Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

World Travel Thread

Discussion in 'Permanent Threads' started by Brother J, Oct 21, 2009.

1. fly1180

fly1180
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Has anyone been to Ibiza or know anything about it? I want to go next summer but really don't know what to expect as far as costs, where to stay,etc so any information would useful.

2. BeerMonster

BeerMonster
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I've been to Ibiza a couple of times. Stay in San Antonio, not Ibiza Town. There's a lot more going on there, party-wise. The clubs are really pricey, but the west end of San Antonio (the main party area) isn't too bad. Buying your own alky is pretty cheap. Basically, everyone sleeps all day and parties all night. Hotels aren't that expensive, compared to the rest of western Europe. A little pricier than the rest of Spain, but not budget-busting by any means. You'll probably see more Brits than Spaniards there.

Best things to do there other than drink/party are checking out the sunset at Cafe Del Mar (only place I've ever seen 1000+ people applaud a sunset); check out Ibiza town; and take some of the small boat rides to other parts of the island (they leave from the SA marina). There's plenty of stuff to do that can fill up 3-4 days. I went for a week the first time and it felt a little too long.

3. carl24

carl24
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

If you are going to Florence, take a day trip to Siena please. You might as well take a trip to Pisa as well if you are near Florence. I think the train is less then 2 hours and ten euros round trip. It took me half a day to see Pisa. Then I went to Lucca, which was highly worth it, though I wish I had more time. There are actually many day trips to take around Florence, so see the famous Tuscany countryside. San Gimignano is also worth it. Please, enjoy the areas around Florence!

4. BeerMonster

BeerMonster
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I'd second Siena, very cool city. Also, if you're going to Pompeii and Capri you might be doing this anyway, but the Amalfi coast is a must, especially Positano and Amalfi itself. I went down for two days and ended up staying 2 weeks. Awesome area. Skip Sorrento though, not that much fun.

5. GodofWine

GodofWine
    Expand Collapse
    Lurker

I've been living in Prague teaching English since February and am currently working on renewing my long term visa. They've cracked down hardcore on visa issues here in the past year or so and I know a few people who have gotten denied. That said, my best advice would be that if you are past the 90 day tourist visa, stay illegal and don't even try to get a visa. Everyone I know who has applied after has been denied. If you have any other questions feel free to PM me. What are your current options as far as staying here illegally?

6. Guy Fawkes

Guy Fawkes
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Taking some vacation time and heading down to Virgin Gorda BVI for a few weeks.

Planning on doing some island hopping while I'm down there but I'll be on VG for at least a week. I know I got bored on St John after a week a few years ago (I'm not one to lay prone in the sand all day) so I'm looking for non-tourist guide attractions.

Suggestions?

7. DenverFogo

DenverFogo
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Since you are going to Padua and Venice you might as well visit Verona as well. The Veneto region is very nice to drive around, although January may not be the best time to do it (short days, curvy roads).

8. stcmllr

stcmllr
    Expand Collapse
    Should still be lurking

Kerry/Dingle is pretty sweet. I spent two days in Dublin and while I had fun, there really isn't a whole lot to see.

I'm going to Barcelona for Thanksgiving. We are planning on just partying and whatnot, but if anyone has any cool suggestions, let me know.

9. MoreCowbell

MoreCowbell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

If you were in London, where would you go for a short (weekend, 5 day max) trip?

I plan on doing the whole weeks-long-tour-of-Europe thing later. What places makes a good weekend? Short travel time from London is a plus.

10. Nothingdoing

Nothingdoing
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

What's your budget? From what I've seen you can travel almost anywhere in Europe for cheap. A friend and I are actually planning a week long trip to Brussels very soon which looks like its going be around £350 all up.

If you're looking for something cheaper then I personally found Dorset to be cheap and a great place to go if you enjoy scenery and walking (Train tickets were around £25 from London) or South Wales (Tickets were around £17.50)

11. MajorLazer

MajorLazer
    Expand Collapse
    Should still be lurking

Has anyone managed to get into the old World Travel Thread? I realise that going on about the old board is tiresome but there was an intro post by CaptCapital that was useful for reference.

12. Beans

Beans
    Expand Collapse
    Should still be lurking

I lived in Dublin for 4 months the summer before last and the closest town that I would recommend would be Malahide. It's a really nice town with a beach, great pubs, and a kick-ass castle where they hold concerts (I saw Radiohead and Neil Young there). If there isn't a show going on, the castle is worth checking out on its own.

If you have a car I also think Co. Wicklow is a great place to visit for the day. It's about an hour and a half away but it is beautiful and you will find the landscapes that people typically associate with Ireland there.

13. Pow

Pow
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I'm going to Argentina for 3 weeks beginning at Christmas. Any suggestions? Cool events or places? The GF will be there for the first 2 weeks, but then she's flying back out of BA.

Any tips on how to create a good itinerary for 3 weeks would be awesome. I had originally planned 5 weeks, but had to cut it short. I would rather not take a 'snapshot tour', but wouldn't mind seeing another country as well. I was thinking either Bolivia or Chile.. thoughts?

So far the only things on the list are Patagonia, Bariloche, Buenos Aires (fly in and out), and Mendoza. I know just the slightest amount of spanish, and am still working on it.

14. Dry

Dry
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

I'm going to Tokyo next month, and currently that's all the information I have.
    Can anyone recommend any cheap accomodation, worthwhile sights and cool drinking places?
    Is there anywhere that I should stay away from?

15. Dcc001

Dcc001
    Expand Collapse
    New Bitch On Top

I've been getting some PMs asking about the round the world trip I mentioned on the General Discussion board. I'll just post some FYI stuff here in case more of you have questions.

Cost:
    This is really tough to estimate. Depending on where you go, what you do and how you live. For the year I saved $25,000 and spent even more than that. However, I ran into people travelling who were doing the entire trip for under $10,000. They were the people who were eating plain pasta, doing their laundry in public washroom sinks and camping out on hostel lawns. To save money, I recommend:
    1. Avoid Western Europe. Very expensive, no matter where you go. If you DO go there try and not have a set itinerary. Just grab cheap (around $80) flights to places that interest you.
    2. Do not buy a round-the-world ticket. They are inflexible, cost lots of money to change and the only way you can access them is through the airline you purchased it through. Meaning, for example, you can't call Lufthansa and change a seat because only Air Canada knows the ticket exists.
    3. Go to off-the-beaten-path destinations. I strongly recommend Eastern Europe and Southeast Asia. Much cheaper, great travelling and you meet cool people wherever you go.

Volunteering:
    Very, very few volunteer/NGO programs will accept you without you having to pay or donate. The only one I found was the Peace Corps, and they require 2 years of service AND you have to be American. Otherwise, you'll be paying to volunteer. When choosing a volunteer program I recommend the book Volunteer Vacations. They have three great appendicies that break each organization down by type of work, duration and location. In my experience if you are volunteering for less than 6 months you will not actually be helping the community. You'll be seen as a cash cow, and you won't be immersed within the culture for enough time to absorb it. Just my $0.02 for people who think they'll go somewhere and volunteer for three weeks and "make a difference."

Getting Around:
    I've heard about 50/50 for Eurorail passes - some loved them, some thought they were a waste of money. Be advised that a Eurorail pass will limit you somewhat (like a round-the-world ticket), and that you typically have to pay extra depending on the location or the kind of train you're taking. Also, you need time. It adds days to each journey. Oh, and don't think you'll "enjoy the scenery" on the train - you see trees, bushes and concrete since local people don't like having trains whiz through their yards any more than we would here.

Accomodation:
    I strongly recommend http://www.hostels.com or http://www.hostelworld.com. Just pick the location and then pick the hostels rated over 80%. I never had a bad experience, they were all clean and nothing ever got stolen.

Packing:
    Pack light. Set out everything you need, then take off half. Then take out some more. Things you should pack extra of: any medication or brand-specific things you use daily (myself, I have a particular chapstick that I can't function without). Also a journal is good. I never write in a journal, except when I'm travelling. It'll give you a place to vent when things go badly.

16. Beans

Beans
    Expand Collapse
    Should still be lurking

I'm going to be going to India for two weeks in March as a part of my international business program. The trip is fairly well-defined as far as places to stay and activities during the day (mostly visiting the corporate offices of international companies in India) but we basically have the nights and weekends to ourselves.

I'm going to be in Delhi, Bangalore, and Hyderabad - any recommendations for must-see places to visit or to party at? Or just general advice about traveling to India in general?

17. Woody

Woody
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

Traveling

There wasn't a thread in the permanent section so I'm throwing this suggestion up there. If anyone is traveling anywhere within the continental states and need places to go to post here is the place to ask.

I'll be in Argyle/Dallas area for the next week, anyone know of good places to go to?

18. Pete Mitchell

Pete Mitchell
    Expand Collapse
    Should still be lurking

Traveling to Australia

Myself and one of my roommates just graduated from college in May. He had a one year internship/living abroad program set up with the Mountbatten Institute in London but it fell through for him last minute. So now that he is out of that, the two of us are looking to go to Australia for up to a year. We are both Finance majors and would ideally be looking for something like the Mountbatten program that would set us up with housing and some sort of internship in a related field. Does anyone on the board have experience with this or have some pointers for searching out programs? We're looking to move on something asap.

We found This so far but it doesn't provide housing or guarantee a job like the Mountbatten did.

19. NurseNikki

NurseNikki
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

I'm looking for information from anyone who has worked as a volunteer abroad in the health care industry. I have checked out a few different agencies but I'm after first hand knowledge rather than what's on the individual websites. I won't be going for another 18 months or so, but I'm looking to take some post grad units in Remote Health and Tropical Medicine.

By the time I leave, I'll be a CCRN (Critical Care Registered Nurse, for non Aussies).

Any first hand knowledge would be great.

20. BeerMonster

BeerMonster
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I have one extra day left over on my upcoming trip, and I've basically narrowed it down to 2 places - Belfast or Luxembourg. Yes, I know they're nowhere near each other...they would be fit into different parts of the trip. Anyway, my question is this - I assume there are people from Belfast or have been there, and can tell me stuff about it . But has anyone here been to Luxembourg, and is it worth going out of my way for?