Dog, Oct 20, 2009.

1. Currer Bell

Currer Bell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Maybe use ground chicken or turkey for the meatballs and turkey sausage for the sauce? Yeah it will be different, but might still be good. Make the sauce from scratch with fresh herbs and garlic, and that might ease the pain of not being able to flavor with beef.

2. MisterMiracle

MisterMiracle
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Even better, pork and turkey meatballs.

1/2 pound ground turkey
    1/2 pound of ground pork
    1 garlic clove minced
    1/4 cup of grater Parmesan cheese
    1 tablespoon all purpose flour
    1 minced shallot
    1 tablespoon parsley (fresh preferred)
    1 table spoon oregano
    1/2 teaspoon of red pepper chile flakes.
    2 tablespoons of olive oil (more if needed)

1) In a large bowl (preferably plastic), stir together the ingredients except the oil until blended together. Then take the meat and form into meatballs about 3/4 inch. in diameter.

2) In a large skillet, heat the oil until hot but not smoking and cook the meatballs in batches. Turn them over as they are cook or until browned throughout (4-6 minutes). Add more oil with each new batch.

Use then place the meatballs in your uncooked sauce and let it stew at about, stirring every 10-15 minutes for about an hour and letting simmer for one more hour. The pork will melt theirs juices off and add flavor to the sauce and your meatballs won't cook past medium and should remain juicy.

3. Forest Ranger

Forest Ranger
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Today I stopped in to eat at my favourite Canadian breakfast place, Cora's. Every time you go to the counter to pay, they have a terrific tray full of freshly made fudge, and beside the fudge is the recipe of how to make it.

It is a very easy and simple recipe, great for the holidays. Made a batch today in just 10 minutes.

http://www.chezcora.com/a/06-mordus-de- ... te_eng.pdf

Sorry, I am not all too good at coding the website into my message. Maybe the mods can help with that.

4. Blue Dog

Blue Dog
    Expand Collapse
    Absentee Mod

My duck, oyster, andouille, and okra gumbo:

Attached Files:

5. Crazy Wolf

Crazy Wolf
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

So, for those who appreciate a very simple meal, I'd like to introduce you to the steak sandwich. I've no pictures, but it is a simple treat that is delicious.

You'll need a steak, garlic butter, and a good French bun.

Cover the skillet or griddle or other flat smooth piece of hot metal with a liberal application of garlic butter.

Cut the steak so that it's basically cubed, but still with enough strands of muscle to hold it in the steak shape. So, it's more than "scoring" and less than "slicing".

Put the steak on the griddle, cook to preference. Toast the buns on the griddle, try pressing them down for just a few seconds at a time to help them soak up that garlic butter.

Assemble components, and eat. Enjoy the wonderful, wonderful steak, with the delicious garlic soaked in to every part of it. Orgasming is optional, but I'll let someone else tell you how to use that in a recipe.

6. Bosox

Bosox
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

I just came into some fresh venison this morning, and seeing as this is my first time cooking it, and there are some serious hunters on the board, I was wondering what kind of recipies you all would suggest. I haven't had a chance to look really closely at the meat, but it looks like a decently sized loin. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

7. effinshenanigans

effinshenanigans
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I have two go-to recipes with venison tenderloins. The first is the sweet bacon-wrapped tenderloin. The second is one I was told recently where you marinate the tenderloin in balsamic vinegar and olive oil with diced garlic and rosemary. Let it sit in the marinade for 24 hours. Then, grill it on medium heat until it's rare (or medium rare if you choose--but I don't recommend going any longer than that). As you're grilling, periodically pull the tenderloin off, dunk it in the marinade, and toss it back on the grill.

If you've got ground venison, then you can basically use it as a substitute for anything that you'd use ground beef for. However, since it's a leaner meat, if you're making something like meatballs, be sure to use a binding agent like egg or bread crumbs to hold everything together. Venison meatloaf is really good, too.

8. MisterMiracle

MisterMiracle
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Depends on where you want to take the dish. Here's a recipe I'd recommend, it's a take on Julia Child's classic recipe with Beef.

Venison Bourguignon:

Ingredients
    1 kg venison shoulder, diced
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    8 Shallots, peeled, halved
    4 cloves garlic, chopped
    250g bacon or pancetta, roughly chopped
    750ml bottle cheap shiraz
    2 tablespoons tomato paste
    400g can dice tomatoes
    Black pepper, to taste
    1 bunch thyme
    1 bunch tarragon
    3 beef stock cubes
    4 carrots, peeled and diced
    Pink murray river sea salt, to taste
    250g swiss brown mushrooms, roughly chopped

Recipe:
    1. Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large wide heavy based saucepan. Add eschallots, garlic and meat. Cook until browned all over.

2. Add all remaining ingredients, except for the mushrooms and salt. Bring to the boil. Simmer on low heat for 1hour, stirring occasionally. Add salt and mushrooms and cook for a further 15 minutes or until venison and mushrooms are tender.

Serve in a regular bowl (preferably wood) with fresh crusty bread. I'd recommend a thick hardy wine or beer (like Guiness) to pair with the dish.

If you want to add an edge, great some fresh parmesan cheese over each individual bowl before you serve

9. VanillaGorilla

VanillaGorilla
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

If you have a loin, I would follow the recipe that ES suggested. The recipe calls for baking/broiling, but I think you would be better off throwing the loin on the grill. If I'm grilling something rare/medium rare, try using lump charcoal over briquettes. The lump charcoal burns much hotter and puts a good sear on the meat while the inside gets the warm, red center that you want. As long as the coals are good and hot, you can pull the loin when the bacon is browned. You can couple the venison with grilled vegetables. I marinate mine with complimenting sauces/herb/spices and grill them as well. Small vegetables need to be skewered, while larger ones can be cut into a few pieces and put directly on the grill. Acorn squash or other hard squash are good, healthy starches that go well with game.

If you have a roast or shoulder, Mr.M offered a great recipe.

10. scotchcrotch

scotchcrotch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

My smoker was recently surpassed by another cooking instrument as my favorite of all time, a pressure cooker.

Where else can you make pulled pork in under an hour?

My favorite is the french dip recipe I customized from a few recipes I found online-

3-4 lb rump roast
    bottle of beer
    can of french onion soup
    3 cloves of garlic
    kaiser rolls
    swiss cheese

Brown the roast and add the remaining ingredients, cook for 45 minutes.

If you want to kick it up a notch, mix some mayo and horseradish and add liberally to the rolls.

11. IHaveCandyGetInVan

IHaveCandyGetInVan
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

Pan-Seared Venison with Rosemary and Dried Cherries is a favorite of mine. The big thing to keep in mind when cooking venison is that it's much leaner than beef, so it requires more effort to keep the meat tender. If you have a lesser quality cut, jerky is a nice option to ground venison or sausage.

12. MisterMiracle

MisterMiracle
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I've made a dish like this before, however you might want to try this:

http://www.medurifarms.com/razzcherries.html

instead of your regular dried cherries. They are called Razzcherries and they are dried cherries that have been infused with raspberry juice and dried out again. If you can find them they are a treat to any winter dish.

13. grubes47

grubes47
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Does anyone have any good and fairly easy recipes for New England Clam Chowder, Lobster Bisque, or Stuffed Red Pepper Soup?

14. LM225

LM225
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Nettdata's post inspired me to make some hot mulled wine. Problem is, it's wet outside and I had no intention, in my hungover state, of leaving my apartment today. So I made this slightly improvised version, and it turned out absolutely fantastic:

1 750ml bottle of a medium or full-bodied red wine (I used a Dry Creek Zin, don't get fancy here)
    1/2 cup granulated sugar
    1/4 tsp ground cloves (traditional recipes generally call for whole cloves, I didn't have them)
    4 clementines
    2 cinnamon sticks

1) Zest two of the clementines, and juice all of them. Pour the juice through a sieve.
    2) Pour the wine into a saucepan, and heat on medium-low
    3) Sift in the sugar and add cinnamon sticks, ground cloves, clementine zest and juice. Stir.
    4) Cook over low heat for 30 minutes or so until steaming. DO NOT let it simmer or boil. The key here is to cook as gently as possible.
    5) Pull out the cinnamon sticks, strain the mulled wine, pour into a big mug, sit on the couch and enjoy.

15. MisterMiracle

MisterMiracle
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Yeah dude:

4 slices bacon, diced
    1 1/2 cups chopped shallots
    10 peeled and cubed Yukon Gold fingerling potatoes
    1 1/2 tsp. sea salt
    Crushed black pepper to taste
    3 (6.5-oz.) cans minced clams
    3 cups half-and-half
    3 Tbs. butter
    1 1/2 cups water

Directions:
    Cook bacon in large kettle until almost crisp. ( I recommend getting a thicker cut of bacon from a butcher. Irish bacon works best with this recipe.)

Thinly slice your shallots and cook 5 minutes in the large kettle you've just cooked your bacon in. Once they are begin to carmelize add cubed potatoes, salt and pepper to taste and, 1 1/2 cups water. Cook uncovered 15 minutes or until potatoes are fork tender. The water needs to be nice and starchy for the next step.

Drain clams, reserving clam liquid. Add clams, 1/2 of the clam liquid, half and half, and butter to the kettle. Mix well and heat about 3 minutes or until heated through. Do not allow to boil. Serve with oyster crackers.

(This is for the more advanced cook)

Substitute a half Cherrystone clams for the canned clams. Place the clams in a colander that's large enough to fit over a large pot of boiling water. Let the clams steam over the boiling water until they open. Take the clams off the makeshift steamer and separate the meat from the shells. Then dice or mince the clams. What this does is infuse the water used for boiling with the juice from the unopened clams and will add a very strong ocean flavor to the water. If you want the clam flavor of the water to be stronger then you simply need to boil it a bit more so that you reduce the liquid. The clam water will be almost white at this point and will act as a strong broth.

Use the broth instead of regular tap water in the recipe above and it will give your chowder a richer flavor then just using plain tap water.

If you want to add a smoky flavor to the dish then you should dice the potatoes and slowly fry them in olive oil until they become slightly browned. Do not over fry them or the potatoes won't be able to release their starch when you boil them later.

Lastly, I always add a tablespoon of Sriracha to the dish while the potatoes are boiling away. This will give the chowder a nice little kick. I've also seen this recipe done with a 1/4 cup of Guiness added early in the boil which will add a nice hint of barley flavor. You can still add a lot of different things to a soup like this, white wine, celery, carrots, leeks, etc. By all means use this recipe as an open ended blue print and experiment a little until you've found what flavors work for you.

Let me know how it works out for you.

16. rezy

rezy
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

I also just recently got my hands on a venison roast. Was looking for any other ideas on how to prepare it. Trying to avoid using bacon as my step dad is going to eat it and has high blood pressure and all of that fun stuff, so the lower the salt content the better. Thanks

17. Blue Dog

Blue Dog
    Expand Collapse
    Absentee Mod

Here's how I do my deer roasts- its about as easy as can be. The thing to remember with these is that they are extremely lean, so the only way to really get it tender is to cook it low and slow.

Vension Roast
    kosher salt
    black pepper
    garlic powder
    Vegetable oil
    2 cans golden mushroom sup
    2 boxes of beef brother
    2 large onions- cut into strips
    1 pack chopped mushrooms
    1 pack baby carrots
    4-5 medium yukon gold potatoes, peeled
    rice

Preheat oven to 350. Heat a little bit of oil in a large cast iron or magnalite pot. Season roast with the above spices, and then sear all sides. Then, add the onions, mushroom soup, and beef broth, scrap the bottom of the pot to release any drippings, and then throw into the oven. Cook for about 2-3 hours. Then, throw in your carrots, potatoes, and mushrooms and cook for another couple of hours. If you notice that the liquid is reducing too much at any time, just stir in some water. Serve over rice.

After this amount of time, the roast should come out nice and tender. I have always thought that the seasonings come out perfect as well, so there was never any need to add more salt. But feel free to play around with this though. One variation is to add a little Madeira wine throughout the process, which gives it a nice little kick.

18. Bouchedag

Bouchedag
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

I have found, that you can put montreal steak seasoning on almost anything. thats the only thing i know about cooking.

19. manbehindthecurtain

manbehindthecurtain
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I bought a rib roast for our christmas party, it is a 12lb roast, 5 bones, and well over 14inches long.
    This is by far the biggest rib roast I have ever purchased.

A couple questions:

1) Since it is so long, should I cut it and half and roast the halves side by side?
    2) Just underneath the rib bones, embedded in the fleshy red meat, there are another sequence of bones that I think are going to interfere with when I try carving off the ribs before slicing when it is cooked. What are these bones and should I remove them? They are placed in between and about an inch lower than the rib bones:

R R R R R
    x x x x

Thanks

20. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I love to cook mine in my crock pot.

I cut up some potatoes and leeks into big pieces/chunks, and layer them on the bottom of the crock pot.
    Put in the roast, then pour in a combination of V8 juice and beef or chicken broth, just enough to cover the roast.

Add a few cloves of diced garlic, a few tablespoons of whole peppercorn, and a few dashes of Lea and Perrins to taste.

Let the thing cook overnight or all day on low heat, and you're good to go.

The meat is tender as can be, and will fall off the bone... you won't need a knife, as the meat will just fall apart.

Save the juice and the potatoes/leeks, and blend them all together for a nice little aux jus, and you're good to go.