Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Tuesday Sober Thread: The Greatest Generation

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DrFrylock, Dec 7, 2010.

1. Frebis

Frebis
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

You know as well as I do, during the Christmas season it is the thought that counts.

2. MoreCowbell

MoreCowbell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

And let's face it: at the end of the day, we did not fight World War II to save the Jews from Hitler. Sure, it was a nice benefit, but we no more did it for this reason than we went into Afghanistan to build schools.

3. thatone

thatone
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

My sole surviving grandfather managed to make his way through a concentration camp (Jasenovac) dressed as a little girl. Otherwise, he would have been killed.

My other grandfather? I have no idea. For all I know he could have been a guard there.

4. Rob4Broncos

Rob4Broncos
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

JaMarcus Russell wouldn't be drafted #1 overall, that's for fucking sure.

5. $100T2

$100T2
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

My great uncle was one of four Fleet Admirals (five stars in a circle on his collar) in the history of the Navy.

<a class="postlink" href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fleet_Admiral_%28United_States%29" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fleet_Admi ... _States%29</a>

That generation is awesome, and I'm glad to have met as many of them as I have. I also visited the USS Missouri when it was in Bremerton every summer when I was a kid. My great uncle and the Missouri were the two reasons I joined the Navy.

6. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The "Greatest Generation" as a term is good old-fashioned, Tom Brokaw, History-Channel American bullshit. We don't talk about vets from Vietnam, Korea, Iraq or any of the other conflicts we've been in since 1945 with the same respect, and that shit has got to stop.

The generation of Americans that grew up during the Depression and fought WW2 deserve our respect and admiration for what they sacrificed. There is no mistaking that. However, they did some pretty awful shit later in life. Anyone recall the 1970's as being a particularly inspiring time for Americans? Or how about the fact that if you were not a white, Christian, heterosexual male, chances are the Greatest Generation made your life a living hell after the war?

Appreciate the sacrifices, but don't gloss over the fact that the "Greatest Generation" had more than their share of responsibility in running this place into the ground through arrogance, ineptitude, prejudice and greed. Also, keep in mind that they were scared shitless of the Nazis, the Commies, the Japanese and any other perceived threat that could be turned into propaganda.

Both my grandfathers served on Navy ships during Korea, and my godfather was in the South Pacific during WW2 on a navy boat. I fervently admire these men for what they did for their country. They were heroes, but they had their shortcomings, just like anyone else.

7. redbullgreygoose

redbullgreygoose
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed