Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

An Idiot Abroad

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Juice, Jan 23, 2011.

1. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

I hadnt heard of this show before last night, but a buddy of mine turned me on to it. Its about Ricky Gervais and Steve Merchant sending one of their friends Karl (said Idiot) around the world to visit the 7 Wonders. He has very little knowledge of anything outside of England and judges everything he sees based on preconceived stereotypes. During each excursion Gervais calls him to check up on him and make fun of him frequently.

This show is pretty funny and its basically the opposite of all the jetsetter shows on the Travel channel. Ive only seen one episode where Karl visits China.

In the US it airs on Discovery Science.

#1 Juice, Jan 23, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
  2. iczorro

iczorro
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I love the animated Ricky Gervais show on HBO, that has these three sitting around talking about random shit. I caught about half of the half hour preview show for this last night and immediately scheduled it on my DVR.

Brilliant.

3. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

FYI, Lyle first mentioned the show in the "Suggest a show" thread last November, HERE.

4. kuhjäger

kuhjäger
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I have actually slapped my knee during this show, and that has never happened.

But honestly, Karl is way smarter than they are trying to portray him.

5. gnowee

gnowee
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Well his inability of using logic doesn't really shine through that much in this show, but watch any one episode of "The Ricky Gervais show" and then tell me he's not a moron.

6. mya

mya
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Watched this last night, funny funny stuff. I don't know if Karl is an idiot or idiot savant, but he makes me laugh. His take on the bears at The Great (or Alright) Wall of China made we laugh out loud while I was on the elliptical machine all by myself so much that I had to stop for a moment. And then his take on India, with getting whiplash from looking from one strange thing to another. I loved how the only aspect that he enjoyed about India was the freakshow of the babas. The show is pretty brilliant

7. dubyu tee eff

dubyu tee eff
    Expand Collapse
    Thinks he has a chance with Christina Hendricks...

This show led me to the Ricky Gervais Show. If you guys like this at all, check out that show as well. Basically, Ricky, Stephen Merchant, and Karl Pilkington did a fairly long running podcast. The show takes those podcasts and adds animation to them. It sounds like a lame way to make a show out of a podcast but the animations really contribute a lot. It is just the three of them sitting around talking...it is also non-stop hilarity. Karl Pilkington might be the most interesting man alive. After watching a few episodes, I had to get the 3 books Karl has written (basically his diaries) and I finished all three in about 4 days. Couldn't put them down. Endless supply of hilarious quotes. I got them on my kindle and started off highlighting the best quotes, but I had to stop because I as highlighting every other paragraph.

Again, highly recommend.

8. Celos

Celos
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

They kicked off season 2 a little over a week ago and 2 episodes are already out. This time around, he's picking stuff from a "top 100 things to do before you die" list. The first episode had him spend a night on a desert island, the second I just finished watching was him on the Trans-Siberian Express. I believe I'm not exaggerating when I say the last one is the funniest thing he's ever done.

9. Malignity

Malignity
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

Tonight is the final episode of season 2, so I am really looking forward to being able to download the season tomorrow.

10. Celos

Celos
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Tonight? There should be 3 more episodes, no? This season is by far the most brilliant thing on TV I've seen this year. It'd be sad to see it end this soon.

11. iczorro

iczorro
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I have not been able to find season 2 on tv.

12. jets22

jets22
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

13. Malignity

Malignity
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

Ah, my mistake. For some reason I had it in my head that there was only 6 episodes. Turns out there is 8, so another 2 to go since episode 6 was aired last night. Climb Mount Fugi and Karl comes home, are the last 2 episodes.

I was really looking forward to this season ending as I only download a show once it's season has finished.

14. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

The second season of this show has been fucking hilarious.

The whole "Bucket List" concept, where it's not HIS bucket list, is a great concept.

I'm watching episode 6 where he's experiencing a Cuddle Party on Route 66, and the level of discomfort is palpable.

Awesomely so.

Attached Files:

15. Malignity

Malignity
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

Season 2 really was great.

16. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

This show is fantastic. Me and The Girlfriend were in tears by the end of episode one. I sincerely hope Karl isn't quite this retarded, but it's somehow better thinking he is.

17. Celos

Celos
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Season 3 has kicked off and the second episode is out already. This time Karl is following the route Marco Polo took from Venice to China. And he has company in the form of a midget in a bicycle basket. The first episode was brilliant. Warwick and Karl make a great team, mostly because it's an extra thing for Karl to moan about.