Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

X-Files Miniseries

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Juice, Jan 17, 2016.

1. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Here's the newest trailer for it:

I'm pretty excited for it. I wish it was more than 6 episodes, and I'm not sure if this will lead to more Xfiles down the road if it's successful, but we'll see. I always loved Chris Carter's style. He blends elements of sci-if, thriller, and noir seamlessly. I also highly recommend the spinoff series that came out in the late 90s, Millenium. It's darker and weirder than the Xfiles but it's excellent. The Lone Gunmen, not so much.

2. Currer Bell

Currer Bell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I've been binge watching the show on Netflix and finally finished the second movie. I had sort of given up on the show midway through season 8 and so never finished or saw second movie until now. Now onto the mini-series!

Also, I love that Joel McHale is in it.

3. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I could not force myself to binge the entire series as I have not seen it before. Just too much.

4. Currer Bell

Currer Bell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I didn't watch every episode in my binge, I only watched the mythology episodes, which wikipedia kindly listed for me. If you want a synopsis, you could watch the very last episode of the series where Mulder is put on trial and they briefly describe the whole kit and caboodle, with some flashbacks. Or read this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mythology_of_The_X-Files#Episodes

Having said that, I watched the X-Files Re-opened preview and they said that of the six episodes, only two will address mythology issues, while the other 4 will be the "monster of the week" episodes with random boogeymen.

5. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Funny thing about X-Files: that isn't necessary. I still like it despite the fact I've seen less than half the episodes, but besides the central running plot the focuses on the Alien infestation and the Cigarette Smoking Man, it was just a smart, suspensful and humourous series almost consistently, with mostly "throw-away" episodes that were like part Tales From The Crypt, part Outer Limits, noir gumshoe-mystery.

It also was the first show to really push the boundaries of extreme violence on prime time TV. Shows nowadays have an "R" rated level of violence, this was the first show O recall doing it.

It's cult following was crazy. It had an almost Trekkie-like infatuation from nerd culture but people from basically every walk of life loved it.

And that music score is now folklore. Fact.

#5 Crown Royal, Jan 18, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2016
  6. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Interesting. Few places I've read said its actually the other way around. Episodes 3 and 4 will be the standalone monster episodes with the other 4 on the mythology. Either way, we'll know soon enough. Duchovny, Anderson, and Chris Carter have all said they want to restart the series. If the miniseries is popular I could see it happening.

X-files was also one of the first mature and intelligent shows on network TV that didn't treat it's audience like retards. The earlier episodes are dated, but it's so good.

7. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

That was a good opener, but I missed the last 15 minutes because the recording was cut off from the football game running late.

They really turned the entire history of the show on its ear.

8. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

The premiere was all over the place. It was pure unnecessary exhibition. Anyone who cares about the show already knows the backstory. And it made zero sense that they just flip the mytharc on its head regarding the shadow government or whatever using alien technology to take over....what? Why is the invasion all of a sudden a red herring? How does that make any sense? They really went out of their way to shoehorn a lot of the major current events over the last 10 years into the meandering plot, but wow it was over the top stupid.

The second episode was way better. The only issue I had was that they are all of a sudden back in the FBI? Why/when? Whatever. The only thing that's missing thematically from the new season is the tone. The original series was dark and gritty, it almost invented the genre. This just doesn't have that feel to it. But the second episode was back to form and it it really ramped up in the end.

Apparently that episode was intended to be the fifth, but they swapped the order at the last minute.

9. Whothehell

Whothehell
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Just watched the first episode and was it just that I was in a bad mood or was the acting from Duchovny and McHale absolutely atrocious? Like cringe worthy bad.

I don't remember it being that terrible in the originals, and Community was great, but this is first time I've seen McHale try a non-comedic role, and nope, no good at all.

10. Currer Bell

Currer Bell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Well, I'd say it was a pretty decent set of episodes. Some good, some not so good. I thought it was hilarious how the last episode:

validated the anti-vaxxers and chemtrail conspiracy theorists.

11. Currer Bell

Currer Bell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Juice asked if it was worth watching after the third episode: I would say yes if you liked any of the first three. The first one was definitely meh. 2nd was pretty good, 3rd was great, 4th and 5th kind of on par with the 2nd. The last one was definitely better than the first, but like the first it was still jumbled with too much going on.

I kind of think I need to watch them all again to get a better feel for them. Sometimes when I watch something for the first time and there are a lot of unexpected or jarring things, it's hard to process it.

12. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

13. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Season 11 premieres January 3rd. Yes, really.