Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

YOU ARE WRONG AND I AM ANGRY! (A not-serious thread)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by NatCH, Mar 23, 2020.

1. NatCH

NatCH
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

With things as they are these days, I wanted to offer up a thread for us to not talk about Coronavirus, or the politics involved in it, and just bring some of that vintage TiB feel to the world.

I've been involved in two debates in my life that I can remember, where I was 100% correct, and nobody believed me. They weren't political, or even up for interpretation. I was flat-out correct.

The first, was in my senior year of high school. We had a substitute teacher that day, and instead of doing any real work, she was offering up some logic problems and brain teasers. The last one we read went a little something like this:

A model boat is floating in a tank of water that is 12 inches deep. The water line on the hull of the boat is at 6 inches from the bottom of the boat. Gravel is added to the bottom of the tank, until the water in the tank has risen another six inches. Where will the water line now be on the boat?

Of course, I immediately said "Well, nothing changed on the boat, so it's not gonna change. Six inches from the bottom of the hull." But the rest of the class stopped me as if I had come to the conclusion without any common fucking knowledge of water displacement. The discussion went on for about 20 minutes, with one classmate saying it would be at 3 inches from the keel(?!?), another insisting it would sit even deeper.

The sub ended the discussion when it got to this point:
    NatCH: HOW CAN YOU ALL POSSIBLY BE SO STUPID?!?! THE BOAT IS GOING TO BE EXACTLY THE SAME!! SIX INCHES!!
    Classmate: BUT HOW CAN YOU BE SO SURE?!?
    NatCH: BECAUSE! FUCKING ARCHIMEDES! EUREKA!

FOCUS:
    Over the years, we've talked about things that annoy us, shitty drivers and all that. But when were you involved in a discussion/situation where you were absolutely, 100% correct, nothing having to do with opinion or point of view, and everyone else was clueless? Were you at your wit's end discussing the merits of a jet on a treadmill? Was it an icy lake, with a dog and a man stuck on it?
    Obviously, let's stay away from religion and politics.

ALT. FOCUS: Post your favorite logic problems/brain teasers.

Revengeofthenerds likes this.
  2. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Bumped

Focus: Now maybe I roll with a different crowd but most of my blow out arguments have been along the lines of the "WATER IS WET!" video. I had a buddy at a restaurant I worked at that was notorious for starting these brainles arguments. I swear one of the biggest shouting matches we got into was whether Oreaos would liquify if you put them in a blender. I don't think anybody in this quarantine lockdown is bored enough to prove that one either way....

3. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

I got into this argument with this stupid, STUPID college girl over what the “nervous system” was in the human body. She insisted it was a gland that triggered fear in our brains, meanwhile I continued to counter with what it actually was. It was hilarious because she was treating me like I was the idiot— and when of course she was proven wrong, I was labelled as some “smug asshole who has to win every argument”. At least she didn’t say “whatever”.

I don’t know what it is about people who refuse to admit they’re wrong (even in the face if evidence), but I feel the people who are correct aren’t doing enough to make them feel wrong. More shaming needs to be involved with these dummies.

4. sisterkathlouise

sisterkathlouise
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

My cousin’s husband kept trying to tell me that a euro was worth $2 and it filled me with a really unreasonable amount of rage. He just wouldn’t believe me and kept digging his heels in. It was so stupid but I knew I was right and he is the quintessential “well, actually...” kind of know it all so it took a lot of willpower to let it go.

5. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

There was this one time a plane was on a treadmill...

6. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

....and many were banned for being correct. The end.

7. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

but what if you put a fan in front of it?

8. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

That's how you get vertical takeoff without billions in R&D from Boeing and/or Lockheed:

9. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse
    Alone in the dark, drooling on himself

The fucking desert. I hate the fucking desert.
    That's some insane shit.

My dad's 172 had a STOL kit on it and it only dropped take off speed by about 10-15 mph if I remember correctly. I almost punched him in the head when he jumped that thing into the air at 50 mph off a dry lake bed. Scared the shit out of me.

10. Misanthropic

Misanthropic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

There is a particular friend of mine who would find this place very amusing. I considered turning him on to this. But. He’s the type of guy who knows everything about everything, mostly because some idiot on the internet said something that resonated with him. You folks would have shredded him, so I held back.

If you could see the shit he’s posting now you’d thank me.

11. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

That was crazy. I’ve seen helicopters need more room than that guy. He could land in a backyard pool.

12. dieformetal

dieformetal
    Expand Collapse
    Hurricanes Are My Bitch

Would we though? Shredding people is what we used to do once upon a time, I feel like there would be enough people who still feel the urge to have fun with him.

13. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

anyone have the online handles of those lion king people

14. PIMPTRESS

PIMPTRESS
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The only one I can think of recently was getting into an awkward discussion with one of my managers. She was trying to explain to me that I was treating my son’s SEVERE ADHD incorrectly by giving him medication. Her son supposedly was the same as my son (sure, ok) and she was treating it with lavender oil. When I stared at her in dumbfounded response she continued with “I spray it in his face and he calms right down!”

I foolishly tried to explain what ADHD is but she already knew everything. I walked away angry and here I am aggravated again about her and her fucking lavender oil.

15. Misanthropic

Misanthropic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

[​IMG]
    He recently quoted an episode of In Search Of, a 1970s TV show, to support his argument that climate change in the global warming sense isn’t real- the earth is actually going to get colder. Yes he’d be fun to have here but for the wrong reasons.

16. Bundy Bear

Bundy Bear
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Dinosaur fossils and the religious types that believe the world is 6000 years old is one of my favourite ones.

17. walt

walt
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I knew a guy like that. Real religious and in his heart believed the earth was only 6,000 years old. I just nodded and went about my day when I heard that one. He was a nice guy so I just couldn’t.

At a later job there was this intern, nice young girl, accelerated education so she was smart but kinda stupid at the same time. Then one day she made an offhand remark about fish not being animals. We went back and forth about it, a couple co-workers wishing they had popcorn for when I stopped holding back.

I asked where she got the idea fish weren’t animals. Her answer? The Bible. I asked what her major was in college.

Biology.

There was a moment of silence and, too stunned by the whole thing, I just shook my head and walked out of the office. Co-workers said for a long time after they couldn’t believe I walked away. But I just didn’t have the heart.

18. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

About a year ago my wife and I got into an argument over whether or not dinosaurs were real. She thought Jurassic Park just made them up. Can't even use religion as an excuse, just general stupidity.

The main sides in the argument were "how do you know dinosaurs are real?" and "Because I attended school. You're a fucking idiot."

She also told me fish was meat. Not like in the technical sense, like in the cow and pork sense. I asked her how she reasoned that a lot of fish was white in color. She looked at me all self-assured, "different part of the fish?"

19. SouthernIdiot

SouthernIdiot
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

You get this type of crazy a lot here in the South. I just agree to disagree because their world view is wrapped up in religion and logic has no effect on them.

20. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Word. You aren’t going to change a lifetime of brainwashing by yelling at somebody for ten minutes, have you ever met a Jehovah’s Witness? Those poor kids, you talk about brainwashing.... It’s best to walk away, having the actual knowledge on where the sun goes at night.