Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Your Book Title Suggestions for Dr. Rob's 'Crazy'

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Solaris, May 24, 2010.

1. Solaris

Solaris
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

'Mad World' comes to mind, after the song with the same name, but don't know if that would be allowed.

2. lust4life

lust4life
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

"You're NOT okay, but neither am I."

"Shrink-Think."

"Forever Jung."

3. Nitwit

Nitwit
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yea, your crazy! ....but so am I
    Psst!!........I'm crazy too. (confessions from the other side of the couch.)
    Hey man! Can you float me a Zoloft?
    Your crazy, I'm crazy.
    Are there bugs crawling all over me? (confessions from the other end of the couch)

4. effinshenanigans

effinshenanigans
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Do as I Say, Not as I Do (Stories of Mentally Ill Therapists and Patients)

Grains of Salt - Mental Advice from the Mentally Ill

5. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Tea Time with Lunatics

People more insane than Michael Jackson

6. BL1Y

BL1Y
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Shrinkage: The Psychology of Psychology

7. MoreCowbell

MoreCowbell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Do we know why they didn't like the original title?

8. Dr. Rob

Dr. Rob
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

That's a great question. No, not yet, but I hope to find out this week.

9. ROC711

ROC711
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Normal is the new CRAZY

Psychologist - Justifying your lake of mental health using others

To truly understand crazy, you must first become it.

CRAZY! I know you are but what am I? CRAZY...

10. Beefy Phil

Beefy Phil
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Manic, M.D.

They Have A Pill For That

It Takes One to Treat One: Tales from the Couch

Even Freud Loved Blow: Why Therapists Need Therapy

Professionally Ill: When Psychology Turns The Mirror On Itself

Clinical Repression: Everything Your Shrink Can't Admit

Shrinkronicity: One Doctor, One Patient, Two Lunatics

11. Samr

Samr
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

My guess on why they didn't like the original title (and this isn't just a random guess; I have decent experience in the literary/publishing world and my fiance suffers from a diagnosed mental illness and does/did the therapy thing, PM me for details):

"Crazy" has negative connotations, in the sense that it would implicate that people who suffer from mental illness are in fact "crazy," and thus "not normal." I know it's meant in jest, in the same way that the "Shrink" in "Shrink Talk" is meant in jest, but Joe Random in the bookstore probably won't get that, and may potentially not buy the book because he thought it was politically incorrect/didn't catch the joke. Also, "Crazy" doesn't explain enough about what the book would include. It's catchy, yes, and it's perfect for the content as Dr. Rob explained it, but it's not a title that makes you necessarily want to read more about the book before you purchase it. In general, you want a title that A) Gives you a hint of what you might find in the book, B) Doesn't by-default exclude/offend potential readers, C) Is catchy/memorable, D) Is plainly original/unique. The way to kind of side-step this is to include a subtitle, though if you do so you must still make sure that the actual title can at least somewhat stand on its own, and is not dependent on the subtitle, as Joe Random could reasonably just be browsing the bookshelves scanning titles only (either because he's in a hurry, because some subtitles are unfortunately-for-the-rest-of-us not needed, or simply because he doesn't care).

I know it sounds stupid, and we wish that decisions -- specifically purchase decisions -- weren't made that way, but it's reality. I went to a shit ton of agents with my manuscript that had a great, short, catchy, perfect-for-the-content title; after signing with an agent, she explained to me the problem with the title, which was basically what I described above. Just replace "Crazy" with "Baby Steps."

I'm sure Chater et al. hate off-focus talk about this as it clutters up the thread, so delete it if you want. But, I have some perspective/experience on this, and I figured it'd be helpful for everyone else offering suggestions on titles.

I'll post some suggestions for titles a little later (my fiance is hounding me about dinner). If anyone has any questions or anything, please PM me.

12. Dr. Rob

Dr. Rob
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Agreed, which is, in part, why I originally went with "We're All Crazy." The goal was to get people to say, "huh, a shrink is saying EVERYONE is crazy, what's up with that?" The subtitle of "Behind-the-Scenes Look at the Shrink's World" is designed to give another layer of context for the book (as well the structure).

I will say though, that the title is not meant in jest, at least not in the same way that "shrink" in ShrinkTalk is. I don't consider crazy to mean "not normal," more so that everyone has issues, problems, dysfunctions and idiosyncrasies. Of course some of those are more debilitating and painful while others are more benign and lend themselves to humor, but no one is free from moments, states and traits or weirdness and craziness. That's part of the human condition. So while the title may be perceived as derogatory, the reality is that it's meant to be liberating and a means of eradicating the stigma of mental illness. That's the goal of what some might see as a controversial title.

Update: it's still not exactly clear what the pulisher's concern about the title is, although they did agree to use CRAZY as a working title.

13. Samr

Samr
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Ok, here's some suggestions, though I may refine some of these later, and I certainly will add to it as I think of more. Some of the suggested titles can stand on their own, and many of the subtitles are interchangeable:

Just Like You: A mental health expert-turned-author reveals the psychologist's side of the human experience.

The Therapist Next Door: An inside look into the world of the mental health professional, written your neighborhood shrink.

The Therapy Break Room: And you think you have problems.

We Have Problems Too: A mental health professional explains why therapists are the last to be exempt.

Will Work through your problems for Food: If you think you need therapy, just wait until you read about us.

The Other Side of the Comfy Couch: A therapists reveals what you've never suspected they were writing on their notepad.

It's Not about the Couch *title placed over a picture of a stereotypical therapist's couch/office* [Lance Armstrong/pop culture reference intended]

Tell You about Myself: A mental health expert reveals what goes on when you're not in the room.

Freud Had Problems Too: If you think you need therapy, just wait until you read about us.

It's All in Our Heads Too: A mental health expert reveals why therapists are not exempt.

Shrink Wars: From the business to the personal, a practicing psychologist discusses what he can't during your appointment.

Possible Problems Include: *followed by a bulleted list of Dr. Rob's real or perceived mental health problems, as self-diagnosed by him on his blog* [the cover of the book would be a stereotypical yellow note pad, with the afore-mentioned title/subtitle-ish-thing in a handwriting font as if it were written on there]

Hierarchy of Needs: Just because we use it to guide you, doesn't mean our minds don't abide by it too.

One Leg at a Time: Why your therapist probably goes to therapy.

Normally Off Center: A practicing psychologists explains why "crazy" is natural.

Slightly Askew: A therapist explains why part of life is being "different."

We Come with Baggage: An inside look at why your therapist probably goes to therapy.

14. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Therapissed

15. MoreCowbell

MoreCowbell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The Rapist

16. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

An Explanation as to why Freud Did Rails

Invasion of the Boobie Hatchers

Sedatives: A Therapist's handcuffs

17. Dyson004

Dyson004
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

The Taming of the Shrink

18. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

If you drop an album it has to be titled "Shrink-rapped"

19. Samr

Samr
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

We're All a Little Crazy: And other things you didn't know about your friendly neighborhood shrink.

From Assholes to Overlords: A professional psychologist explains why shrinks have more than just a God complex.

We Will (We Will) Talk You: A shrink explains life on the inside of the world's most misunderstood profession.

Therapy and Me: My life as a professional shrink, and other amusing tales I wouldn't normally admit if I had a semblance of pride.

Everyone Hears a Different Drummer: A behind-the-scenes look at the last kind of doctor you want to admit that you see.

Shrink Shock: From my couch, to yours

...or from reading the other posts, are we supposed to make this less serious and more funny? Oh, ok, here's one then: "Unshrinkable".... no? Ok, well how about "Therapy: CSI".... ok, forget it; I'm terrible at the jokes.

20. BL1Y

BL1Y
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Dr. Strangelove, Or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb