Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

WTF is a HPOA?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by shegirl, Aug 11, 2010.

1. shegirl

shegirl
    Expand Collapse
    Redemption Seeking Whore

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I'm not linking all 33 pics so the rest is here.

I read this yesterday and thought it was pure awesome. I go there today to post this and find this. DAMMIT!

Focus: Either discuss the awsome this could have been or tell a story about something equally as neato about you or someone you know/knew/work/ed with that went out with a bang.

Side note: She's a cute girl.

2. Elset

Elset
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Re: WTF is a HOPA?

I just got this in my inbox today from my brother. It was accompanied with this link, which goes on to further explain the hoax.

I had never heard of a HOPA before.

3. pterodactyl

pterodactyl
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

4. Nitwit

Nitwit
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Back when I had jobs, I was usually pretty responsible towards the people who paid me, but I did work in a restaurant in Houston for a few weeks as a waiter in training. I was rolling the silverware after a shift when the manager came over and started banging one I had just rolled on the edge of the table and after it came undone he informed me that because it did come undone as a result of being banged that I would be required to re roll the whole bin. I promptly dumped the bin on floor, told him to re roll it himself, and left.

That flight attendant did a pretty good one the other day.
    http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/08/0...ed-arguing-ny-passenger-using-emergency-exit/

5. Bryan

Bryan
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

I love it when girls act indignant at being eye candy when it's their looks that got them hired in the first place.

6. LadyLecter

LadyLecter
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

one of my favorites definitely

#6 LadyLecter, Aug 11, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
  7. scotchcrotch

scotchcrotch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

This one's a hoax, but would two years of employment warrant that?

No one's making you work anywhere and all you have to do is leave.

If your boss is an ass, get the fuck out! If you can't pay your bills, suck it up til you find your next job. But your boss is keeping you off the streets in the meantime.

It's bullshit that a line of people (esp in this economy) would be waiting for your job while you decide to settle some petty shit in front of the office.

8. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

I must say I agree with you. AND Spencer.

[​IMG]

9. Beefy Phil

Beefy Phil
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

New Rule: one must expedite one's resignation for the good of one's unemployed brethren. There shall be no shenanigans, hijinks or tomfoolery of any kind. Your brothers and sisters are eager to work for your shitty boss.

Signed,

The Management

10. dixiebandit69

dixiebandit69
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Hot Piece Of Ass.

11. Mike Ness

Mike Ness
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I worked at a small bank right out of college. One of the tellers hated it and when he quit he left a massive upper decker in the one and only bathroom.

You may know what a HOPA is but what about an upper decker?

12. RCGT

RCGT
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Is it HOPA or HPOA? And how is this cool or funny in any way? That flight attendant, now that's the way to go out.

An upper decker? I assume that's shitting in the tank?

13. Sleeves

Sleeves
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Bingo

14. lostalldoubt86

lostalldoubt86
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Either both of you have never had a shitty boss, or you are in fact the boss everyone hates

Focus: When I was in high school, I worked as a hostess in a diner. I will admit that at 16 I was a little shit who didn't understand work ethic, but the manager was a pretty big dick. Anyway, the manager hired his niece to work with me as the other hostess. She would come in late, stand in the back eating ice cream and talking on her cell phone all during her shift, then come out and point out all the tables I hadn't cleared and all the people who were waiting for a table. Basically, she thought since her uncle was the manager, she was my boss.

On one particularly busy night, this girl was up to her usual bull. Because I was a little shit, I went to her uncle and told him either he has to fire his niece or I quit. I threw quite the temper tantrum, going so far as to punch out her time card and tell her she could leave now before throwing her coat and purse out the door.

For some reason, I was not fired because of this, but did get to officially quit the next week when I came in and she was still there. She was fired a week later for stealing the waitresses tips.

15. Prefontaine

Prefontaine
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkcoobYUu8g" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkcoobYUu8g</a>

16. DrFrylock

DrFrylock
    Expand Collapse
    The White

Also a hoax. I am not looking forward to the "hoax meme" where everything I see on the Internet that is mildly awesome turns out to be completely bogus for the next ~18 months.

I'm also a little uncomfortable with a hoax like this being used to basically steal your attention, which is then sold to advertisers. This is neither epic nor really that funny unless it's real. Since it's not real, it's neither epic, nor funny. If Sean who spends 19.3 hours playing Farmville is entirely imaginary, where is the win? There isn't any, really. It's not a parody of anything; it's all fabricated. There's no deeper message, except maybe that people enjoy looking at hot girls with glasses (was this really in doubt?) It's not clever enough to be some sort of performance art. Contrast this with deliberately fake "documentaries" like Werner Herzog's Incident at Loch Ness where you are meant to eventually realize that this is fake - and then realize that what you're seeing is intentional meta-commentary on real documentaries and filmmaking.

Also consider creative viral advertising, like Old Spice Guy. Old Spice Guy is not trying to fool you into thinking he's just some guy who likes Old Spice. He is not staging car crashes or faking tweets from Demi Moore. He's an actor and he works for Old Spice. It's still pretty epic.

Instead, here, the message to the audience is "hah, you're gullible - and publicly gullible if you forwarded this to your friends! Thanks for the eyeballs bitches! See you next time you're dumb enough to click through!" Not a good long-term strategy.

#16 DrFrylock, Aug 12, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
  17. Disgustipated

Disgustipated
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Or maybe they're just the person that realises the effects this type of shit can have on the workplace. It's trite, but it's fucking true: time is money. The economy is in the toilet everywhere and businesses are going down the shitter. Generally, revenue is harder to come by. Outgoings are pretty much static or rising (at least they are here). So excuse any boss who doesn't have the greatest sense of humour or patience for this type of thing.

The act itself is not the problem. You want the quit, that's cool. No hard feelings, we might even be happy to see you go. Hell, I'd think it would be hilarious if I could throw a "termination party" whenever we fire someone, saying "anyone who works here can come... oh, sorry, guess why you're not invited". But that would be a dick move.

The problem is the disruption to work and morale. Never mind something like the posted video where the guy looks like he may have potentially violated several workplace health and safety laws (that the bosses wear the liability for).

I know it's cool to hang shit on the boss. I know your job sucks. Hey, it sucks having to run a business staffed by apathetic monkeys. It goes both ways. And I know these isolated incidents don't run things into the ground, but they don't help either. And you know what happens then, we all lose our fucking jobs. And the boss probably loses his house.

Not so funny anymore....

18. PewPewPow

PewPewPow
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

SGEDIT: Are you still drunk or what? Stop.

19. shegirl

shegirl
    Expand Collapse
    Redemption Seeking Whore

Some of you are taking this way too seriously. Lighten up.

Yes the day I saw the first series I thought it was all kinds of awesome and yes, when I saw the next series the following day I was disappointed because I so wanted it to be the real awesome. But, what's the big deal? It didn't affect you, it was a hoax, you (I) were duped and who cares.

20. pterodactyl

pterodactyl
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed