Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Rant & Rave Thread

Discussion in 'Permanent Threads' started by Joel Raymond, Oct 19, 2009.

1. E. Tuffmen

E. Tuffmen
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

RANT: For a long time my dog has had a habit of eating socks or my wife's hair bands. We cannot get her to stop. No matter how well we try to keep these things out of her reach, she manages to find one every once in a while. She usually shits them out with no problem after being a little sick for a day or so, but for the last 3 days she has not been looking well, and yesterday she was vomiting (just a little bit here and there) and couldn't hold food down. She's drinking water and has stopped puking, but still does not look like she feels well. I really hope she's not going to need surgery. Vet here we come.

2. StayFrosty

StayFrosty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

RAVE: Brakes are bled and fixed, ABS valve replaced this morning.

RANT: My sinuses are having a fucking fit, and my chest is heartily adding to the ruckus. I might have gotten better overnight had I slept more than one hour, or had I not drank milk that may have been rotten. Regardless, my stomach, asshole, and everything between have spent the past four hours threatening to present a small scale recreation of the Tsar Bomba.

RANT: I have to work. Never mind that in the industry I work in, I am currently a walking, breathing health code violation. Fuck that. I'm more the embodiment of somebody shitting on the health code manual, handing it to the inspector, and saying "Here's your sanitation guidelines, asshole."

RAVE: Tsar Bomba is still just a threat.

3. Seeker

Seeker
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Rave: Start of a new semester means "I haven't seen you in a week" sex from my girlfriend and later tonight a nice bag of greenery. God bless college.

4. hoju

hoju
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Rant: I've said before on here that my girlfriend is an emergency veterinarian. Today I went to visit her at work and I still can't shake off what I saw. While I was there a critical patient came in. It was a 2 year old Boxer whose owner decided to breed it. She had never been to a vet before. Ever.
    Who has a dog, never takes it to a vet, then thinks its a good idea to breed it? White trash, thats who. Anyway, 4 days ago she gave birth to 3 puppies. The next day she gave birth to 4 dead ones. They waited another day and a half to bring her in because she wasn't feeling well. You know why she wasn't feeling well? Because she had a dead puppy hanging out of her vag. Fucking hell, the smell was atrocious. I will never forget that smell.
    The moral of the story is: Fuck people.

Rave: My girlfriend, and soon to be fiance, is a wonderful person who has more patience, love and compassion than I could ever hope to possess. If I did what she does I would end up punching half of the people I saw.

Also, if you ever have to take your pet to an emergency vet dont bitch about the money. They aren't trying to price gouge you or rip you off. Yes, it can be expensive, but your pet should deserve the best you can do.

5. dewercs

dewercs
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Rant: while installing windshield on golf cart pushed hard on the screw gun and stuck the spinning philipshead bit into my index finger right below the first joing about 3/8 of an inch deep. It was a bit unsettling to see bits of fatty finger tissue on a screw gun.

Rave: my wife has a fucking windshield on her golf cart, and I missed all needed inside workings of my finger and only have sweet puncture wound.

6. rei

rei
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Minor Rant: Boss forgot to tell me that my desk was temporary and isn't around to give me a new desk

Minor Rave: Working in the caf means no awkward people looking over my shoulder and demanding to know why I'm reading the relevant pages of the documentation I'm reading. And, yknow, posting in TIB

7. jennitalia

jennitalia
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Rant: There is so much fucking snow that a snow removal truck got stuck at the end of my street. How the fuck does this happen?

Rave: My Explorer has had no problem getting through it.

8. T0KEN

T0KEN
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

RANT:

Since the new year began I have:

• Lost my iPhone 4 (Like 2 hours into the new year, hooray!)
      Lost my Ray-Bans in the ocean
      Accidentally put down a (losing) $1000 sports bet instead of a $100 bet
      Fucked up my Jeep (and the resulting 200km, $300 tow)
      $300+ speeding fine (still waiting for it to arrive, ironically 10 minutes before my car busted)

2011, you expensive whore.

RAVE:

Just spent 4 days down the shack, drinking and swimming.
    Also my Dad bought his dream place down the coast last year, so for xmas we ditched the whole family thing and buggered off there for a week. BBQ xmas turkey, yes please!

9. Whatthe...

Whatthe...
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

RAVE: Went down the bobsled track at COP. Ripping down the track at 118km/hr was pretty amazing.

RANT: Only got up to 118km/hr. It started snowing and the track started slowing down a bit. Although I'm not sure if there would be much difference between 124km/hr (first run without snow) and 118km/hr.

RANT: Felt like I lost 3" due to the G-Forces. I felt something like 4.5G's going around a couple of corners. I can't believe athletes do multiple runs a day.

10. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Rave: Thought "The Cape" was pretty good. It has potential.

Rant: There needs to be MUCH more attention paid to Summer Glau's smoking hot legs. (She'll always be River Tam to meeeeeee!)

And, after they win, so nobody thinks I'm jumping on the bandwagon . . .

Rave: WAR DAMN EAGLE!

11. Guy Fawkes

Guy Fawkes
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Rant: Still sick. Now without a voice above a whisper.

Rant: The pooch can convincingly ignore my calls to him to come in. I know the little fucker can still hear me.

Rave: Having awesome neighbors. I've complained before that the majority of my neighborhood is older retired folks. I ran into one of them yesterday at the general store as I was buying cold medicine. Word of my sickness must have spread through the porch sitters network because I've had three deliveries of soup, baked ham, and chili today from some of them. Old folks are awesome. &/or they want me to be better before it snows on Wednesday since I clear all their driveways.

12. Maltob14

Maltob14
    Expand Collapse
    Space Cadet

Rave: Does it get any better than playoffs, cold weather and booze for two days?

Rave: Yes it does. Home made seafood chowder.

Rant: Most of us know him through Band of Brothers, but Major Winters is dead at 92.

13. E. Tuffmen

E. Tuffmen
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

RAVE: Didn't have to take the dog to the vet. She just perked up on her own and seems perfectly fine now. Must have gotten into something, but hell if I know what it was.

RANT: Fucking kids are home from school, and knowing this candy ass southern state, it will probably be until Wednesday.

RAVE: Home made lentil soup on a cold and snowy day.

RANT: See last rant from above post. I was reading the article on Yahoo news and one of the comments said, "thank God that such men lived". I think that pretty much sums it up.

14. pincinelly

pincinelly
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Rave: Had a great summer holiday. Went to Byron Bay in Australia which is a fucking cool place. And went to to my parents new holiday house which is now pretty much finished and is in a beautiful location.

Rant: First day back at work was yesterday.

Rave: After two hours I was taken out to the Heineken cup tennis tournament in Auckland. Free booze, courtside seats, eye fillet for lunch. A great way to get back into work.

15. bigtom0404

bigtom0404
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Dear god I don't know what put me into this funk of depression, but even after the last three days spent trying to find a purpose in life, I still sit here wondering if everyone around me would be better off without me around. I know suicide is not anything to joke about, and is a serious matter and should never be looked at as a solution to anything, but I can't help but wonder what if. This seems to be a pretty serious bout of depression to hit me and if I can't get out of this I should probably consider seeing some help before I do something stupid. I know this isn't really a rant or rave, but I have to put this out somewhere. I just wish for once I could shut my mind off and stop worrying sooo much.

16. shegirl

shegirl
    Expand Collapse
    Redemption Seeking Whore

RANT: I got sucked into "Divine Secrets of the YaYa Sisterhood" at one point this weekend. That's not even the worst part. Ready? It was on the Preview channel. There is no way I can be the only one out there that gets pulled into this. Am I? Between that and The fucking Gump, I don't know which is worse considering I've seen The Gump a hundred times, or so, but at least it's on a real channel.

I just kept thinking poor James Garner married to that old bitch. What the fuck is wrong with me? The Preview channel. Kill me now.

17. cargasm66

cargasm66
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

18. Trakiel

Trakiel
    Expand Collapse
    Call me Caitlyn. Got any cake?

Rant: Blood pressure high. Definately need a drink after work today. Let me just paraphrase the people I work with:

Managers: We need new printers! And new computers! And faster internet!
    Me: That's great! You've all put your department needs in your budgets so I can go ahead and get all this stuff, right?
    Managers: Technology costs money?!?! WTF kind of crazytalk is that?!?! Why can't you conjure up technology out of thin air? That's how they did it where I used to work!

Manager: We need a nurse call system. They had one at my old clinic and it was great. Why don't we have one here?
    Me: Those are incredibly expensive, we can't afford one.
    Manager: Why not?

Managers: We need to have full functionality of all systems on day one of go-live. We can't operate without it.
    Me: Ok, in order to make that work in this short of timeframe I'm going to need a lot of input from you regarding your departmental needs.
    Managers: ....

Managers: Why is this computer so slow? Why don't we ever get new comptuers?
    Me: We do get new computers. But you're all constantly asking for additional computers - that you don't budget for - so I have to put the old computers back in service. Why can't that intern that works one day a week for four hours share a computer with that other intern who's only here a couple of days?
    Managers: That's too inconvenient though, why can't they each have their own?

Chief Medical Officer: The computer in the exam room needs to be configured so that I can go right into the EHR without having to put in a password. It takes too much time - time I could be spending on the patient.
    Me: It only takes what - 15 seconds?
    CMO: That's too long.
    Me: Regardless that's a huge security risk and a HIIPA violation and it's not going to happen. There'd be no way to control access to the computers. Anyone could go into an exam room and get on and view confidential information or worse.
    CMO: Nobody's going to do that. You're paranoid.

19. scootah

scootah
    Expand Collapse
    New mod

Rant: 10 years of drought. Now the most incredible floods in memory.

Video from just around the corner from my old house. Holy fucking shit. They're calling it an inland tsunami. I moved out of that place like 10 months ago after living/working in the area for a year. The incredible part is that this place is 2500 feet above sea level. It's on top a huge fucking mountain range. I'm about an hour east of this and that's the direction that the flood is moving. Major rain is on it's way in.

The Wivenhoe dam was built to mitigate floods after major floods in the 70's - it's now at 154% capacity. That's all the disaster planning capacity consumed and a bit more on top. There's MAJOR rain coming that's going to hit the catchments above that dam. Fuck, the majority of the Toowoomba floods are going to hit that dam. They're talking a 7 meter (22foot) wall of water) coming down the river near my house after the flood water hits it.

Fortunately I live on a hill, but I looked at the roads and decided fuck going to work today. It's just too dangerous and too likely that I won't be able to get home. Clearly I still have power and internet and the water supply for drinking water here is fine - so no immediate danger. But if there's someone around the boards who has some experience with getting a free boat, I could use some tips...

20. scootah

scootah
    Expand Collapse
    New mod

Rant: Holy fuck. People were swept off of roofs. 21 foot flood waters going through towns and ripping people off their fucking roofs. The river near my house is expected to go up to 16 meters, it's a tidal river that goes up to 8 meters at a really, really fucking high tide. Oh, and there's a really fucking high tide due for 2pm this afternoon that will escalate the level estimate.

They're showing this footage of a minivan in the middle of a square kilometer of floodwater, mud and shit. The water around their vehicle is substantially deeper than the vehicle is high, it's just floating and locked up against a debris bank. You can see the people in the car, who are clearly fucking terrified. By the time the news chopper got back to the vehicle location with emergency services, the vehicle had been swept away and the people are presumed dead. You can fucking recognize the people from the news footage. I drove past the spot where they were trapped on my way to work every day for a year.

They're talking on the news about why they're releasing water from the dams like it's a choice. The fuckers are at 150% capacity and above and a shitload more water is coming into them. It's not like there's any option but to release water into the rivers, the bucket is fucking full and the tap is still running - the water has to go somewhere.

Just saw possibly the most representative rural Queensland footage ever, some guy in high visibility safety clothing, walking through hip deep flood water, carrying a carton of beer on his way to the evacuation center. God I love hicks with priorities.