Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

World Travel Thread

Discussion in 'Permanent Threads' started by Brother J, Oct 21, 2009.

1. Brother J

Brother J
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

I know the World Travel Thread is over in the attentioncrash forum, but might get some traffic over here.

FOCUS: Post about World Travelling.

2. Frank n Beans

Frank n Beans
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

A friend of mine is moving to Australia for 6 months so I'm thinking about flying there. Most of what I can find is for about $2,000 but I thought before people were able to get flights for around $1,100. Anyone have some tips of what travel sites to use or other ways to find it cheaper?

Also if we make it down there, we have some friends that live in New Zealand we'd like to visit. What would be the easiest/cheapest way to get over there? Thanks ahead of time.

EDIT: Guess I should add I'm from the Midwest of USA.

3. Nothingdoing

Nothingdoing
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I've always found expedia to be really cheap when it comes to flights.

Regarding making it over to New Zealand, the only way to do that is by plane. For that you have a few major airlines who fly daily. In my opinion the cheapest would possibly be Jetstar or Air New Zealand, last time I checked you would be looking at paying around NZ$180 - $220 for a ticket.

Keep in mind also that as its currently summer over there, everyone is going and tickets can jump up in price.

4. toddus

toddus
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Foreign exchange rates, the Australian dollar is insanely strong at the moment.

5. BeerMonster

BeerMonster
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Air New Zealand offers free stopovers in Auckland on the way to Australia a lot of the time. They only fly out of LA, so you'd have to pick up a connecting flight on an affiliate airline. 2k is steep though. It will be pricier because we're approaching the summer down there, so you have to take that into consideration. May is the cheapest month of the year to fly there, but I dunno if your friend will still be there or not. Try dicking around with expedia, kayak, and Air New Zealand's website. I flew last may for 1200 out of Vancouver, BC...so you should be able to do it for around that from the midwest. If you have any more questions, just PM me.

6. Frank n Beans

Frank n Beans
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I thought I remembered someone saying there was cheaper flying out of LA, but I couldn't remember why it was. He's going to be there from November - May, but I only get 10 vacation days a year so I'm using the Christmas/New Years holidays to make it worthwhile. I just figure it's a pretty sweet opportunity to be able to go down there and stay for free that I hopefully can do, but if not it's no big deal. Thanks for the tips!

7. Schmohawk

Schmohawk
    Expand Collapse
    Lurker

The Wifey and I are taking a 3 day trip to Dublin in a few weeks. But after looking more into it and talking to friends, it seems you can pretty much knock out all of the main touristy stuff in Dublin in a day two. Anyone have any suggestions for a good day trip outside of the city? We'll probably have a car, and I'd be willing to drive up to maybe 3 hours each way, at the most. Any 'must see' spots in Ireland not terribly far from Dublin? Unfortunately it will be November, so golfing is not an option.

8. Cope

Cope
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

I'm looking to travel abroad for cheap, so I'm thinking of going with a volunteer organization. I was wondering if anyone has experience doing free/low cost volunteer work for travel, and any recommendations for programs.

9. Brother J

Brother J
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Anyone have much experience in Africa, specifically Botswana? I'm going to be in and around Gaborone and Maun area for a few months starting in January.
    Any must sees or things I shouldn't be missing out on? The Chobe National Park I know is something I'll be seeing for sure through the work I'm doing while over there, but any other areas of interest?
    Along with that if I have enough free time, I wanted to catch a flight to Madagascar from Johannesburg. Anyone been to Madagascar and can recommend how to best see the place?

Thanks!

10. rezy

rezy
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Tried this on the old board a few days before it got shitcanned. Going to Capetown, South Africa in June 2010 for about 10 days. Any recommendations for food, booze, stuff to do outside of the soccer games would be greatly appreciated.

11. IHaveCandyGetInVan

IHaveCandyGetInVan
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

I've flown from LA to Auckland twice in the last year. Both times my cheapest option was Qantas. Logically the cheapest flights to Aus/NZ from the US are going to be from the west coast. It might end up being cheaper overall or easier logistically for you to get a flight originating in CHI or MSP or wherever you're coming from on a US-based airline that goes to Aus/NZ than to fly to LA and then catch a flight on Qantas/Air NZ/etc. So just look at your options for flights (search expedia/orbitz/whatever site you prefer and the actual carrier's website) and go from there.

12. Ahojlaska

Ahojlaska
    Expand Collapse
    Should still be lurking

I'm currently living in Prague doing the English teaching thing. It's been a hell of a ride and I was wondering if anyone has any experience with living in the Czech Republic without a visa. I'm having some trouble getting one and I have a few options (all pretty much illegal). If anyone has any experience a PM would be great.

Also if anyone has any questions about TEFL, Prague, and/or moving abroad, feel free to ask. I just went through it and can answer pretty much anything.

13. toddus

toddus
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I played the below course in November 07 and would not recommend playing golf this time of year to anyone. Every 3rd hole I had to stop and take my golf shoes off to pour water out of them. It was miserable.

http://www.portmarnockgolfclub.ie/

14. travdiddy84

travdiddy84
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I'm considering a trip to Iceland next summer. There was someone on the old board (can't remember who) who told me a bit about it. Are you here? If not, anyone have any experiences to share?

15. carl24

carl24
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

Howth is nice, and I found Dun Laoghaire to be charming, especially the people. I went to a few other places, but can not remember the village names. I will ask my ex gf, she wrote down all the locations of the places we went to. And Dublin is not so great. I saw everything in less then a day.

I'll approach this from a slightly different angle. Have you ever thought about teaching? It is fairly easy to get jobs in many Asian countries, even without a lot of qualifications. China is in desperate need of English teachers, for instance.

16. Beer Me

Beer Me
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Well all my life, I grew up travelling only within a couple hours of where I grew up, so a big vacation was going to a city 3 hours away, that was it.

But my favourite travel experiences I've had were going to Quebec City (few hours from Montreal). While the people there may not speak english well (but if you just try to say ONE thing in French.. they'll interrupt you in English, each and every time), but the girls there are hot. But also, I was just wow'ed by the architecture of the Old part of the city, 400 year old brick buildings... very European. My highlights were bar hopping every weekend, and going to Chez Ashton's for a poutine.. they have THE best poutine I've ever had.. it's basically mandatory to try if ever in Quebec. I was even luckier when I was there.. I got to see a free Paul McCartney concert, and concerts by dozens of various musicians ranging from local rock bands to Van Halen. Great times

17. johnnychase

johnnychase
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

I lived in Prague in 2005 on a tourist visa and had zero issues with anything related to immigration, visas, etc. I wasn't working there, so I can't speak of the legalities of being employed without a work permit. Either it's a big deal or it's not. You're an American, I'm assuming? I seriously wouldn't worry about a visa while living in Prague. I had several roommates, all of whom worked and were from the US and not a single one had anything besides a standard tourist visa. They'd all been living there for a couple of years at least, stressing about visas never came up, not once.

18. aro

aro
    Expand Collapse
    Should still be lurking

Fly V Australia http://www.vaustralia.com/?siteselect=1. I did a search from LA to Brisbane departing 25 November, returning December 12 for a grand total of $989.

Plenty of local airlines fly over to New Zealand now. Check out http://www.webjet.com.au/flights/new-zealand/. Webjet is also a great site for checking all domestic flights in Australia. Cheapest to Auckland at the moment is Jetstar at $199.

19. BeerMonster

BeerMonster
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

It was me. I can tell you whatever you wanna know. I'm actually going back in February because it's so awesome.

20. grubes47

grubes47
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

I'm going to Italy for three weeks in January. I'll be going to Palermo, Naples, Rome, Pompeii, Capri, Florence, Venice, and Pauda. Does anyone have any suggestions for things that I should see or do while I am there?