Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

You want fries with that?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DrFrylock, May 24, 2011.

1. thabucmaster

thabucmaster
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Focus: I absolutely cannot stand Subway's cold cut subs. I don't know what it is that turns me off from them, but I just can't eat them. If I have to eat there, it's usually a meatball sub, light sauce, extra cheese.

Alt-Focus:
    Five Guys: Double burger with bacon, jalapeno's, and ketchup.
    Taco Bell: Grilled stuffed chicken burrito and chicken taquitos with guac.
    Burger King: Something that isn't normally on the menu, but they will still make, the Rodeo Burger. A cheeseburger topped with onion rings and BBQ sauce. When I was younger, I would quite literally eat two of those every single day. It's a wonder I didn't get fat.

2. iczorro

iczorro
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Footlong Turkey on wheat, toasted with provalone. Light lettuce (they always put too much on there, the lettuce isn't supposed to be the main ingredient), green pepper, tomato, onion, may and salt and pepper. I'll occasionally mix it up with a Meatball sub (do people add fixings to these? If so, why?), or the western egg sandwich on flatbread.

Five Guys: I go with the cheeseburger with mayo, ketchup, tomato and grilled onion. God damn, is Five Guys delicious.
    In'n'out: Pretty standard. Double double with onion, plus animal fries.
    Jack in the Box: Sourdough Jack, and then I pull the bacon off. I know, it sounds like sacrilidge, but you still get the bacon taste, and they never cook it enough.

3. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

Oh no! I forgot about Whataburger!! I've actually only been once and I loved the hell out of it. There's only one in town though, and it's far away from me so I never go. I would definitely hit it up more often if there was one closer.

4. D26

D26
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Fuck, I used to eat so much fast food. It was worst during the last two years, when I had an hour drive each way to and from school, and I'd always have to eat in my car. I ate it at least once a day, and as a result I gained about 20 pounds. I haven't touched the stuff in two weeks. Anyway:

Focus: At subway, it is either a meatball sub with provolone, parmesan, and oregano, or I get a Chicken Breast sub, toasted, no cheese, spinach, onions, green and banana peppers, with some parmesan and oregano.

Alt-Focus:

Chipotle was great. I would drive about 10 minutes out of my way at least once a week to grab some Chipotle for lunch. Usually went with a steak burrito bowl with everything.

Wendy's not only has the best dollar/cheap menu out there, but their regular stuff and burgers are good, too (compared to, say, McDonalds and Burger King). I'd either get some cheap dollar menu stuff (jr. bacon cheeseburger, chicken sandwich), or I'd get the spicy chicken sandwich. I even liked their weird pseudo-chili.

Panda Express which I know is some bullshit completely not real Chinese food, but that doesn't change the fact that their orange chicken was like crack to me.

This is making me crave fast food. Time to go run.

5. magz

magz
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I can't explain it. I hate Subway and typically avoid it at all costs since there is a plethora of sandwich shops in the area (Jimmy John's, Milio's, Herbert's and Gerbert's, Uncle Franky's, Quiznos, etc) that I think taste leagues better than Subway. For some reason however, a 12" Meatball with sauce, lettuce, tomatoes, pepper jack, pickles, jalapenos and banana peppers does it for me. Any place else on the planet? Meatball with sauce and cheese. Subway? Load it up.

Anti-focus:
    -Taco Bell: The three taco supreme combo. Two fire sauce packets per taco. It's timeless. Occasionally a grilled stuffed burrito combo, but that's maybe once every ten visits.

-Wendy's: Spicy chicken sandwich combo with fries. I probably only get this twice a year, but holy shit is that sandwich magic.

-Chipotle: Steak burrito. Light on the rice, both black and pinto beans, as much hot sauce as they'll put on, light tomatoes, corn, light sour creme, cheese, lettuce. According to Chipotlefan.com (<a class="postlink" href="http://www.chipotlefan.com/index.php?id=nutrition_calculator" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.chipotlefan.com/index.php?id ... calculator</a>), this equates to a 1200 calorie burrito. Gluttony never tasted so good.

6. kuhjäger

kuhjäger
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Does anyone remember the Arch Deluxe from the 1990s? It was billed as a more "adult" burger and McDonalds spent millions advertising it, only for it to ultimately flop. I was just a kid back then, but I fucking loved it. It was the only thing McDonalds has pus out that I actually liked. Fuck them for taking it away.

Anyway, back when I could eat fast food, (I can't anymore due to gastrointestinal issues. I'm not one of those I don't eat fast food so I am better than you) I always liked In'n Out.

3x3 with only lettuce and ketchup. Delicious. A friend of mine and I used to see who could eat the most patties on one burger. By the time we got to 8x8 they had stopped allowing any amount of patties. (A guy I know was one of the reasons for In'n Out not allowing it anymore. You've probably seen the pictures of his 100x100 on the internet. He also sent the pictures to every email address at their headquarters he could find. I guess they were disgusted by it.)

Taco Bell was always hit or miss because the monkeys in the back couldn't bother to read "NO SOUR CREAM" which ruins everything it touches.

I also used to love the tacos at Jack in the Box. Someone once referred to the them as baby shit tacos. I suppose that description is apt. The meat looked like baby shit, and the last time I ate them, I shit like a baby. In my pants.

Edit: Someone had the idea of opening 2 Chipotles in my county. And people are fucking ecstatic. Never mind our county is about 65% Mexican, and you can't walk 10 feet without hitting a taqueria where some person who learned how to cook from their abuela, and then took that knowledge stuffed themselves under the floorboards of a compact car, and then journeyed to Santa Cruz county to open up a hole in the wall restaurant that produces delicious food.

7. jennitalia

jennitalia
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Subway - 6 inch turkey breast on wheat with swiss, lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers, pickles and light mayo.

Other favorites:
    Taco Bell - Chicken tacos with Fries Supreme. I usually feel like dying after this combination.
    Wendy's - Jr. Bacon Cheeseburger. I also really enjoy the fact that they actually have Fresca there.
    Freshii - BBQ Chicken Salad with no avocado. The corn totally makes this salad. I'm pretty sure I'm going to have one of these today.

8. Nom Chompsky

Nom Chompsky
    Expand Collapse
    Honorary TiBette

I almost always get the same sub.

Bread = Hearty italian or roasted garlic.

Meat = Oven roasted chicken or buffalo chicken.

Cheese = Provolone.

NO I don't want lettuce. They always pick up a pile of lettuce before even waiting for my answer, and once in a while, they put it on before I say no. I always get black olives and jalapenos, and sometimes for bell peppers or onions for some crunch.

Then, I get hot sauce and ranch. Yes, I like spicy chicken -- do try to contain your surprise.

9. Misanthropic

Misanthropic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Focus: Subway is adequate at best. I almost always get the veggie sub. Veggies are veggies, while sandwich meat varies wildly in quality.

Antifocus: 1. Five Guys - kicks ass - Double with cheese, onions, tomatoes and barbecue.
    2. White Castle - if your stomach can't handle it you're a pussy. The original, with a couple of cheese sliders tossed in for good measure.
    3. Wendy's - the best of the Big Three - usually whatever chicken special they have going.

10. KillaKam

KillaKam
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Focus Teriyaki Chicken sub or the Italian...don't think I have the names right, guess I don't go there enough.

Alt-Focus Jack in the Box-Sourdough Steak Melt. Brown Bag Burger-The Godfather with a heaping of fries. McDonald's-Quarter Pounder, Chicken Nuggets, and those Angus Burgers are kind of money.

11. Slambrarian

Slambrarian
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I have eaten at Subway once and vowed I would never return. When you live in Philly and have a thousand delicious hoagie options, Subway had better be a last resort.

Otherwise:

Chipotle - Black bean & rice burrito with guacamole, cheese, that corn salsa & sour cream. Awesome.
    5 guys - Veggie sandwich (lettuce, pickles, tomatoes, cheese, mayo & ketchup) & fries with vinegar.
    Baja Fresh - Mahi mahi taco - grilled. It's so good.

12. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I've never understood the fascination with the franchise sub shops.

Even in my back-woods hick area of the world, there are 3 small, family-run shops that make killer sandwiches that are so much better than the stuff you get from Subway. It's a no-brainer.

About the only time I'll hit up a Subway is when I'm on a road trip, and they're part of the service station we're refuelling at.

13. Trakiel

Trakiel
    Expand Collapse
    Call me Caitlyn. Got any cake?

For me Subway is better then all the other places because I get to choose what's on my sandwich. All of the sandwich shops that have a predetermined list of toppings are kind of implicitly saying that they've made the decision for you as to what makes the best tasting sandwich, and if you disagree then clearly your taste sucks because you're in the wrong. Furthermore, because Subway is so common, there's an unspoken social expectation (around here, at least) that if you want to pick and choose all your toppings then that's what Subway's for and if you ask for special treatment - at say a Jimmy John's - then you're an asshole.

14. Blue Dog

Blue Dog
    Expand Collapse
    Absentee Mod

I honestly don't think I could tell you the last time I've eaten at Subway, but I'm not much on fast food anyway. I might eat fast fast food maybe once or twice every 6 months or so. I cook, The Wife cooks, our families cook (holy crap, do our families cook- and they all send us home with hundreds of pound of leftovers), so there is not really ever the need. If we want to go out, like other people have said, there are tons of places that make good food locally that blows the fast food places out of the water. One of the best sandwiches I've ever had is made at my buddy's restaurant- soft poboy bread with cold boiled shrimp, fried green tomatoes, and remoulade sauce. Another good place just opened up that does a smoked brisket sandwich with jalapeno mayo on a buttery melt-in-your-mouth jalapeno bun. I'll order one of those any day of the week over a 9000 calorie mass-produced foot-long tuna. And honestly, I've never been so busy to where I couldn't afford to call in ahead and wait 15 minutes to pick up a sandwich instead of having it available to me in 30 seconds of less.

That said, if I ever do get the craving for something like that (and I'm not getting on a high horse with all of this shit- I crave terrible food just like anybody else. I just don't give into temptation very often because its terrible for you and its expensive and its not as good as local food), I think the last thing I got there was the Subway Melt on white, cheese, spinach and tomato, banana peppers, and red wine vinaigrette. It was pretty good.

Other than that, Raisin' Canes is my once-or-twice-every-6-month treat. #1 Box combo, no slaw, extra sauce, no drink, extra sauce.

And I'm using EVERY ounce of that sauce. Chicken fingers, bread, fries, its all getting smothered.

15. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

My mom just sent me a pic of her lunch today. It's a new place that just opened up, and is marketing itself as a quick, fresh alternative to having fast food for lunch. While this isn't really what I consider fast food, she did say that it was on the table within 5 minutes of them sitting down, and they could have had it to go as well.

It's some sort of smoked salmon, cream cheese, and capers, with a shitload of fresh fruit.

Holy shit. Why wouldn't you?

Attached Files:

16. lust4life

lust4life
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

That's a bagel with lox & cream cheese and a fruit salad. Are there no Jews in Canada?

17. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

I just came.

18. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Me too. That's an awesome lunch. Oh and I'm Joo.

19. JeffPrevails

JeffPrevails
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

This is a bogus argument. I'd rather have somebody pick the ingredients for me if the only other option is to have garbage ingredients. Subway's sandwiches have so little meat and they try to make up for it with flavorless vegetables or a shitload of mayo and mustard. I have to agree with Net, who is probably agreeing with Adam Carolla, that Subway is worthless. There's plenty of delis that have a build-your-own option. One thing I do like about Subway is the italian herb and cheese bread though. On point. Unless you try to eat it the next day, in which case it loses 90% of the moisture and flavor.

In-n-Out Double double animal style with fries and a fresh lemonade. If i'm eating healthy, just a 3X3 protein style as a cheat meal.
    Capriottis Philly cheesesteak
    Pei Wei Pad Thai, extra spicy. Also there's a place in Vegas called Archiis, or Pin Kaow that serve way better Pad Thai, but would be considered restaurants rather than fast food chains.

20. Ton80

Ton80
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

The first job I ever had at 16 years old was as a Sandwich Artist at Subway, and I SUCKED at it. It's not even that hard, but that was my first and last foray into food service. Additionally, I didn't eat at Subway for over ten years after that.

Now, I have one in my office building, and I go with the Spicy Italian on Italian Herbs and Cheese, provolone, toasted, lettuce, tomato, lots of onion, and chipotle southwest sauce. It's a hangover cure more than a desirable lunch.

Taco Bell: Chicken Burrito, melty beef burrito or whatever they're calling it now, and a steak gordita supreme or a nachos supreme.

McDonald's: I can't stand their fries, so I usually get a crispy chicken club and a quarter pounder with cheese, just ketchup, with a side of self-loathing.

Jimmy John's: JJ's Gargantuan, extra onions.