Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

You have a tiger tattooed on your face. You're hired!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by CharlesJohnson, Jun 16, 2014.

1. JWags

JWags
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Come on man, its not fair to bring Asian popular trends into this, just throws everything out of whack.

2. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Speaking of Asian stereotypes, the center of that bagel looks like a great bukkake reservoir.

3. jennitalia

jennitalia
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm fairly visibly tattooed and have never had a problem getting a job. However, I'm not stupid enough to think that that doesn't have something to do with how conservative the rest of my appearance is (normal looking hair/makeup and don't dress to overtly show off my tattoos) and the fact that I am a moderately decent looking girl. I also tend to work in fashion, which is fairly open minded with tattoos. I am completely okay with the fact that I will never work some corporate job - it's not really for me. If someone doesn't want to hire me because of my tattoos, that is their prerogative. I can respect that companies have an image they want to project and I've made choices that don't necessarily align with that.

I don't think government should get a say in determining whether or not a company can discriminate based on body modifications. Those are choices and you have to know that you are decreasing your job options the more you modify yourself. It's not a human rights issue the way race, gender or sexuality is. Those things are not controllable. The way you look absolutely is.

4. CharlesJohnson

CharlesJohnson
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I don't think anyone is talking about some tats and a couple piercings. Friend of mine is a lawyer and she's got her nose ring in. Her husband is a sleeved, high functioning mammal/professor who could probably manipulate his way into The Pentagon. Got into it a bit with a friend last night. She brought up a good point. It shouldn't matter what someone looks like, discrimination is still shitty. She's fucking right. However, I still have a visceral, gut reaction seeing someone studded out. The girl in the article would have to wow me to even consider hiring her. She looks like she's still stuck in middle school and I'm not buying the personal expression thing. Carnies draw less attention to themselves.

Say someone wants to be a teacher. Is superbly educated, qualified, driven, but they also want to keep their face bagel. I'm trying to wrap my head around why this person should be around kids. Kids are dumb enough as it is without Mr Face Bagel telling them go with their gut.

Completely unrelated, someone gauged their penis. Don't look at it.

I WARNED YOU

[​IMG]

Looks like a puffer fish.

And ANKLE gauges? WTF IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE.

[​IMG]

5. shimmered

shimmered
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I have a back full of large tattoos. (Not tats. Tattoos.) I had - at one time - 7 piercings. I don't judge anyone for their mods - unless the mods are gross or shitty. Good ink speaks for itself - and in my experience it says a LOT about the person wearing it.
    Mods that interfere with function are also questionable to me. I need you to work. Not worry about whether your plug / retainer fell out.

6. Frebis

Frebis
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

What is the difference between a tat and a tattoo?

7. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Tats are wicked badass pieces of expression that let you wow and/or intimidate the uncool. Tattoos are for street rats, Russian mobsters and assorted lowlifes.

8. shimmered

shimmered
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

A very good friend of mine was the artist who did almost all of my work. Tattoos are work and art and a representation of the artist and the wearer. Tats are cheap looking pieces of gimme cash. One doesn't get "tatted". One gets "tattooed". They were pretty pissy at people calling them "tats".

9. R_Flagg

R_Flagg
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

To start off by being honest I don't have any mods or tattoo's; never have and its doubtful I ever will. Piercings just look painful and the permanence of a tattoo just turns me off totally on the idea of getting one. That said I really don't have an issue with them; a large majority of the people I know or regularly interact with have a tattoo or some small piercing on them, its like seeing a mole or a freckle at this point. If I go to the dentist and see a tattoo on the assistant's wrist, big deal; the guy at the gas station who sells me cigarettes four days a week has multiple facial piercings and a full sleeve, and that doesn't bother me a bit. Would I hire an attorney with a nose stud; sure if the he/she was competent.

Like a few others here, the only line I draw is when people go to excess, like the cat with the huge fucking hole in his cheek, or that guy who tattooed himself to look like a lizard. Once you start going to extremes like that, then the only place society has for you is working at a carnival as an attraction. I find subtle body mods to be so common now as to attract notice only when they stand out, and I've always thought that as they become more common they'll grow in acceptance. Society as a rule has gotten increasingly casual in how people choose to appear in public; case in point you don't see many men wearing hats (outside baseball caps and the occasional fedora) as you once did. Men don't wear suits as often as they once did being another example; I personally have worn a suit once in the last five years. Following that loose train of logic, I don't think it's unreasonable to think that within the next ten to fifteen years you'll see visible tattoo's and perhaps minor facial piercings (nose studs and lip piercings) being seen in professional environments.

10. Not the Bees!

Not the Bees!
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Prop Joe summarises my opinion on this issue:

If you want to work in a professional business environment, you have to look the part and play the role that clients will expect. That means overly visible tattoos and excessive piercings/modifications are out. Similarly, you don't turn up in a suit if you want to work as a personal trainer, a barista or in a creative medium etc.

#30 Not the Bees!, Jun 18, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
  11. effinshenanigans

effinshenanigans
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I work at a pretty progressive IT consulting firm with a relaxed stance on dress code and a very accepting attitude when it comes to new hires.

That said, if you're in a client-facing role (which I am), then when you have meetings with clients, leave the jeans and t-shirt at home and come dressed like a professional. Depending on the client, that may just mean dress pants/shirt, but for others, I need to be in a suit. Our image is important and we're the ambassadors of the company.

We're selling a service, we need to look like we take what we do seriously. There's no way the chief of staff of a government agency considering our proposal is going to sign an agreement if I have a forehead donut.

However, if I was a developer who never met with clients, then I'm relatively certain that my donut flag could proudly fly in the office.

As someone said before (jennitalia, I think), these are things you do to yourself, not something you're born with. There's no way the government should create legislature for these types of circumstances. It's up to a company to decide what image it wants to convey and then make their decision from there.

More than that, and maybe this is a little harsh, but I don't feel bad for anyone who punches giant holes in their face so their snake tongue can poke out the side or tattoos eyes on the back of their head and then can't figure out why it's so hard to get a corporate job. That requires an amazing lack of awareness and an attitude that says "I can do whatever I want and society needs to accept and reward it."

No, society doesn't. We're required to acknowledge it, but we reserve the right to think it's fucking stupid and move on.

12. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

If people want to modify their bodies, through tattoos and piercings, that's fine. My sister has a couple tattoos and relatively small plugs in her ears. That works for her.

I just believe that you need to take some personal responsibility for your optional choices. Piercings shouldn't be protected, just like stupid haircuts shouldn't be protected, or dressing like a slob, or refusing to make eye contact with an interviewer, or anything else you're making a simple, deliberate choice about.

If you get your face pierced, or tattooed in a visible place, you should have some basic awareness that some people will accept it and some people will not. If you give yourself a purple mohawk, or wear a t-shirt with a big middle finger on it (I interviewed someone wearing one of those), that might also not be universally accepted. If you lack that awareness, then I don't think I want to work with you anyway.

I'm not sure it's the government's job to decide whether an interviewer can use the snake tattoo on your neck as a data point on whether you'll fit with their culture or represent the company well.

13. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

At least piercings close up over time if you let them. This chick let her boyfriend tattoo his name across her face:

[​IMG]

If I remember the story correctly, she's Russian. So there's that.

14. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Not only that, it was within hours of meeting the guy.

<a class="postlink" href="http://geekologie.com/2013/02/girl-gets-boyfriends-name-tattooed-acros.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://geekologie.com/2013/02/girl-gets ... -acros.php</a>

Some tattoos are awesome and well thought out and executed incredibly well, others serve as a public service announcement to the rest of society.

15. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I see this here and more jobs and success for the rest of us. Let people do whatever they want.

16. katokoch

katokoch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Doesn't this guy scream "I make good choices"?

#36 katokoch, Jun 18, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
  17. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

What happens when his lense prescription changes though?

18. katokoch

katokoch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm sure he thought that through. Just like this girl did too.

People like her are the reason why the proposed legislation shouldn't pass... they made their choices and likewise they should accept the consequences.

19. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I laughed so hard when that story first broke, and LOVED the "fuck you" stance of the artist who did it when she tried to sue him.

20. JWags

JWags
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

He's also the same dude who tattooed that the name across the girl's face a few posts up. Dude loves face tatting it seems. Shit gives me anxiety. I have a tattoo, love it, and will be getting more. But the thought of something so jarring, like on your face, and the permanence of it just gets me jittery.