Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Zoom in on that grainy spot. Rotate... good, now enhance it

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Supertramp, Dec 28, 2009.

1. Dcc001

Dcc001
    Expand Collapse
    New Bitch On Top

Here's one that will bug all you Trekkies, now and forever.

Why, when filming the shots of ships in space, are the crafts always dipicted as 2D? Meaning the two spaceships meet like cars in a parking lot, as if there was a set up, down, right and left. There is no direction in space, vessels are not restricted by gravity or "up" and "down," and yet they are always shown this way. I even remember an episode of Star Trek: The Next Generation where the "attitude control" on the Enterprise broke, and it was shown as being skewed in space, like a jet tumbling out of the sky. Makes no sense.

2. Merle

Merle
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

I liked the movie a lot for its visuals but the plot was nothing ground breaking. The only thing that drove me nuts (and this movie is not the only one guilty of this) is the borderline stupid effort they went to in order make the mineral they were on the planet for important.

I forget the exact quote but this is more or less how they dropped it.

"You see this here (Character in the movie holds up a small rock). This is Unobtianium (yes it is really called that). It is the rarest mineral in the galaxy and worth 20 million dollars per kilogram (I am not making up that 20 million number either). Their village is on top of the largest deposit we have ever found."

Yes we get it, it's an important mineral. Otherwise an advanced scientific, mining, and military colony would not be placed on a planet overrun with danger. With a 200 million plus movie budget you were not able to come up with a better name or value? I can see the sequel already where they return to search for "Awesomanium" that has a value of "eleventy billion dollars per molecule."

Now before I get lynched, yes I am aware there were far more unbelievable things in that movie. My main gripe with that one plot aspect was the cheesiness of it, not the level of believability.

3. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yes, and heaven forbid industry or the United States armed forces actually be on the side of good. There have been tons of patriotic war movies but in the past decade it seems like 90% of films are either straight forward or offhandedly spitting in the military's faces. Business on the other hand gets the worst wrap. One of the more laughable lines in Avatar is when "the suit" explains why they are going to attack the defenseless Injuns:

The stock holders don't like hearing about indigenous people getting wiped out, but they REALLY dont like when our stock price goes down....(paraphrased)

4. Bob Trousers

Bob Trousers
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

'Unobtanium' was (if memory serves me correctly) also the name of the material used to build the vehicle that would take scientists to the centre of the earth in that scientific clusterfuck of a movie, 'The Core'.

5. Nate17

Nate17
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Well, Guess you got if figured out. Most of the time, We get calls on cars sitting for long periods of time. We have pretty good "dipshit" radars.

#85 Nate17, Jan 8, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015