Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

World Travel Thread

Discussion in 'Permanent Threads' started by Brother J, Oct 21, 2009.

1. toddus

toddus
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Has anyone ever been to Agadir in Morocco? I am currently based in London, England and this winter has been destroying my soul. On a whim I just booked 4 days there for next week. To be honest I plan on doing nothing other then going to the gym in the morning, massage afterwards, swim in the beach, drink by the pool, dinner. Repeat.

I am fully aware of how it is a French and German tourist Mecca and having been around other parts of Morocco I am not expecting anything other then a resort town. I don't care, I just want some sun. That being said if anyone has been and has any tips that would be appreciated.

2. IHaveCandyGetInVan

IHaveCandyGetInVan
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

Auckland is pretty boring- I wouldn't choose to stay there at all with one week in NZ. Most of the really amazing scenery is on the south island- Milford/Doubtful Sound, glaciers, Abel Tasman, Marlborough Sounds, mountains. There's plenty of cool stuff on the north island- volcanoes, Lake Taupo, and loads of beachy islandy places further north (though if you're coming from Bora Bora those might not be as interesting), but overall I'd recommend the south.

One other thing I'll mention is the wines. NZ is generally more known for the whites and especially Sauv Blanc, and that's centered around Marlborough on the south island. They do some nice reds, mainly Syrah, in the Hastings/Napier area on the north island. I was in Auckland for a bit and since the city sucks, I took the ferry over to Waiheke Island for the day, toured a few of the wineries, and topped it off with a few glasses on a beach bar at sunset.

3. alistair kinnear

alistair kinnear
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

I'm going to Munich and Frankfurt from March 3-15th. We know German girls over there, so the rooming won't be a problem. However, they won't spend the whole day with us.

Any real, cliche "tourist" things to see over there? I've NEVER been to Europe before, and the corny side of me wants to do, well, the real corny things.

As well, where are the real nice places to go to? Great bars and low-key places? I appreciate any type of help.

4. toddus

toddus
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Munich is cool, just hang in the beer halls. Frankfurt sucks, like seriously sucks. It is just a financial town, I used to work there a bit and hated every trip. Try and get away to Berlin for a few days, Berlin is easily one of the coolest towns in Europe.

5. toddamus

toddamus
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

For Munich there are plenty of things to do.
    Make sure to visit the beer halls. Hofbrauhaus is the most touristy and gimmicked up beer hall but its also huge and a lot of fun. Also go to LowenBrau, and Augustiner Brauhaus. The English Garden is a gigantic park that is cool to walk around in and it also has a beer garden that should be open while you're there.
    Take a walking tour of the city, there is some cool stuff to see.
    If you get a chance go to a hostel and go on one of their beer hall tours at night and have a dam good time.

I second Berlin. Awesome city.
    And the only reason to be in Frankfurt is if you are going to or from the airport, otherwise avoid wasting your time there.

6. jrczj

jrczj
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

Has anyone been to Normandy or the area around there? Any recommendations for places to stay?

7. MoreCowbell

MoreCowbell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I want to second all of this. What toddus says is pretty good advice, based on my time there.

Munich: beer halls, specifically Hofbrauhaus (esp. if you don't mind places being a bit touristy). Eat and drink plenty of local sausage/beer. Some of the open markets are neat.

The Glockenspiel near the center of town is cool.

Nymphenburg Palace is nearby.

This is a bit morbid, but if you're in Munich, it's only a short trek to Dachau. It's a very worthwhile trip.

If you do get to Berlin, obviously the Wall, Brandenburg Gate, and Checkpoint Charlie are musts. Sanssouci, the Reichstag and some of the old WWII remains are neat (there's a bombed out cathedral in Berlin that's awesome).

8. toddus

toddus
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Dachau is a very good recommendation. My only regret is I visited there in the middle of Octoberfest and probably didn't give the place the respect it deserved.

The other thing about Berlin is as far as Western Europe goes it is pretty damn cheap. I spent New Years before last there and we hired out a brand new 2 bedroom apartment that was next to the Holocaust memorial and opposite Hotel Adlon for $140 a night. Use <a class="postlink" href="http://www.booking.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">www.booking.com</a> and search for apartments, personally when travelling I always prefer hiring apartments over hotel rooms.

9. sisterkathlouise

sisterkathlouise
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I spent the better part of last year in Copenhagen and absolutely loved it. It's really pricey, but there are plenty of fun things to do that aren't terribly exorbitant. I would recommend renting a bike for the time that you're there, because if the weather is relatively cooperative it's an awesome way to get around the city.

As for Turkey, I never made it to Istanbul, but I spent two weeks in the southwestern corner of the country and it was beyond gorgeous. I was in a bunch of itty bitty towns, though, so I don't know if it would be accessible enough, but if you could squeeze in a few days along the coast, I can't imagine you'd be disappointed.

10. Capital

Capital
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

Yeah dude, if those are your only expectations, you'll dig it. It's a nice little town. There are nicer beaches and quainter towns (Legzira Plage, Sidi Ifni) further south, but trains dont run down there and the buses aren't exactly relaxing, so I think Agadir is a good call for a quickie trip. Best seafood in the country.

11. thevoice

thevoice
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I'm going to Vegas for a third time in early June with my girlfriend. We're staying at the MGM Grand and will be there for three nights.

In my previous two trips, I've accomplished the following:

- Freemont St.
    - Toured the Grand Canyon and Hoover Dam.
    - Cirque De Soleil's "Love."
    - Seen Craig Ferguson and Bobby Slayton do stand-up.
    - Partied at Coyote Ugly, the Irish Pub at New York, New York, the Rockhouse, Carnival Court and Seemless.

I'm wondering if anybody in the area or any Vegas regulars can help suggest some different activities or things to do in VEGAS which are 'different' yet still affordable?

I'll probably have $1500 in spending money for the three-day period while the girlfriend will hopefully have around $800.

Some other questions I have:

- Is Wet Republic (MGM Grand Pool Party) a good time? Or a total rip-off?
    - Does Toby Keith's bar and grill (Harrah's) get rowdy at night? Or is it simply an eatery with a useless dance-floor?
    - Any tips on finagling a room upgrade without having to pay through the nose?
    - Do the golf-courses in the area have suitable club rentals? We both love to golf, but don't want to go through the hassle of packing them and bring them to Vegas to use only once.
    - Do strippers actually care about me? Or are they only after my money?

12. YankeeCarCzar

YankeeCarCzar
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

1600 should be fine. I don't know anything about the ferry. Try Pour House (12th street and 3rd avenue) on Sunday for great drafts and football (American) it's a scene with a lot of cute chicks.

What do you guys like to eat?
    Try Freemans, The Spotted Pig, Una Pizza (12th street between 1st avenue and 2nd avenue -the name has changed). If you're in the wall street area go to Ulysses.

13. ontherun

ontherun
    Expand Collapse
    Should still be lurking

Haiti? this is not a joke or some attempt to make light of current situations, looking for info on going there.

14. jrczj

jrczj
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

I'm heading to Zurich for the weekend. Can anyone give me some ideas of things to see, places to go, where to drink/where to pray on foreign women (without paying). Thank you.

15. manbehindthecurtain

manbehindthecurtain
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I'm looking for a warm place, either in the US or US Virgin Islands, to take a week's vacation with my wife in March. We went to Key West last year but are looking for something a little more rustic. We prefer villas or privately owned rentals over large resorts.

Any ideas? Wish I could look internationally but my passport has expired and I don't want to risk not getting the new one in time.

16. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I'll be finishing up a contract in the next 8-10 months, and am seriously considering selling almost all of my stuff (I can't bring myself to sell the race car), packing up my 2 laptops, and fucking off to someplace warm and sandy for 6 months.

I've got a new idea for a software product that I want to develop, and I'll have some pretty good cash stashed away in the bank.

So, what I'm looking for are suggestions for Canadian-friendly locations that would be stupidly cheap to live in (renting a small house/condo/something) that would also have good Internet.

I've been to Curaco, which has the Internet (I set up a few offshore gaming systems there), but the rest of the place is like a bad 1970 German/Dutch movie, with all sorts of 50 year old men in speedos. Not my thing.

Suggestions?

17. BakedBean

BakedBean
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I'm heading to northern Italy, specificlly Bologna and the Italian Alps, later in the year (April or May, not sure yet). I have a source for a cheap ticket, but I don't want to spend a fortune on hotels and transit when I'm there. Suggestions? I'm ok with hostels and stuff, I just don't want to get robbed.

Also I might take a side trip for a few days to go see Prague. Unlike Italy I don't know anybody there, so any advice is welcome.

18. toddus

toddus
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

http://www.hostelworld.com and if you really want to be careful cross check against http://www.tripadvisor.com. Any suggestion from someone here will just be the opinion of one asshole. Both links are the opinions of 100's of assholes.

That being said if there are a few of you going I would look into renting an apartment. In Bologna you could probably get a decent apartment that sleeps 3 for around $500 for a week which isn't too far off what you would pay in a hostel with the added advantage of being able to pre-drink on the cheap, cook your own meals and have your own space.

19. Sam N

Sam N
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Go to Hawaii. No passport needed and there's a million phenomenal "rustic" places you could stay. If you consider this a possibility feel free to message me for any info, but hell, it's a long ways away and it's pretty expensive, so I'd understand why you may not consider this an option.

20. AlmostGaunt

AlmostGaunt
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

G'day!

I live in Western Australia, have only been to the U.S. once when I was a kid, but now have the opportunity to go to New Orleans for a week. Can anyone recommend good bars, blues clubs, restaurants, or interesting places to see?

Cheers,

Jarrad