Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

world's greatest coleslaw

Discussion in 'Cooking' started by Revengeofthenerds, Oct 15, 2017.

1. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

On a scale of 1-10 this is probably like a 1.5-2 as far as how easy it is to make.

Ingredients:

- 1 head green cabbage
    - 1 head red cabbage
    - 1 bag carrots (either the shredded ones or whole if you want to use a grater)
    - 1 large head broccoli
    - 1 small bag sunflower kernerls
    - grapeseed oil (or olive oil if you prefer a thicker dressing)
    - apple cider vinegar (or red wine vinegar, put I think apple cider goes better)
    - 1 package chicken ramen
    - seasoning

You're gonna be tossing all of this in a large bowl, just one on top of the other. Your bowl can't be too big, and it will compress down later once the oil and vinegar hits it. Don't underestimate how tall this gets at first.

Shred the cabbage. Don't use the bag of cole slaw mix you get in a grocery store, it's easy as hell to just do it yourself.

Toss in the carrots. I'm fine with just the shredded bag. You can get fancy and run carrots over a grater if you prefer them more finely cut up, but they work fine with the bag of pre-shredded ones you get for like $1 at the store. Remember, a good slaw is as much about texture as anything, so do what you prefer.

For the broccoli, I just take a paring knife and cut off the very top heads right where the flowery part starts to hit the stem. Of course you can dice up the rest of it if you want, whatever works for you. This is what works for me.

Add the sunflower kernels. Put the ramen in a baggie, and pound it with something heavy like a meat tenderizing hammer, a rolling pen, your dick, whatever works. Crush it up then toss it in. Add the chicken seasoning packet too, doesn't hurt.

For the seasoning, I use allspice, ginger powder, some chili powder, celery salt, a little garlic powder and fresh thyme if I have some on hand. Whatever sounds good to you.

For the dressing, I mix the grapeseed oil and apple cider vinegar 50/50, and I do one cup of each. Having done this a few times I've found that the grapeseed oil tastes a little lighter and the apple cider has a fresher taste, but again whatever works for you.

Mix it together with a spatula or even easier just your hands, then let it sit in the fridge for at least a few hours until the dressing gets into everything. It's so good I eat this stuff as a meal by itself.

And it's so easy to make it took me longer to write this recipe than it does to make it myself.

2. jdoogie

jdoogie
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I make something very similar to this, except I like to use toasted pumpkin seeds instead of the sunflower ones. It's great especially this time of year when you can get your own pumpkins, scoop out the seeds then roast them yourself. Since they're a bit bigger, I like to give them a quick chop or throw them in a food processor for a few quick pulses.

Never thought about adding the ramen though... I'll have to try that out.

3. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

Yeah it adds a nice crunchy texture, especially when it absorbs the vinegar/oil. I imagine croutons would work well too.