Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

You never know, we just might need that someday.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by kuhjÀger, Oct 29, 2009.

1. travdiddy84

travdiddy84
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I was a huge WWF fan when I was a little kid. I subscribed to WWF Magazine from 1991 until like 1998. With this in mind, my story is that my mother took me to a friend's house to use her pool. Her next door neighbors had taken out the trash, and coming up the driveway I happened to be able to see inside a box that was tipped onto its side. WWF Magazines! From the 80s! Even though it was raining and some of them had considerable water damage, I had to have them.

On an unrelated note, I lost my virginity when I was 19.

2. Roundhouse

Roundhouse
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Books. Books I've read several times and know every sentence of by memory, books I have never, and probably never will read, and books I've only had the need for as a quick reference to during a project. The house is filled with books. I cannot seem to part with them. Many people I know will borrow books from libraries and purchase the books they particularly enjoy, or will purchase all books they plan to read, then sell off or donate to a charity shop the books they're finished with.

I cannot part with books. I have boxes filled with my grandfather's books, my father's books, even books from my sister that clutter the hallway, the cupboard under the stairs, the living room, my room, and the attic. I've tried to shift the little buggers several times before, however each book I fan through to see if it is relevant to my interests and/or needs, will cause me to think, "I may need this as a reference soon". I still have text books from school, packaging source books (I decided against a career in package design years ago, however I kept all the books as a go-to reference should I fall into packaging at some point in my career) programming language books I purchased for a thirteen week project I completed five years ago.

I cannot part with my books, even the terrible or useless books. I still have the DVLA sponsored, "The Official Theory Test for Car Drivers" text book from when I learned to drive almost a decade ago. Just in case.

Instruction manuals are not included, they're thrown out within minutes of initial reception.

Edit: I do not think of the Zippo Collection I have as, "hoarding". I collect them through a general interest in Zippos, plus they take up very little space even in the display case.

3. Kerbunked

Kerbunked
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I have all my concert stubs, movie tickets and sports tickets stashed away in a box. Not sure why I keep them, I mean, who wants proof that they saw Date Movie or Panic! at the Disco?

4. Stealth

Stealth
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

An auntie of mine is a hoarder of all sorts of assorted crap.
    Over the years, my uncle and cousins have devised the strategy of waiting for when my aunt is away for the day or on overseas holidays and then going through the assorted crap she has accumulated and throwing it out ..... and then either dealing with the aftermath when she gets back or simply claiming ignorance on what happened to a thrown out item she may ask about at some later stage.

Personally , I am anti-hoarding.
    With clothes; if I haven't worn something for about a year ; it goes into a plastic bag and is dumped into the local "charity bin"

It also comes down to the usefullness v's cost v's need ratio.

For example , I had a Sony CD player unit that had been sitting on the top of my bookshelf for a good 5 years without being used. I could have put it on Ebay but could not be bothered with that , so took it to the local "Cash Converters" and got 20 bucks for it.

On the other hand , I still have a National Panasonic "boom-box" type Radio-Cassette player from 1983 that still works and is in as-new condition.

5. Facepalm

Facepalm
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

Alt. Focus: My grandmother is the worst pack rat in my family. When I was younger my mom & I lived with her, and we would have to wait until she left the state before we could throw anything away. I'm not kidding.

Things we have found in that garage:

--Newspapers from the 1970's (and not important ones - just classifieds, comics, etc.). We didn't move into the house where she lives until 1991...yeah, she moved 20 year old newspapers into a new house.
    --A table saw that I have personally never seen used
    --Old microwaves that were in questionable condition
    --Strands of dead holiday lighting (her reasoning: "Well if I find the one bulb that's out, they'll be okay to use again!")
    --Metal gas cans that had holes in them from all the rust

Some things I understood her keeping around (especially anything related to my grandfather, as she took it pretty hard when he passed). But why does someone need classified ads from 1972?

6. Danny Noonan

Danny Noonan
    Expand Collapse
    Should still be lurking

I'm like this too, until a girlfriend of mine, for Christmas, took the ones I don't wear that much and sent them to this place that makes a giant quilt out of them. I don't have it on display or anything, but they're out of my drawers and I sitll have them if I ever get a bit nippy on the couch

7. Guy Fawkes

Guy Fawkes
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

When I still read magazines I saved issues of Maxim & FHM. I haven't had a subscription to either magazine in over 4 years but I still have stacks of cardboard boxes filled with the magazines.

The absolute worst pack rat I know is one of the owners of the company I work for.

Six years ago or so he purchased two of these 20' x 9' x 9' cargo containers and parked them against the wall (blocking an overhead door) on our assembly floor.

[​IMG]

They're filled with paperwork and notebooks. From his high school and college days. Literally tons of useless paper that he's saved because there are some "ideas" written down that he might need to dig out one day.

I saw him open them once a couple years ago so it's been years since they've seen daylight. I'm hoping they get infested with rodents that turn all his ideas into nests and toilets.

8. Arctic_Scrap

Arctic_Scrap
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I have a pile of electronics, wires, and computer pars that takes up a small closet and a dresser. I also have a big collection of coasters that I collect from bars. I'd like to router out some tables eventually and put the coasters under that clear plaster stuff. Then there's random shop supplies like wood and metal and stuff for the shop I envision but have no place to build where I currently live. I also have a bunch of old vehicle parts and accessories that I've been trying to sell for years but I refuse to throw any of them away because eventually someone will buy them, I just continually repost them on craigslist.

9. amberisma

amberisma
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Same here. I don't know why but I just can't get myself to throw them out. Every concert ticket, sporting event ticket, movie ticket, any type of ticket for any event, I still have saved away for whatever reason.

I also will not throw away any of my class notes/worksheets/papers/etc. I still have stuff from high school that I won't get rid of because, hey, maybe I'll need it in medical school or something. You know, high school Anatomy is almost as in depth as Gross Anatomy in medical school...almost. I still have my spanish papers (even though I'm not even taking/speaking the language anymore?), Gen chem, O chem, and Biology binders from 3 and 4 years ago. Maybe when I'm older I'll sell my genius thoughts for cash.

Lastly, I have every birthday/Christmas/Halloween/Get Well/You name it card that I have received for the past about 5+ years stored in at home in a drawer. I am a fucking weirdo.

10. Sam N

Sam N
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Every single time a class (semester) has ended, I have ritualistically thrown away every single note/worksheet/quiz/test/whatever. That is, unless the notebook still has open space. 'Cuz fuck buying new notebooks. On more than one occasion I have had buddies curse me out for not saving a test from a class they were in that I already took, though.

11. Supertramp

Supertramp
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I keep all my old Liberal Arts textbooks. Even the ones that I know can be sold for hundereds of dollars. I keep telling myself that I'll end up reading about Baroque Art one day, or that I, Claudius (novel) is going to be totally interesting to me eventually. Don't see it happening.

12. Static

Static
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

My mom kept almost every single toy she bought for me and my sister up until I was 16 and she was 20. She finally decided it was time to get rid of a good chunk of our toy collection for the following reasons:

1. We had no interest in them anymore. Which was probably a good thing as I'm sure there's some mental problem associated with a 16 year old boy suddenly abandoning a life of chasing pussy for his G.I. Joe collection.

2. The pile the toys made was almost as tall as me at the time (I think I was around 5'9").

As for me personally, I couldn't be a pack rat even if I wanted to because my job makes me move so much. In fact, I just had to get rid of a bunch of my stuff because I moved from a pretty large condo into a tiny efficiency apartment. It's weird how going from living in a big place to a little place will make you realize just how much useless crap you're capable of buying...