Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

World Travel Thread

Discussion in 'Permanent Threads' started by Brother J, Oct 21, 2009.

1. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

A .454 Casull would be a fine start.

2. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

We did Tanzania a couple years ago. If you go that way, Serengeti is, of course, spectacular, but don't leave out the Ngorongoro crater which is an amazing spot - a collapsed volcano with some incredible diversity. In the one area, there's a fresh water marsh, a mineral lake, a freshwater lake, a barren grassland, and a desert.

Also did a balloon ride over the Serengeti (awesome) and saw Olduvai gorge which is neat if you're into that kind of thing. If you can get your guide to take you down into the gorge, there are just millions of fossils of all shapes and sizes.

We booked a private safari so it was just the two of use with the guide. The groups are substantially cheaper, but it's really, really nice to set your own speed, choose what you want to see, no fighting for elbow/camera room, etc. Really let us stop and watch the wildlife. We just parked next to a family of elephants for almost an hour watching how they ate and interacted. Can't do that in a group.

The website I sent you also has our Tanzania trip under Past Trips.

3. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Behold, the reason I might move to Buenos Aires. Hands down the best ribeye I've ever eaten.

1.5 lbs of the most tender and perfectly cooked meat with a layer of ham and cheese and sun dried tomatoes on top.

Attached Files:

4. gamecocks

gamecocks
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'll be in Chicago May 19-22, what should I do/eat/see? Never been there, or any city that size before.

5. mya

mya
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Chicago is awesome. I haven't been in a couple of years so there are probably lots of new great restaurants, but a couple of my favorites are:

Girl and the Goat - try to get reservations NOW
    Purple Pig - Its on Michigan Ave so near lots of great shopping. Show up to line up right when they open ...which I believe is at 11
    Bongo Room for pancakes. Even if you don't like pancakes, get the pancakes
    Aviary - a bar with very overpriced but interesting drinks. Look at their website for how to get in.
    If there is a baseball game while you are there, go to Wrigleyville to watch a game.
    The architecture river cruise is awesome (https://www.architecture.org/experi...er-cruise-aboard-chicagos-first-lady-cruises/)
    For a great view overlooking the city, go to the outside bar at the Trump hotel. More overpriced drinks but the view is worth it. 474038_10150880688926367_1333675190_o.jpg

6. bebop007

bebop007
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

If you don't have Uber/Lyft/other random ride sharing service if would pick that up now.. Downtown is a lot of fun (and mya has great recommendations). However, it can be very overpriced (plus 10% sales tax, yay!) and you can pay just as much in other areas, likely less, than you would in downtown.

Lakeview/Wrigleyville - Dryhop is one of may favorites. Awesome beer selection and great food. It's a little cramped, but worth the wait. Wilde is another great restaurant right across the street. You can also venture to Duke of Perth (probably the place I miss most in Lakeview) for there surprisingly good all you can eat fish fry. Great drinks and spectacular atmosphere.

Andersonville/Lincoln Square - If you can make it to Lincoln Square proper, the Brauhaus is a great stop. http://www.chicagobrauhaus.com/ Great food, liters of beer and fun german folk band playing for you. Gene's Sausage shop is right nearby. It's a specialty deli on the bottom floor, but (and it should be open by then) the roof is a great spot for drinks quick german food. In Andersonville, just walk up and down Clark Street and you'll have your choice of great restaurants and boutique shopping. Bongo Room (which mya wisely recommended) is there and Lady Gregory's and Replay are great too. Hopleaf is probably my favorite spot. Much like Dryhop - absolutely killer food and drinks.

If you like arcade bars (Lord knows I do) the Headquarters near downtown (in River North) is pretty great. Logan Arcade (a bit more out of the way, unfortunately) is a great spot to play some classic arcade games.

They have great museums too, if you have the time. Museum of Science and Industry (a trek - in Hyde Park) and Field Museum (Loop adjacent so not too bad) are both great to stroll through.

This is probably a lot for a few days. Feel free to let me know if you want any more suggestions.

7. Frebis

Frebis
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

If you like baseball, or sports in general do the Wrigley Tour. It is pretty awesome. The Willis Tower is a tourist trap. But standing on the glass ledge is legitimately scary and cool. If you are in to eating Man vs. Food style things check out Hash House A Go Go.

8. archer

archer
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I can offer a couple suggestions as a foreigner, I was there late last year as part of my honeymoon.

Myas suggestions are all great options, ill add Three Dots and a Dash which is this little tiki/speakeasy bar hidden behind a non-descript door in an alley... Its a bit pricey but the drinks are strong and its a funky little place, we got pretty wasted on massive rum cocktails served in clam shells.

ymmv on this one but we randomly stopped at a bar/restaurant at the base of the Chicago Tribune building called Howells and Hood, we walked in just as they were opening around 11am (because im Australian and i dont have a beer in my hand before midday on a holiday i start getting antsy). We were pretty much the only people in there so we started chatting to the bartender and as a special treat, because we were Aussies and on our Honeymoon, the manager took us up to the top of the building where they've renovated what was apparently an old storage room into a wedding/private venue, it opens up onto a balcony directly under the flying buttresses. I dont think many people get to see this spot unless you attend a function there, its got great views of the city, amazing architecture and the bar is clad in old copper Tribune printing plates they found in the storage room. Play up the "ive never been to Chicago or a big city" card and you might get lucky... forgive the shitty iphone pics, the wife has the better photos on her camera.

Attached Files:

9. shabamon

shabamon
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Savannah, GA for the weekend with my wife. I've read here it's a great drinking city, but wife isn't going to be drinking (we're trying for a baby + general weight loss). What else can't we miss?

10. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Which weekend? Any time in the next few weeks, you'll want to take some Cutter for the sand gnats at sunset. Because, you'll want to walk around on River Street for the great drinking. Hopefully, a local will chime in and give you some more input.

- River Street (The Cotton Exchange)
    - Bonaventure Cemetery
    - Old Fort Jackson

11. Flat_Rate

Flat_Rate
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The Andaz Hotel is very nice but it's spendy.

Jenn and Friends is a cool spot for drinks, Pinkies Master Lounge is a great dive bar.

But you're not drinking so I'll just stop there.

12. gamecocks

gamecocks
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Thanks for all the suggestions. Wrigley tour was great. We also enjoyed the boat tour. Great food and drink all around.

13. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

If you are into big game hunting (Lions, etc.) shoot me a PM. Its crazy expensive but a lot of fun.

14. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

What do you think I am, a dentist?

We're just doing a few of the fancy resorts, it's basically a flying safari... lots of bush planes and remote Hemmingway-looking tenting luxury by watering holes, etc.

Booked it about 2 weeks ago now.

15. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Going to Austin, TX solo for about 40 hours in late June for literally two 1-hour meetings for work. Ill be heading down on a Sunday morning and flying back Monday night due to the timing of non-stop flights. Since Ill have to kill most of the day Sunday, any must-dos I should check out while I am in town on a solo venture? Is the Salt Lick worth driving out to?

16. Improper

Improper
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Oh, Austin. It's a great town, Juice.

The Salt Lick is good, but no reason to travel....Franklin BBQ is right in Austin, on East 11th. Treat yourself. Go Sunday, they are not open Monday. Opens at 11 am, closes when they sell out. They always sell out.

Also, live music. It's everywhere, and a lot of it is pretty good. Follow your ears, eat too much, look at the pretty girls. You can pack a lot into your 38 open hours.

17. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Blacks BBQ is right there too. Phenomenal brisket.

18. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Wrapped my Asia trip. Some thoughts -

Seoul, Korea - Nice and reserved people. Seoul was much more massive than I expected. We stayed downtown, which had less going on than I thought it would. We had to venture to the Itaewon area for decent nightlife. The DMZ tour was awesome. We didnt get to see the Joint Security Area (the building where you can technically cross into North Korea) since it was closed that week, but seeing the invasion tunnels, looking into the North Korean horizon, etc. was very cool.

Shanghai, China - The city reminded me of Blade Runner. Crowded, dirty, and polluted but it was awesome. The people were kind of assholes though, which I wasnt expecting. We walked the Bund, saw some temples and museums, and took in some fine communist propaganda. I dont think we had a bad meal there. The food, particularly the dumplings and steamed pork buns were amazing. Being fucked up at night in such a massive city and no speaking a word of the language is a little scary, but highly recommended. I really liked Shanghai and I want to go back. There was just something about the city that I loved that you cant find in the western world.

Hong Kong - Might as well be NYC. We were only there for about 36 hours, but we had an awesome time. One of the most interesting melting pots of people I've ever experienced. As soon as we went out to the bars at night, I realized where all the attractive women from the rest of Asia go. We got the most fucked up here and had one of the craziest nights in a long time.

Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon), Vietnam - I was the most excited about Vietnam because I had no idea what to expect. For a people we fought a war against 40 years ago, these were the the nicest, most friendly people we encountered on the whole trip. The people, the city, and the environment are one of a kind. Food stands every 10 feet, a bizarre, yet awesome nightlife, and just an all around awesome country. We took a speedboat tour of the Mekong Delta, War Remnants (Formerly the War of American Aggression) Museum. That was eerie and uncomfortable, but very interesting to see the other side of it. We hung out with some European ex-pats and had a great time. I highly recommend Vietnam to anyone.

Tokyo, Japan - We spent the shortest time here, about 24 hours. Had the best meal of the trip at a highly rated sushi place and the meal could be considered a religious experience. It was that good. Visited the Robot Restaurant, which was exactly what you would expect from Japan.

19. bebop007

bebop007
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The g/f and I are headed to Poland and Czech Republic (or Czechia now, I guess) next March and I wanted to ask my fellow idiots for any tips and suggestions.

In Poland, I think we are looking to spend time in Warsaw, Krakow, and Wroclaw. As far as Czech Republic, we will likely stay in Prague and play it by ear insofar as branching out into other cities.

Thanks everyone.

20. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Poland is an odd, but interesting place. Its probably better during the warmer season, but Hel on the Baltic coast is an interesting day trip worth taking I think. Pretty cool night-life there. If youre looking for romantic places, check out Kazimierz. Theres no train to get there, but if you can make it there its worth it. In Krakow, specifically, eat at Kuchnia U Doroty for real Polish food. Also, theres no better place to work up an appetite than Auschwitz. If Nazi concentration camps arent your thing, old town is a great spot to check things out. Neat little shops and restaurants.

The worst possible aspect of Poland the time of year you are going is the pollution. Its god awful in the Winter.