Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Zucchini Bread

Discussion in 'Cooking' started by bewildered, Jul 25, 2019.

1. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

The zucchini are rolling in, so I thought it was time to try a recipe for some bread. I had never had it before I moved out here and someone gifted us with a loaf. It's like banana nut bread, but not as sweet.

Share your recipe if you have a good one! This is a solid starter recipe that created 2 tasty loaves but I am sure there is a better recipe out there. Here is the link of the recipe I used, with my changes listed here.

Makes 2 dense loaves
    • 4 cups grated fresh zucchini, liquid squeezed out
    • 2 teaspoons ghee for greasing the pans
    • 3 cups all-purpose flour
    • 1 teaspoon baking powder
    • 1 heaping teaspoon cream de tartar
    • 4 teaspoons cinnamon
    • 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
    • 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
    • 1 1/3 cup sugar
    • 2 large eggs, beaten
    • 4 teaspoons vanilla extract
    • 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
    • heaping 3/4 cup ghee
    • 1 1/4 cup chopped walnuts

Drain zucchini of excess moisture: Place the grated zucchini in a sieve or colander over a bowl to drain any excess moisture. Squeeze moisture out by hand.
    Prep the oven and pans: Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C). Line pans with parchment paper, butter the paper, sprinkle with flour
    Combine the dry ingredients: In a large bowl, vigorously whisk together the flour, cream de tartar, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger, salt, ground nutmeg, walnuts.
    Whisk the wet ingredients: In another large bowl, whisk together the sugar, eggs, vanilla extract, ghee. Stir in the drained grated zucchini.
    Add dry ingredients to wet: Add the flour mixture, a third at a time, to the sugar egg zucchini mixture, stirring after each incorporation.
    Bake the bread: Divide the batter equally between the loaf pans. Bake for 56 minutes at 350°F (175°C) or until a tester inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool in pans for 10 minutes. Turn out onto wire racks to cool thoroughly.

[​IMG]

If I keep forgetting about the zucchini, there might be a lot of zucchini bread in our future...

[​IMG]

#1 bewildered, Jul 25, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2019
  2. walt

walt
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I love zucchini bread, it's the only reason I grow it.

My wife puts chocolate chips in her recipe, makes it that much better.

3. Trickysista

Trickysista
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I made awesome pineapple zucchini muffins once...I'll have to see if I can find the receipe.

I second putting chocolate chips in the bread. For sure.

4. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

@Trickysista sent me the recipe she used: https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/40181/pineapple-zucchini-muffins/

And of course I have to fiddle with the recipe. Because that's how I do.

I tried to follow the spirit of the recipe. It was scaled up due to how much zucchini I shredded and ended up making 24 regular sized muffins and 2 loaves.

I had 5cups of shredded zucchini once I squeezed out of the extra liquid, and with that I used ~6.5cups of flour, 9 duck eggs (they are currently +/- about 50grams an egg, so just under a Grade A large, but richer than a chicken egg), 1.5cups semi sweet chocolate chips, about 3/4c crushed walnuts. Still just 1 20oz can of pineapple. The sugar was scaled back to 2c for the whole recipe. I made a streusel topping which was used on half the muffins and both loaves. *Edit* and just remembered that I subbed the vegetable oil with unrefined coconut oil.

DE. LICH. CIOUS.

I don't like the M word, but this bread was seriously moist, dense, and tender. I wonder how much the duck eggs contributed to that.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]