Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Workstations / Desktops / Servers

Discussion in 'Technical Board' started by Nettdata, Dec 1, 2009.

1. $100T2

$100T2
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yeah, I was thinking of doing all SSD storage anyway, just for the sake of performance. Luckily, I'm not paying for it. With the way they pay for things here, it's easier for me to order it online or build it here instead of a local pc shop.

What do you think about something like this?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA5DJ3C01106

2. $100T2

$100T2
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

We were all running the simulators on our laptops (500GB hard drives, 4GB of RAM, 2.33mhz processors) and they would freeze. Once we started upgrading RAM (16GB upgrade kits), they all run fine. My current machine is running 32GB of RAM and runs everything like butter.

3. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yep, that's a server. I just don't know if it will do what you need it to, and that's the price without any drive space or real memory installed.

High volume SSD's are expensive.

Also, you're going to need a server-capable operating system that will allow multi-user remote logins, which will also affect your price.

Again, you're talking some real money here, and if it's your first time digging into this shit, I'd definitely find someone local to help you through the process, who you can better explain your problem to.

Do not trust or listen to specific advice on hardware from this forum, or it will probably end up biting you in the ass, because we really don't know your real problem or the specifics of what you're trying to fix... and you're not providing anywhere near the level of detail required for us to provide you with anything other than a general, "it may or may not work" piece of advice.

$0.02

4. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Right, but nothing you're saying points to any kind of actual measurement or observation... you're just throwing shit up against the wall to see what sticks.

You really need to dig into the specifics of the process and measure/observe the actual memory/CPU/disk activity that is going on so you KNOW what is going on from a hardware level, BEFORE you go out and throw more hardware at it.

Again, just my $0.02.

5. $100T2

$100T2
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

OK, cool. I appreciate the advice and will start doing a lot more research on this before we start kicking around the money. You guys rule as always.

6. Clutch

Clutch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Another thing that probably doesn't affect you, but I'll throw out there because of the word "simulation." You should find out if it is trying to do any calculations on the GPU. If so, you need to consider that as well.

7. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Resurrecting this thread from ancient history...

I'm seriously considering building a new desktop/developer machine for my home office, and am looking at the latest Threadripper 2 chip.

Anyone have any experience with it, or the first Threadripper chip?

I'm really interested in it for the huge multi-threading, seeing as I do a ton of Kubernetes, Cloud Foundry, and other multiple microservices/container environment development.

I just need the chip, the motherboard, and maybe a new case, as I'll steal the other stuff (video card, drives, memory, etc) from my existing box.

Anyone?

8. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

We had a couple test systems here at work.

I'm sure they're lovely for many tasks, but we found the speeds weren't quite as advertised, and it seems to be an issue where not all of the cores have direct access to the memory. For CPU-only workloads, they're great. But unfortunately, most microservices (which is what we were testing) also consume memory and their advantage is significantly scaled back when accessing memory.

I'm guessing in most applications they'll be pretty good and certainly you can get a lot of threads running simultaneously. At the end of the day here, the increase in processing didn't really trade off with the huge power draw and introduction of another supported system, especially since the increase is somewhat limited by the memory access. Obviously support isn't a big issue for home systems, but you might want to look into the memory access limitations.

Oh, and at the high end, these fuckers draw a TON of power. Which might matter for a home system.

9. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Thanks for the insight. I've heard similar issues, which as a PROD server would not be a good thing, but seem to be a benefit for spinning up a single-user dev environment with a ton of threading (kubernetes cluster running multiple containers/services, etc).

As to the power... yeah, they throw a shitload of heat from what I hear.

Everything I've heard says that Threadripper 2 has more cores/threads than v1, but really, the 16/32 of v1 is still the best bang for the buck and v2 isn't quite worth the price at this point.

The vast majority of apps I use/build are cpu/thread intensive, not memory, so I'm still kind of tempted to build out a TR v1 based box.

We'll see...

10. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Smarter Every Day did a bit of a 10 minute info-mercial for a custom computer system shop called Puget Systems (because they set him up with a new rendering box for his channel).

While the 10 minute mainstream video was a bit interesting, it was a bit lightweight.

He's also put up a 2+ hour behind-the-scenes video of the shop, and it's kind of interesting if you're into that kind of thing.

It's on his second channel, so might not get the same visibility, but thought some around here might enjoy it.