Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

You're a f*cking c*nt

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dcc001, May 14, 2013.

?

What's the worst swear word?

1. C*nt

30 vote(s)
    25.4%
  2. F*ck

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. N-word

69 vote(s)
    58.5%
  4. Something else

12 vote(s)
    10.2%
  5. I'm just here to fuck Kojak

7 vote(s)
    5.9%
  1. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Seriously? Kids weren't/aren't referring to mentally retarded children when they used the word retard? It might have started out as a clinical term, like negro is by definition the spanish word for black, but was used enough as a slight to add a pejorative connotation to its use. I know as a kid exactly why I was using the term. Because who ever I was directing it at was acting like the drooling screaming disabled kid.

There is a great Twilight Zone where William Shatner and his new bride become addicted to a diner table fortune teller. At one point he tells her, "Don't treat me like a retarded child." It's great.

2. Superfantastic

Superfantastic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

That's not really a like-with-like comparison though. Racial slurs of any kind are in a category of their own because they have a very direct tie to a very specific group of people, and their meanings change little if at all. Racial slur-ing is, in almost all cases, their sole purpose (they refer to a group of people for no reason other than they are that group of people). Words like retard, fag, prick, idiot and nincompoop (highly underrated, in my opinion), have much weaker ties to a specific group of people, and are regularly used to describe the behaviour of any single person, regardless of their race or gender, and I think that's fair game. As always, context matters.

And I don't get the glee with which some people (not so much on here) fight for certain words to become the new "n-word", specifically fag and retard. It seems counterintuitive in the same way that parent/religious groups trying to ban music/movies/whatever end up bringing more attention to the thing they hate. Also seems oddly insulting to the people they're trying to protect. Like their thought process is something like, "Ok, I know these words have multiple meanings, but by god, if I have my way, I'm gonna make sure that any time someone hears the word retard or fag, the ONLY things that come to their mind are disabled and gay people."

3. Omegaham

Omegaham
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I use "retarded" a fair amount.

It's a concise way of saying "Your entire thought process is flawed and not based in reality, and I am judging you negatively for it." When someone goes to touch a cathode plate without turning off the power, I will very quickly and without any remorse say, "Are you retarded?"

The thing that gets me is that "retarded" was originally a euphemism. Idiot, moron, and imbecile were once scientific terms referring to various levels of mental disability. They very quickly became insults, and activists moved to find another word to refer to these people in a non-negative light. Except retarded quickly became its own negative word, and now it's mentally disabled / challenged / handicapped.

Why is it okay for me to say "moronic" and "idiotic" but not "retarded?" They quite literally refer to the same thing, but one is an insult to retarded people, and the others refer to stupid thinking in general.