Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Recommend a Show

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Nettdata, Oct 24, 2009.

1. Arms Akimbo

Arms Akimbo
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Warren the Ape - It's a spinoff of Greg the Bunny. The premise is that Warren was a famous actor whose heavy use of drugs, alcohol and sex lead to his downfall in Hollywood. Now he's trying to mount a comeback, and is using it as a premise for a reality show. It is rather vulgar with frequent references to sex and drugs.

The pilot (which is currently available for free on itunes and here) starts with Warren's shrink (Dr. Drew) trying to help him get on the right path. This includes swallowing his pride and doing "lesser" acting roles, like commercials. Even that is proving to be difficult though.

Being that this is on MTV, I see it running 12 episodes until they cancel it and just make money from the DVD sales.

2. JoshP

JoshP
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

How has nobody mentioned the funniest god damn show from our neighbors to the north?
    Trailer Park Boys, this show is absolutely ridiculous. It is a "Mockumentary" like The Office, but its just about these guys in a trailer park always pulling scams, and the insanity that ensues when idiots combine forces. Awesome show.

Also I am surprised no one has mentioned Sons of Anarchy. Awesome show on FX, if you haven’t seen the first 2 seasons do so, because shit is about to hit the fan in season 3.

And then a +1 vote for:
    Curb Your Enthusiasm
    The Big Bang Theory
    It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia
    Arrested Development (RIP)
    Bones
    Dexter

3. satan rae

satan rae
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Misfits

A friend recommended this show as I am a HUGE Doctor Who (new and old) fan. The only thing I do not like about it would be the fact there are not many episodes. All of the epps. can be found on Ninja Video

4. Joka

Joka
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I'm vert, very late on this show, but I can't help but say how fucking awesome the show ROME is. Most of season 1 is on demand for people who own HBO. Its set in the time where Ceaser was tring to take over Rome and turning it to a empire.
    I couldn't well do this show justice with my words so i'll just borrow from wiki

It only runs for 2 seasons, but fortunately they're devloping a movie soon.

Titus Pullo might as well be my favorite character ever wrtten in the HBO universe

5. lust4life

lust4life
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Check your local listings for a PBS show called Breakfast America. A one-hour show where they travel around the US visiting different breakfast-only spots. Fun to watch, and you can pick up some good breakfast cooking tips (e.g., baste potatoes in bacon grease, bake, then dice up for home fries. Does the miracle of bacon know no bounds?)

6. Guy Fawkes

Guy Fawkes
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The Whitest Kids You Know.

No idea how I haven't heard of this show until now.

If you liked The State and UCB or other sketch comedy shorts then I highly recommend you give this show a chance.

The Racist Juror short had me rolling

#66 Guy Fawkes, Jul 24, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
  7. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Sherlock

It's a new BBC series that is a modern day adaptation of the classic Sherlock Holmes stories.

Just caught the first episode (A Study In Pink), and I was very impressed with it.

It seems that there are only 3 episodes in the first series, to test the water, but it's off to a great start.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00t4pgh" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00t4pgh</a>

8. satan rae

satan rae
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I was coming to post this exact thing.
    Its was created by Steven Moffat who has written/directed some of the new Doctor Who episodes.

9. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

The Deep

It's a 5-part BBC sci-fi series starring Minni Driver.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00tc8r5" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00tc8r5</a>

[​IMG]

I just finished watching the whole series, and really, REALLY enjoyed it.

Fairly solid story, exceptional special effects, and overall a very enjoyable experience.

Highly recommended.

88/100

10. Guy Fawkes

Guy Fawkes
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Beyond Survival with Les Stroud.

This guy is amazing. I loved his survival show and this is even better. He goes out to remote parts of the world without an interpreter and lives with the locals, participating in everyday life.

11. waldo

waldo
    Expand Collapse
    Should still be lurking

Swamp People

Its on History Channel Sunday night, it follows several different guys for Louisiana during the 30 day gator hunting season. The people on the show are totally what you would expect when you think of good ole southern gator hunters. They edit the actual killing of the gator kind of weird but the show is still pretty interesting.

12. Durej

Durej
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I seen that it was mentioned earlier but I really think I need to post a trailer for Sons of Anarchy. It's going into its third season if you havent seen the first 2 I highly recommend checking it out.

#72 Durej, Sep 6, 2010
  13. Dcc001

Dcc001
    Expand Collapse
    New Bitch On Top

For anyone who hasn't caught it this week, keep your eye open on your local PBS station for Ken Burns' The Tenth Inning, his epilogue to the Baseball miniseries he did a few years back. It's an exceptional piece. Even if you don't like the sport, Burns makes it so interesting, and TTI focuses on the modern era, so the games and players are recognizable to most casual fans.

14. Dr. Gonzo Esquire

Dr. Gonzo Esquire
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

#74 Dr. Gonzo Esquire, Oct 4, 2010
  15. lyle

lyle
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

If any of you out there liked the Ricky Gervais show (or any of his podcasts) you will love 'An Idiot Abroad'

It basically was an excuse for Ricky Gervais to put Karl Pilkington through hell as he went to see the 7 wonders of the world.

I can not recommend it enough, every episode was hilarious from start to finish.

#75 lyle, Nov 8, 2010
  16. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Agreed. I've seen all 7 episodes now, and they are fucking HILARIOUS.

Gervais sends one of his friends, who he describes as a real-life Homer Simpson, to the 7 wonders of the world, as what he describes his biggest practical joke ever. "Nothing is funnier to me than seeing him in the corner being poked with a stick... and he's a friend."

There are some cool things you get to see, but his reactions and the way he deals with various things are damn funny.

17. dubyu tee eff

dubyu tee eff
    Expand Collapse
    Thinks he has a chance with Christina Hendricks...

I'll third lyle and nettdata. I felt like watching something new and saw their recommendation and decided to check it out. Show is fucking hilarious. Karl may be a bit dense but his reactions and opinions on stuff are hilarious. And I fucking wait all episode to hear Ricky Gervais' cackle.

18. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Lyle just pointed out to me that there were actually 8 episodes of Idiot Abroad. The last one is a recap wrap-up and is funny as hell.

19. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Just watched the first episode of a new BBC comedy called "Come Fly With Us".

Its done in the manner of a BBC documentary, and is pretty funny.

Has potential. Not sure how it'll develop, but I hope it'll go well.

20. toddus

toddus
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Blue Mountain State is criminally underrated. Check it out.