Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

You've won the lottery...now what?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dcc001, Jun 20, 2012.

1. katokoch

katokoch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Hell yeah we do!

I'd start by purchasing big sections of land in various prime hunting and fishing areas around the US and ideally get some property in northern MN (at least a mile wide on each side) with a private lake on it (we're talking real fuck you money, right?). On said MN property I'd have a big ass shop built next to my house and fill it with all the wood and metalworking tools and machinery I have lusted over for years. I'd also have a 1000 yard rifle range created with concrete benches right outside the shop back door and a 100 yard underground tunnel range for scientific testing. Naturally, I'd have a bomb-proof walk-in vault underground for storing a stupid amount of firearms, ammunition, and other fun stuff.

While all the building and installation is being completed, I'd go to a certain gunsmithing school in Colorado and spend a couple of years honing my craft, learning from the best.

I'd also purchase some walnut groves out in southern Oregon or northern California and have a lifetime supply of premium lumber all to myself.

Then I'd spend my days developing and building guns from scratch, shooting them whenever I wanted, and doing all of the hunting, fishing, and competing I want, and fucking my girlfriend when I want to take breaks.

When I'm not shooting stuff or devising better ways to do it, I would donate heavily to youth hunting and firearm education groups* as well as general education and medical research here in the US. I'd provide education funds for immediate and extended family too.

*Not for more customers, but for more responsible gun ownership and less preventable deaths.

2. RCGT

RCGT
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'd lock that shit away for years. Maybe a small yearly stipend so I don't end up homeless. I'm not very good at life, but I'm smart enough to know I don't know what the fuck I want yet.

[/boring, yet realistic answer]

3. MoreCowbell

MoreCowbell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'd probably end up spending at least the next decade in school. I'm a big ol' nerd: the idea of spending the rest of my life learning things sounds awesome. Hell, the only reason I didn't go to grad school was the sneaking suspicion that people would ask me to write something at the end of it.

Well, I'd do that second. After the strippers.

4. Frank

Frank
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I still can't wrap my head around people saying this, you would have enough money to have some of the best minds in any field you want as your personal tutor and actually see what they do in practice, but you'd rather spend it in a classroom? Is it the knowledge you want or the piece of paper that says you're smart?

5. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

He's not going to go to CLASS, dude. He's going to buy his own kick-ass Frat House with every gadget known to man(cave) and then bang college chicks for ten years.

Travel would be on my mind after putting everyone I know out of debt. There's so many places I'd hit with the fam and friends: Fiji, Hong Kong, Australia, Prague, New Caladonia, Tangiers, Edinburgh, Ibiza, NYC, Singapore, Yosemite, Zion Park, Grand Canyon (again), Disney (again), Amsterdam (again, and again), and wherever I can see Albatross fly (I think New Zealand).

6. MoreCowbell

MoreCowbell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The former. The idea of being able to spend as long as you want surrounded by some of the smartest people in the world with no external pressures other than "learn whatever you want" is extremely appealing to me. Sure you could hire Lawrence Summers as your personal tutor, and maybe one could do it with a library card, but learning in isolation and a vacuum like that seems counterproductive. Beyond mere funding, there's a reason even the wealthiest intellectuals tend to cluster around schools rather than working in dispersed isolation.

Yes the cost you may is being around people who are pretentious and often useless fucks, but one can always leave. Obviously this is the sort of thing that appeals to only a fraction of the populace, but that's true of much of the rest of this thread.

7. shimmered

shimmered
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

1. Make appropriate investments so that my "Fuck you" money doesn't become "Fuck me...what happened?" money.
    2. Buy an island and a helicopter. The Guy can fly the helicopter, I can live on the beach, we can do what we want for pretty much ever.
    3. Only see the people I want to see when I want to see them. I'm a fucking hermit anyway, and really am content with the interwebz and books for socialization most of the time. As long as I have Sportscenter and an internet connection, I can totally manage from there.

My kids would have their college / trade school paid for, and they would have a trust set up that, when I pass away, they would have enough money allotted per year that they weren't living below poverty level, but they would still have to work to make their way through the world. Fuck the idea of them being lazy good for nothing little shits...I'll keep them mostly alive, but other than that, they'll have to work.

Charities and the like....eh. I don't trust them. I'd rather make an anonymous donation to a hospital for their cancer, neo-natal, transplant, or whatever wing than let someone else make a determination for where the money goes.

8. sartirious

sartirious
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I would echo everything you said - except for the bit about charities and the like. Upon my death, the remainder of my wealth would be split evenly between the Electronic Frontier Foundation and the American Civil Liberties Union.

9. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

This. My friends and I have always talked about this if we hit it big. Buy a nice place next to campus and open a bar. Transitioning into the adult world, aka jobs and suburbia, has taught us that, it sucks. I'd tailgate at every sports game and booze up and fuck every never-will-be-hotter 20 year old. FUUUUUUUCK IT!

I would probably buy some primo land in south central Ohio and tend and hunt the monster bucks that roam that area. Start a small farm and use it to grow the major ingredients for the restaurant idea I've had brewing in my head for a few years. Probably build a quality home gym and hire a professional trainer to get me into good shape since that is something I'd want to keep in check. Then just travel with friends to different locales.

10. shimmered

shimmered
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yeah. The ACLU can suck it. I'd rather donate my money to numerous battered women's shelters across the country. And to charities that will improve quality of life on a local level - parks, baseball organizations, etc. Things for families and kids and the like.

11. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

If I don't end up having kids. It's all going to the NRA.

12. Frank

Frank
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

You know after I posted I immediately thought of how cool it would be to be like Rodney Dangerfield in Back to School.

13. Veovis

Veovis
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I think number 1 and 2 are somewhat oposite of each other no? Pretty sure when you get a financial planner to handle your finances so you aren't broke in 2 years his first advice may be "Don't buy an Island to crash your helicopter into"

14. shimmered

shimmered
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Not at all.
    We're talking astronomical sums of money. It's not unreasonable to buy a small island and a small helicopter. And The Guy is a damn good pilot.

Lets just hope my financial adviser doesn't stop me from buying shoes.

15. Veovis

Veovis
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

See I was thinking on the 50 million range as thats about tops after taxes and payouts that lottos pay out.

Now if we were talking, "I let Bill Gates fuck me for half his net worth." Well fuck then, I'm going to build a fucking Imperial Star Destroyer in actual space, to scale. Fill it with plants and top notch recycling systems.

But with different storm troopers

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.newsflask.com/wp-content/gallery/hotties/sexy-storm-trooper.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.newsflask.com/wp-content/gal ... rooper.jpg</a>

16. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

That. I have wanted to own a bar since I was 19. Nothing huge or super-trendy with bouncers wearing enough Paco Rabanne to gag a Brazillian pimp. A bar with a cool vibe that holds maybe 100 people, with a soft, relaxing look. A 1970's-style New York bar would be perfect. A great example of one is the bar Pam Grier frequents in Jackie Brown. I love the look of those bars.

17. D26

D26
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Nothing.

I would pay off my house and all my bills, I would finish up the basement and put in all the cool shit we want down there (fireplace, full bar, Poker Table), and that's it. I'd watch my kids and be a stay at home dad. We'd take yearly vacations (one with the kids, one where the kids stay with the grandparents), but that would be it. No way I'd work, no way I'd do anything other than relax and indulge in some hobbies. I suppose "stay at home dad" would be a better answer than 'nothing,' but honestly, I'd have no big plans, no grand, extravagant ideas, just relax and enjoy life.

18. silway

silway
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Aside from the usual stuff re: bills, house, family, I don't think I'd live too ostentatiously. Though I would get a personal assistant to handle the minutiae of life.

How would I spend my time? A mix of things really. Poker tournaments, some angel investing, various creative projects. In particular I would run a self-funded free LARP to really push the boundaries of how cool the hobby can be. And that's a lot of time investment to keep my engaged and thinking.

19. scotchcrotch

scotchcrotch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'd buy a couple hundred acres in Georgia and plant organic crops. I'm not a fan of slaughtering, although I love their products. So I'd buy from a local butcher and open a casual organic restaurant.

I'd eventually buy a brewery and a variety of weapons.

20. ghettoastronaut

ghettoastronaut
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Interesting.