Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Your Favorite Bar

Discussion in 'Permanent Threads' started by BrotherNumberOne, Oct 29, 2009.

1. Solaris

Solaris
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Reading this I'm really surprised, it seems you Americans have a fantastic range of Beers on offer. Here in Belfast, it seems our greatest variety is between Harp and Harp Ice.

My favourite bar is on the Ormeau Road in Belfast called the Hatfield. It used to be a very local pub for the catholic working men living around it. There's a little shrine outside to commemorate where the UVF opened fire on the Bookies next door killing 4 or 5 innocent people and the bar is as secure as a castle, both legacies from the troubles.

Now it's become a student bar, mainly for the cultchie folk from Tyrone and Fermanagh who like to wear there GAA tops in the bar, which is nice as there's pretty much no other bar you'd get away with that. Also, on occasion if you listen closely some of the students there will converse in Irish, which is very nice to hear.

Price wise, it's quite dear, £3.20 for most pints and Spirits come at £2.90 for a 35ml serving with no mixer.

On a Sunday night, they get in a couple of fantastic fellows to play Chucky (ira) music all night until the bar shuts at midnight. After which you can get a carry out from the bar illegally serving cans afterhours.

Here's a picture:
    [​IMG]

2. Beer Me

Beer Me
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Living in eff all middle of rural Canada, you get used to the crappy bars that only serve Bud, Canadian, Blue, Kokanee, Pilsner and Club/OV. My favourite pub has to be Lo Pub in Winnipeg, MB. It's really turned into a hipster joint in the last few years, but it's the only place where I can get a 20oz pint of the best tasting (local) India Pale Ale I've ever had for $4, so every time I'm in the city I have to visit.

When I lived in Quebec City I'd frequent many pubs in the old historical part of the city, most of the pubs were there mainly for tourists, and the prices sure reflected on that. However one night we stumbled into this random pub we didn't even know existed. It was in the basement of some 400 year old building, felt like you're in a cave, and the entire pub only could seat 15-20 people tops. Also, they only served local beers! Le Cheval Blanc's Wheat was tasty, not to mention the great variety of Unibroue. If a bar has Unibroue in stock, I'm a happy camper

3. Decatur Dave

Decatur Dave
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

North Atlanta, up in Roswell/Sandy Springs, The North River Tavern is where I'd get drunk off my face. 54 taps and I could tell you what 3/4 of them were after working through them all a dozen times. Great food, music and booooooze.

Fuck the down town bars in the A, Northside Tavern is where it's at. Bad ass blues bands, dirt cheap beer and a sleazy bathroom. Also, my favorite joke: You know the difference between the Northside Tavern and a Cabbage Town hooker? You have a better chance of pinching a shit in a Cabbage Town hooker.

Decatur is home of my favorite, Famous Pub, my personal favorite sports bar. Good TVs, good college crowd and they will serve you till you fall down. Also, they let you smoke. A college bar, but when I go out to drink it's to get hammered.

4. Fracas

Fracas
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

The Roost in Los Angeles.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/the-roost-los-angeles

For the paint-peeling mixers, seedy red-lit atmosphere, friendly Thai barkeepers and complete lack of pretense. I usually go to write or brood and stick around to crack jokes and bullshit.

[​IMG]

I was going to complain about the occasional cool-kid birthday bash (every city has at least one bar called "The Hipster Chuck E. Cheese," a regulars-only dive that turns into amateur hour whenever some scenester turns 28), but even when that happens, this place is so disarming, and the margaritas are so brutal, that I often make friends with the guests. I just don't get my hopes up for anything beyond a same-night pull.

5. NickH

NickH
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Atlanta

Nothing against your picks, Decatur Dave, but I'm going to throw out a few different Atlanta-area selections:

Neighbor's Pub (Virginia Highlands) - Good beer selection, fair prices, a large deck that's perfect when the weather is good. It typically draws a decent crowd, too. The bar next door, Hand in Hand, is similar, though the beer costs more, except on Sundays when they have $1 PBR pints and $1 fish tacos.

Manuel's (Virginia Highlands) - A big, rambling bar and restaurant with a great feel to it. It's been around for many decades, and the walls are covered with photos attesting to the bar's history. Manuel's is also known as a gathering spot for Democrats, but don't let that dissuade you if it's not your thing.

The Cavern (Virginia Highlands) - A dark, sketchy as hell bar jammed into a small space, The Cavern is a great place to get wasted and enjoy the company of other like-minded souls. They bring in a DJ on Friday and Saturday nights, which is really the time to come, especially if it's my buddy Jon (because he's awesome). If you're nice to the bartenders, they'll also pour you some really stiff drinks.

The Brick Store Pub (Decatur Square) - Located right on the downtown Decatur square, Brick Store has got a great, rotating selection of beer from around the country, plus surprisingly good pub-style food. The brick and wood interior is nice without being pretentious or stuffy.

Ormsby's (West Midtown) - Located a few blocks away from Northside Tavern, Ormsby's is as different as can be from Northside. The bar is built almost entirely underground - the doorway entrance has a script 'O' that is the only indication you've found the place. Once inside, there is a decent bar on the ground floor, but the real fun is downstairs. Ormsby's hollowed out several thousand square feet of space down there, enough room for a large bar area with plenty of seating and flat screen TVs, and, even better, a gaming area with pool tables, skee-ball, and two bocce courts.

6. CougarChamp

CougarChamp
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

In the last five years I've lived in Seattle, Boston, NYC, and, unfortunately LA.

Favorite bar in Seattle is Norm's in Fremont. It's a dog bar.

Boston - Either the BHP or The Sevens. Both in Beacon Hill. BHP has the strongest drinks in Boston and $3 Brubakers. I used to live above the bar - went there a lot.

NYC - Clearly a lot of places to choose from. One of my favorites in Manhattan is Sophie's in the east village. Total dive bar, and for a 6 month period no matter what I ordered my tab was never more than $10. Another good spot is PDT, which is the cocktail bar in Crif Dog. Not so cheap, but great old time cocktails.

LA - The best bar I've been to in LA is the Blue Palms. Great beer and really good food. Unfortunately it's an Ohio St. bar on Saturdays and Steelers bar on Sundays. I've been going to Dillon's on Hollywood and Vine for NFL this season though. $3 beer - a great selection. Hot barmaids.