Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Rant & Rave Thread

Discussion in 'Permanent Threads' started by Joel Raymond, Oct 19, 2009.

1. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Rave: Just deleted/deactivated all of my social media accounts (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, FourSquare), assumingly for good. It's a bizarrely liberating feeling, it must be what slaves felt after the Civil War. But in all seriousness, I realized how long I was spending on this crap that amounts to nothing but joy-joy things for my own vanity's sake. I actually had a friend ask me, "How are you going to know about parties and stuff when theres no way to invite you?" I then slaughtered him on the spot. But really, it's depressing to think that society has come to this and that form of interaction, and I don't want to deal with it anymore. I had a friend from High School, whom I haven't spoken too since, contact me this weekend through Facebook chat. "What's up man," he said. Nothing bozo, and who are you kidding? You don't give a shit anyway.

Rave # Dos: This place notwithstanding. I dont count it in the same vein, as it's actually interesting and a hidden gem of humor on the web unlike anywhere else. If this is my only mode of online interaction, even with people I don't know IRL (see how I talk now??), so be it.

2. Ton80

Ton80
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Rant: My left pinky toe is swollen to about twice its normal size, hurts like hell to the touch, and I have no idea why. I'm off to the Dr. this afternoon for a look, but it sucks in the meantime.

3. Guy Fawkes

Guy Fawkes
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Rave: Being unplugged, unencumbered, and largely unreachable for a little over 2 weeks was the best thing I could have done. It was the perfect recharge. Hiked and sailed all over the Southeast. Met some awesome people along the way too.

Rave: I've decided that doing the above is the only way to really relax for me.

Rant: It's over, I'm back, and of course there is a pile of stuff waiting for me when I head into the office tomorrow.

Rave: Email from my boss proposing a new title, compensation, and responsibilities more in line with what I actually want to do. The biggest plus is no more employees. Just me, myself, and I doing sales on large projects. This is really the only option to keep me in this line of work.

4. bigtom0404

bigtom0404
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Rant & Rave Thread

Rant: I am digging this tapatalk app but it took me 15 minutes to figure out how to reply and it has to be done by shaking my iPhone, surely there is a different way?

5. Angel_1756

Angel_1756
    Expand Collapse
    The Big Four-Oh

Rant: Our accounting department are the biggest bunch of clusterfucks. They make "mandatory project tracking" spreadsheets that are rife with typos and formula errors, they over-write documents all the time without checking to see if pertinent information has changed, they fuck up my client's billing every single month. These are well-paid, allegedly well-educated people. WHAT THE FUCK? How can you be so fucking stupid?

Well, I guess I'm off to write another "I'm so sorry you got your invoice in GBP, Takahashi-san. I certainly understand that, being in Japan, you would prefer to be billed in Yen. Our accountants will re-issue that invoice as soon as possible" letter.

Fucking accountants.

(With sincere apologies to those accountants who are competent and capable.)

6. Gravitas

Gravitas
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Rant: I was on hold for an hour and a half only to be told 2 sentences worth of information. To top it all off those sentences gave me the indication that I will not receive unemployment benefits and that puts me in a fairly dire financial situation. I can't say I am surprised, but it still sucks.

7. Nick

Nick
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Rant: Extreme diarrhea since around 7pm on Saturday. Found out this morning that there were water boil advisories in several cities across Broward County due to an E. coli outbreak this weekend. I don't live in the affected areas, but played golf in one on Saturday AM and drank lots of non-bottled water on the course.

It's so bad today that I've been taking my shirt and tie off in the stall as a precautionary measure.

8. shimmered

shimmered
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

rave:
    1 more person signs up and I'll have hit a huge milestone.
    rant:
    Lots of callers, no takers.

9. rei

rei
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

RANT: IT shit
    So I need to set up a PowerHA Oracle environment, using our standards and procedures. Unfortunately
    1: Half the required steps are completely missing from the SOP
    2: the network team hasn't allocated proper resources

Both of these are MY fault, and my performance is unacceptable.

10. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

Rant: I drank a liter of water 15 minutes ago and now I need to piss like a racehorse. I wish these people would get out of the testing room so I can run to the bathroom. Jesus, quit staring blankly at the results of your test. Yes, you passed. I have to piss. Now!

11. JoeCanada

JoeCanada
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

RANT: The fucking neighbours must have gone away and just left their dog in their yard, because he's been barking/howling for the last 24 goddamn hours. It's not the dogs fault, but shut the fuck up, dog! I'm going to beat your owners with a tire iron when they get back.

12. scootah

scootah
    Expand Collapse
    New mod

rant: I'm doing about three peoples jobs. All of which I'm mostly qualified for. One is usually just something I do when needed, with the support of a grownup supervisor.

Cisco and comms isn't really my thing. I know what I'm doing - but I have to think about it and check documents and shit. I'm white listing a bunch of IP blocks through our firewall, but they're odd sized ranges (IE mostly not /24's) - so i've spent like 2 hours with a calculator figuring out which ones are /16's, /27's, /29's, /18's and /19's). This should be such a fucking simple thing - but because it's something I just never have to do, it's taking so much fucking longer than it should.

something?: I'm pretty well paid. Like 3 times national average well paid. There's downsides and most of my money goes to debt collectors. But I take a lot of money away from my employer. I'm one of the lower paid guys in my group. Lots of huge brains, electrical engineers, massive math geeks. I listen to these guys talk about the problems they're solving and it's like listening to someone speaking fucking japanese. I know a few words when I hear them, but I've got no idea what the fuck they're saying. The upside is a bunch of the stuff I do, they're equally clueless about - I do occasionally get to feel smart. But jesus crap these guys have gigantic brains.

13. Trakiel

Trakiel
    Expand Collapse
    Call me Caitlyn. Got any cake?

Rant/Rave? So I've decided that after 14 years I'm going to grow a beard again. Since I prefer my cheeks and jaw to be smooth I decide to try the moustache + goatee look, basically this:

[​IMG]

We'll see if I can pull it off.

Edit: Are there any beard grooming tools I should be getting?

14. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

[​IMG]

WILL, YOU BETTER NOT SHAVE IT.

Rant: Between projects at work, meaning I have nothing to do. It's going to be a long week.

Rave: I'll be in Italy in exactly 2 months. Can't effin wait.

15. JoshP

JoshP
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Rave: I start my new job on Aug 1st for a really great company that is known world wide and headquartered here in San Francisco. With a base salary + commission. My days for working 100% commission are behind me it would seem.

GRAPHIC
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEq0drkcilk&feature=share

Rant: I hate how communities get all up in arms over cops doing their job. So here in SF a guy was violating his parole for trying to solicit sex from a 14 year old, he was wanted for questioning in the murder of a pregnant woman, and he was shooting at the cops as he ran away.

16. ex Animo

ex Animo
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Rant:

Have to go back home to the Bay Area tomorrow. Fuck. I've really been enjoying my time here in Long Beach, CA. So much to do and the people have been really nice - at least to me. I don't know where everyone gets the idea that people in this part of California are stuck up and what not.

In any case, not excited to go back or go to work, but I am excited for my Chicago trip in 2 weeks.

Fuck. Yes.

17. Seeker

Seeker
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Rave: Should be writing my paper but fuck it, it's only two pages. I've been waiting 6 years for this book. Two chapters into aDwD and loving it.

18. AlmostGaunt

AlmostGaunt
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Fucking Rave! Oh sweet, blessed, Gods of entertainment, truly you have answered my prayers this day. Ladies and Gentleman, may I present http://fiverr.com/ , where a bunch of desperate poor people will humiliate themselves for you for $5. Finest site ever made. This could possibly a thread in its own right, but I'm too busy making evil plans to do it.

For an example of an incredible use of this site, check out http://www.regretsy.com/2011/07/18/cf4l/#comments , password cf4l

19. Moose

Moose
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Rave: I love living in the country and having the space to do things like this. A nice way to spend a birthday with some good friends.

Go ahead, make some sort of cow joke. I wouldn't expect anything less from y'all.

Attached Files:

20. fleafly

fleafly
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

RANT: Sometimes I feel like I'm a freaking basket case.
    RAVE: Only two and a half more days of work this week, then it's an afternoon baseball game and Car Craft this weekend.
    RANT: Parts were still at the powder coater yesterday.
    RAVE: He should be overnighting the parts so we might be rolling large into Car Craft!