Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

World Travel Thread

Discussion in 'Permanent Threads' started by Brother J, Oct 21, 2009.

1. Dingus

Dingus
    Expand Collapse
    Should still be lurking

Going to Costa Rica for spring break and I have a layover in Miami the way there and back.

Anyone know of any bars in the airport with good drink specials? I don't care what I'm drinking if I'm in an airport, as long as it has alcohol.

2. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

My brother is moving to Shanghai for 6 months or so for a project his company is doing. He wants me to come stay with him for a while, the point of which (other than to party in a foreign country) would be to learn Chinese at some sort of school. I'd live at his place and his grocery expenses are taken care of. Im not really making any sort of headway here in the US job wise and the whole experience sounds exciting and terrifying at the same time. I'd have to uproot and move half way across the world. Which is a little unnerving since this chance just came up randomly and Id have to leave in the next few months.

What is life like as an American living in China? Where would I start looking for language programs over there? A friends little brother traveled there once to teach English, has anyone have experience doing this? Would I have to learn chinese first or would I just be shoved into a classroom with a stack of American movies?

3. 123321

Expand Collapse
    Should still be lurking

Me and a friend are planning on going to Coachella in April and staying in California for around 2 weeks after. Any must sees/do? We aren't much for bars, clubs etc... and don't mind travelling.

4. SnM

SnM
    Expand Collapse
    Should still be lurking

I'm going to London in two weeks and Switzerland in April. We haven't decided exactly what we are aiming for in Switzerland yet, so I'm totally up for suggestions.

5. toddus

toddus
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Has anyone ever been to Malta? I am going with the missus in 2 weeks and want to know if it is worth hiring a car or not. Current advice from friends is it is beneficial but be wary of very small roads and crazy drivers.

6. Supertramp

Supertramp
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Last time I repost this:
    My friends and I want to go on vacation down south and we have literally a week and a half to plan it. Dominican, Mayan Riveria/Cancun or Cuba? They want to get laid, I want to relax. Should we go to an adults only resort to avoid smelly kids? or the 14+ ones? Any and all advice is highly accepted.

7. Rising Sun

Rising Sun
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

I don't have much to contribute here, I've never been outside the United States, but I do have some things (delete if appropriate):

I live in NYC, living in Brooklyn/Queens. But I didn't grow up here, so I did all the touristy stuff all the time when I came, and know a little:

-Times Square is a gigantic waste of time.
    -See a Broadway show
    -Walk the Brooklyn Bridge; and then spend a little time in Brooklyn Heights. Visit the Brooklyn Brewery http://www.brooklynbrewery.com/about/ .
    -If your going to go to things like Radio City Music Hall or Madison Square Garden, make sure you are attending events there, ex. See a Knicks/Rangers game at the Garden or see a concert or something at the RCMH. A Yankees game is pretty cool too; theres a subway that passes right by it. Don't just go to look at buildings though.
    -The Observatory at Rockefeller Center is MAGNITUDES superior to the Empire State Building. Even the elevator ride to the top is pretty cool. The main reason why it is better is that there is no stupid ass metal fence blocking your view of the city.
    -If you going in wintertime with a girl or some shit, skate at the rink at the Rock.
    -Go to Central Park to chill out and read a book or relax; great place for impromptu sports as well
    -Take the Staten Island Ferry to see the Statue of Liberty if you must (is it disappointingly small), however do not waste time on Staten Island, it must be avoided at all costs.
    -Fucking ChinaTown is awesome and a great place to get lost
    -Little Italy is fucking terrible and should not be considered a tourist spot.
    -The best thing about the subways are the perfomers in the stations. They have to actually audition to perform/play music down there and is it always pretty entertaining. This does not apply to the hacks that perform on the actual subway cars; you will hate riding the subway after awhile
    -If you are going to be in NYC during April 3rd, GO DOWN TO WALL ST and participate in International Pillow Fight Day . Put a few bricks in your pillow to knock out some stupid fucking hipster NYU students.
    -Wall St is pretty cool, but do not go on weekends or after 5pm, like someone mentioned earlier.
    -My favorite place to eat in the city? Fucking Dallas BBQ http://www.dallasbbq.com/.
    Not classy at all but a great place to recharge your batteries, and they give huge portions for a very very reasonable, dare I say cheap, price.

Much more to say but thats all I got for now.

Also, if you ever go to Puerto Rico, take the ferry to Cuelebra Island, rent a jeep for 40 bucks, and go drunken beach-hopping. Most fun I've ever had.

#107 Rising Sun, Mar 3, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
  8. Croftie

Croftie
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

Heading to Morocco on March 16th-23rd for Spring Break with a few friends. It's our senior year in college, so we opted to go somewhere we've never been before rather than the typical "beach, booze, and boobs" type Spring Break. Out itinerary consists of Fez, Chefchaouen, Volubilis, and maybe Meknes.

Anyone have any experiences in these cities? I would love to hear about some good bars to head to, restaurants to eat at, and must-see sites. That kind of thing. Anyway, if anyone has any knowledge of this, send me a DM. Thanks again.

9. Pandaman

Pandaman
    Expand Collapse
    Should still be lurking

What are you looking for in Switzerland? Nature? Cities? Partying?

10. gfh

gfh
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

I have the choice of going to either North Carolina where my parents would rent a house so I could invite my friends or Mexico at the end of the summer. I've never been to either place. I assume in Mexico I would be at an all inclusive and in North Carolina at a beach. If you've been to either place on vacation what opinions do you have about it?

11. jennitalia

jennitalia
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

So I'm planning on backpacking through Europe, mostly Italy and Greece, this summer. Besides the obvious stuff (European men and liquor), is there anything I shouldn't miss?

12. toddus

toddus
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yes. The European men. Seriously be prepared, Italian and Greek guys are pretty much sleazy as fuck especially if you are blonde. You will be yelled at, followed and generally treated like an object. Yes this is a great generalization but while backpacking it will be a reality for you.

13. epsilon

epsilon
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

I second this. Italian man strongly beleive they are the sexiest and most irresistible human beigns. My girlfriend actually got proposed for sex by an Italian guy while we were in a dorm and I was sleeping in the upper bunk. He was insulted when she refused.

14. carl24

carl24
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

I didn't find Fez to be so great, you can see that in a day, but Chefchaouen is beautiful and you can spend a number of days there.

The further south you go, the better, I think. You should actually go to Marrakesh and go south from there. Why not try a trip to the Sahara as well? You can meet some nomadic Berber people and see the Black desert near Algeria!

I also found Midelt to be a beautiful place, and some of the villages near the Atlas mountains are worth seeing. I don't remember the names of the places I have seen around there. But Morocco is a cool country, just get ready to haggle, or you will be cheated if you accept everything at the initially stated price.

Bars? Well, it is a Muslim country and most Muslim countries ban alcohol, I think Morocco included....Not really any drinking.. I think Chefchaouen had one small, inconspicuous bar that was hard to find, because I think it is because legally, it is not supposed to exist... But I have no interest in drinking when I travel anyways because I can just do that when I am at home. But that is just me

15. Currer Bell

Currer Bell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I will be in San Diego on Sunday and Monday. What is absolutely must see? Recommend any places to eat?

Is Hollywood really only a 2 hour drive, according to Yahoo maps?

16. Puffman

Puffman
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The travel times in Southern California are real dependent on the exact street you are on to your exact destination and the time of day that you are traveling. I am sure you can be in San Diego and get to Hollywood in two hours if it is at 2 am that you are traveling. I would not depend on the time schedule for almost any other time.

No need to go to Hollywood. San Diego has more than enough places to see without having to travel.

17. slippingaway

slippingaway
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Hollywood is a dump. Seriously. Don't waste your time.

18. jrczj

jrczj
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

I'm planning a trip to Spain (and maybe Morocco) for 10 or so days coming up in June. I am still in the process of deciding where to go, but I think I've narrowed it down to: Barcelona-->Ibiza or Sevilla-->Gibraltar-->Tangier. I'm not dead set on only picking between those and I'm open to suggestions on other places. Can someone point me in the right direction? Also, I would like to hear about those places, especially Ibiza. Thanks.

PS: I'll be traveling with 1-2 other guys in their early-mid 20's. We all love to party, etc. But definitely want to check out some sites as well.

19. Crazy Wolf

Crazy Wolf
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm looking to study abroad in Russia come August, and so need to apply for a visa. What's the deal with the Russian requirement for an HIV test, will any testing group do or does Russia only recognize certain organizations/types of tests?

20. Brother J

Brother J
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Cape Town and Durban

I'll be in Cape Town, Johanessburg and Durban at the beginning of April, for about 3 days each.
    Any must see or must do things? I'm already planning on hiking Table Mountain and Lions Head, but that's about all I have planned.

Thanks!