Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

World Travel Thread

Discussion in 'Permanent Threads' started by Brother J, Oct 21, 2009.

1. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The rolling duffels are usually heavy, and most airlines have a 50 lb. weight limit. I ended up going with 2 Brookstone hard cases because they were light and cheap, and under 10 lbs, and I can replace a hard case for $150 or so at any TJ Maxx/Marshall's. They wont' go 'off-road', but the annoyance of having a 50 lb. bag with 32 lbs of your shit was too much for me.

Work gave us 5.11 rolling bags, but they were heavy, tiny and shitty.

I'm an advocate for Osprey: https://www.osprey.com/us/en/product/shuttle-wheeled-130l-36-SHUTTLE36.html?packfinder=true (use their packfinder feature). Osprey has yet to let me down, and I have an 80l and a 45l pack from them, both with pretty bulletproof guarantees.

and Sandpiper of California: https://sandpiperca.com/collections/rolling-load-out/products/rolling-loadout-coyote-brown
    SOC is what my backpack for work/bike day trips, and I've been thrilled with it.

A few folks at work used the North Face Rolling Thunder: https://www.moosejaw.com/product/th...LA&utm_campaign=The-North-Face#productSummary

It's not bad, a hair over 10 lbs, and I've had good luck with their customer service, despite ripping one of their backpacks to shreds in Peace Corps.

If you're near an REI, go there and make one of them walk you through it. The issue a lot of folks have with this kind of luggage is not loading it right, so it's unwieldy.

Also, if you get one of these things: BUY PACKING CUBES. It's worth the additional weight, trust me.

2. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

3. AFHokie

AFHokie
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm not a big fan of 5.11, but I've had one of these bags on multiple deployments to Afghanistan, Iraq, etc and it is still in good shape. https://www.511tactical.com/soms-3-0.html

It and the larger version aren't light, but what I like about them is they're essentially a soft sided footlocker; easy to get what you need in and out. I'll also second the packing cubes.

Also, I pack a folded up army duffel in my bag as a back up. It doesn't need to be a duffel, just a similar sized bag that is light and takes up little or no space when folded. It's something I started doing after I had a bag get a large tear going through airport baggage handling. It's also come in handy if I've acquired more than what will fit to get home and mailing isn't an option.

4. AFHokie

AFHokie
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Also, airlines will allow baggage over 50lbs for additional fees. I've found 70lbs is the hard limit. If that happens (and you have multiple bags), they'll usually suggest you rearrange your packing to get all bags under the max weight. The max baggage weight is to reduce wear and prevent damage to baggage handling equipment, injury to baggage handlers and while unlikely to occur...ostensibly keep from exeeding max take off weight.

5. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

yeah I’m very familiar with that 50 lbs limit haha

at this point I can usually pick up a bag and tell just off feel, but if I’m not sure, I grab the fish scale and get an accurate reading. I’ve found that if I pack that 130L bag full, it’s close to the limit, and if I really back it tight, it’ll go over but not by much. Biggest need for the space is my wife using my extra space either for her shit or for by boys

6. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

7. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

After an absolute ton of research, I went with the North Face rolling thunder. I've used and abused north face gear for years, plus it's 155 liters, plus REI was running a coupon including free shipping. Saving money is always nice, but more importantly I have a lot of experience with that specific brand so I trust it won't shit the bed when I can least afford for it to do so.

Thanks y'all for the help

8. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Heading to Philly for the weekend of the 4th.

Any suggestions what to do/see? Things to avoid?

9. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

The people who live there.

10. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

see: any of the sports teams

avoid: any of the fans

11. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I've only been a couple times, but I went to a Phillies game and really enjoyed that ballpark. They're in town that weekend, so you know, 'merica, Freedom, etc. ought to be cool there.

12. dixiebandit69

dixiebandit69
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Be sure to down a few at Paddie's Pub.
    The drinks aren't anything special, but the staff's antics are totally worth it.

13. Trickysista

Trickysista
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Philly is bringing back the "Welcome to America" festival this year, so there are going to be a TON of free events to hit up. The fireworks are coming back to the Parkway, if you'll still be in town on Sunday night.

Parks on Tap is down by the Waterworks and looks like they have a ton of activities and good food available. https://www.parksontap.com/

They also installed a roller rink at Dillworth Park, which is right outside of City Hall. https://centercityphila.org/parks/dilworth-park/rothman-roller-rink

Depends on what you're into, but looks like most of the museums have free admission because of the festival, so I would definitely check out the National Constitution Center if you're looking to nerd out.

If you're into good beer, Monk's Cafe is the place to go. https://www.monkscafe.com/

Phillies games are always fun, so I second Rush's suggestion.

Definitely avoid South Street.

#713 Trickysista, Jun 22, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2021
  14. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

15. gamecocks

gamecocks
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

In no way world travel, but anyone have any ideas how to get from SC to Nashville flight wise at the cheapest? I'd prefer direct but with Charlotte and Atlanta right there I'm assuming one connection.

16. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

From where in SC? When are you traveling? Those are the biggest factors. I always just use Expedia and Southwest.com as my starting comparisons, and then go to the airline sites from there.

17. Bundy Bear

Bundy Bear
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Try using skyscanner to find the cheapest ones then look directly at the carrier website.

18. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Any of yall in the PNW? I'll be in Lacey, about an hour south of Seattle for the summer, and can use recommendations on stuff to do, weekend road trips, etc.

19. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Go to Pacific Raceways in Kent. Odds are there will be some racing going on this summer. Lots of vintage action.

20. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast