Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Recommend a Show

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Nettdata, Oct 24, 2009.

1. Guest

Expand Collapse

I am highly surprised that most American's watch our shows, because I cannot stand any British TV show especially when you guys produce such shows as The Wire, Mad Men, Entourage etc.

Since I have exhausted the above, I went in search of new shows to watch, the two that I have stumbled across are brilliant. My recommendations are as follows:

I am sure most of you are aware of the following, but for those that have not yet seen or heard about the following-enjoy!

Hung Comedy/Drama
    When a former high school legend Ray Drecker, is now just a middle-aged high basketball coach/History teacher who's family is in ruins, there comes a time when one must re-evaluate your life, this show is absolutely hilarious as Ray finds a way to put his life back together through using his BIGGEST asset.
    Signed second season

Human Target Action/Adventure/Drama
    Think Bourne combined with Bond and the Human Target delivers on that note. Mercenary Christopher Chance is no ordinary bodyguard as he impersonates several roles to draw his clients killer's out in the open.

Notable mentions
    -White Collar Signed second season
    -Eastbound and Down

2. Samr

Samr
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Did anyone else catch The Marriage Ref last night after the Olympics? That was pretty damn funny, and I can't wait to see it in the hour-long format.

3. Maltob14

Maltob14
    Expand Collapse
    Space Cadet

Another vote for Human Target. It's pretty entertaining and doesn't try to be more than it really is.

4. effinshenanigans

effinshenanigans
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I don't remember who, but didn't someone on here say that they were going to be on an upcoming TV show because they had their dog stuffed?

5. Samr

Samr
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Please tell me you are not joking. That part was absolutely hilarious, and I don't know how many discussions I have had with friends, co-workers, and professors since that time debating the relative pros and cons of pet taxidermy.

For the record, if that person really is on here, and it's the husband, he's fucking insane. If it's the wife, she's both hot and funny.

6. LessTalk MoreStab

LessTalk MoreStab
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

A mate of mine gave me the full series of "Gavin & Stacey" I had never heard of it before but the GF and I have been loving it. It's pretty rare that I laugh at a tv show, this one sets me of 2-3 times per episode. Apparently a US version is being made, this will almost certainly suck.

<a class="postlink" href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gavin_&_Stacey" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gavin_&_Stacey</a>

7. Ganimedes

Ganimedes
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

QI, Quite Interesting, is a UK show headed by Stephen Fry that I've been mainlining since I discovered it. Your milage may vary depending on your stance on the comedic value of dry british wit but I find it absolutely hilarious.

Fry poses impossible questions to the panel members who are then rewarded or punished based on how interesting or boring their answers are. Off the top of my head they've covered the correct floor to throw a cat out of (depending on wether you want it to survive or die), what spiderwebs look like if you feed spiders LSD, what to do with the heart of a black donkey, why butterflies, etc, etc. It's basically shakesperian prose mixed with dick jokes. And dick jokes.

#47 Ganimedes, Mar 28, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
  8. iczorro

iczorro
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Has anybody else been watching Life on discovery? I may end up buying this series and Planet Earth, both in BluRay. Some of the coolest visuals I've ever seen. My jaw literally dropped open watching the sardine school move around predators. If only it wasn't narrated by fucking Oprah...

(copied over from the drunk thread for relevancy)

9. fourtytwo

fourtytwo
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

When you buy it, buy from Canada and you'll get David Attenborough as the narrator instead of Oprah.

10. bean

bean
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Yet another BBC show that someone told me about and cannot believe I haven't heard of it:

Spooks

#50 bean, Apr 5, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
  11. iczorro

iczorro
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

OK, so if you haven't watched Bones at all, it may look like a stereotypical procedural. It's not. It's character driven, much the same as House, but the ep-to-ep storylines are much less repetitive. In any case:
    This last ep almost broke my heart. Her turning him down after the long awaited reveal was crushing. The only point of hope is the spoiler i read a year ago that when they renewed the show for two years ahead of time, they said they would use season five to deconstruct them, and season six to get the happy ending. I'm looking forward to Bones: season 6 as a much more invested Office: Season 3.

12. Guy Fawkes

Guy Fawkes
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Is anyone watching Party Down?

Fucking hilarious show about a bunch of wannabe actors who work for a party catering/hosting company in LA. It's directed by Fred Savage and Paul Rudd is one of the exec producers/writers. It's on the Starz network which is probably why I hadn't heard about it. Already entering its second season but season one came out on video three weeks ago so it's on Graboid and piratesbay.

13. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I saw it mentioned somewhere, but it didn't seem like the premise was anything other than a disaster waiting to air... never bothered to catch an episode.

You recommend it?

14. iczorro

iczorro
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I watched the first season on Netflix, and I gotta say... There's a reason it made so many "Best TV of '09" lists, despite being on a minor pay channel. Very well written, Ken Marino is always awesome, and lots of great guests.

15. Guy Fawkes

Guy Fawkes
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I've watched 3 episodes and it's funny. Great cameo appearances and it has Jane Lynch who I love. I definitely recommend it. You'll be able to tell if you like it or not based on the first episode.

16. fourtytwo

fourtytwo
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

I would give it more than just the first episode. It doesn't really hit its stride until half way through the season. First episodes feel like a The Office ripoff, but that diminishes over the course of the season to some extent. Realistically, though, there are some pretty significant parallels that may turn some people off.

17. Liberace

Liberace
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Anyone watch Cougar Town?

It's probably off-putting by the title and that Courtney Cox stars, but this show is downright hilarious this season. The writing gets funnier and funnier each episode. Most similar to a mix of Scrubs and Seinfeld humor.

The show has got a pretty fast pace and all the jokes/plot lines created always arc back to an even funnier punchline/conclusion.

18. Samr

Samr
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Am I the only one that watches River Monsters on Animal Planet?

Unlike the majority of what AP has, this show is actually legit. The dude goes to different rivers (like the Congo, Mississippi and the Amazon) and catches all kinds of ridiculously deadly fish.

This could be absolutely insane as a Discovery Channel show, and them not limiting it to just fresh water. But still, it is EASILY worth a dvr.

19. slippingaway

slippingaway
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I love this show too. My only complaint is that it seems like every time I see it come up on the guide, it turns out to be an episode I've already seen. They need more different episodes if they want to have that many showings on the channel.

The Congo episode, when he finds out the villagers are blaming him for the chief's brother disappearing, was intense. That guy has some brass balls.

20. slippingaway

slippingaway
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

My wife told me that they're finally pulling their heads out of their asses and renaming the show next season. Apparently they showed clips to focus groups without telling them the name and they loved it, then when they told them the name they didn't like it nearly as much.