Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Workstations / Desktops / Servers

Discussion in 'Technical Board' started by Nettdata, Dec 1, 2009.

1. Fiveslide

Fiveslide
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Hey, folks. Can some of you give me some newegg links for off-the-shelf gaming desktops that you would recommend. I think it's time to get the kid one. I don't understand computer speak, the descriptions may as well be written in some yet to be discovered alien language.

I'm looking for one that is good now and upgradable for the future as he ages.

2. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

What’s your budget? How old is he and what kind of games does he like?

3. Fiveslide

Fiveslide
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Want to stay below $2000. I know he wants to get teardown, choo choo charles when it's released. Fantasy games, sandbox type games, building games, stuff like that. He's 8, and he's light-years ahead of me with gaming and i know he's just going to get better fast, especially in the next couple years.

4. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

None of those types of games are that rig-intensive. Anything last generation should be able to run those without issue. That being said, if you want to future-proof it a bit (~5 years or so) then you can get a pre-built rig for about $1000-1500 that will last that long. You can probably upgrade your video card and memory once near the end of that cycle without getting a bottleneck from the rest of your hardware. CyberPower PCs are pretty decent pre-built systems that will keep him happy. I would make sure that your current monitor can handle above 60Hz (if you don’t upgrade it) otherwise you won’t get the full potential out of your new GPU if he dives into FPS games and such when he’s a little older.

5. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I can’t help much around hardware purchases, but I will say upgrade your monitor cables to the latest spec rather than try and save a few bucks using one from years ago.

The usb-c/thunderbolt specs have changed and sometimes an old cable that can’t support the newest specs is the weak link in the chain.

And it’s damn near impossible to tell visually.

6. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I am still rocking a 970, still works okish. Will need to upgrade when the new ones come out. You are generally ok with video cards for a few cycles if you are not playing the latest FPS at the highest fps.

7. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Agreed. A friend still has a 1080 Ti which is on par with the current-gen 3060 unless you care of raytracing and that kind of shit.

8. Fiveslide

Fiveslide
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

So I ended up letting my nephew build me a gaming PC. It had some issues when it got here from Montana. It's in the shop now. when it ran, it was great, but it would blue screen occasionally. Then my wife decided she would try and fix it. She FUBAR'd it.

I may or may not be regretting going this route based on this repair bill I get.

9. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I use iDrive for my Cloud backup. It used to work really well, but lately has been giving me some frustration. I backup my company files and a few personal directories. I used to have it set to backup at 8pm everyday. Then, a few months ago, I did an update to the iDrive software, and it's been trouble ever since. The automatic backup stopped working. I tried to work with their support, but couldn't get it resolved. So, I have just been manually backing up. I just click "go" as I'm walking out of the office. That's not that big of a deal, but sometimes the iDrive software "forgets" my backup set, and I have to take the time to re-click the specific directories and the whole backup set again.

Last week, I needed to restore a file from the backup set, and when I navigated through the directory, it wasn't in the list. It's something like RushFiles>ClientName>ClientProject>File004.doc. File001.doc or File003.dwg are there, but not File 004.doc. However, if I "search" specifically for File004.doc, it is located and I can restore it. In other words, it's backing up everything, it's not just showing all the files the full structure. (It's about

Well, that's crap, so I was going to call iDrive for support again. However, I didn't have the latest software update, and figured I better do that, as they would certainly tell me to do that first. I uninstalled the whole app, and reinstalled the latest, reconfigured by backup set and set the automatic backup for 8pm. When, I came in this morning, the backup had failed because the "device was deleted" (The particular plan I have lets me backup multiple computers and devices, even though I just do the one.) Obviously, the device wasn't deleted.

So, I get on the phone with iDrive and they're all friendly and helpful. They can see the recent errors, and are equally as confused as I am. It's not a common problem or easy known fix. (By the way, if I use the iDrive app OR if I log in to iDrive.com to my Cloud drive, it's a problem both ways - the files are NOT listed, but I can search them and find them.) And, they have no idea why I got the "device was deleted" error.

Their solution is they want me to give them remote access to my computer in order to help resolve this. I have some confidential client files that I am not allowed to give them access to (my agreements are different having robot / cloud access than individual access), and I use this computer for personal things, too. So, I don't want to allow them access to some of my financial, family and personal health info.

All of this setup for my question: Can I create an Inbound Rule in my Firewall Protection, so that I can restrict certain directories and not give them remote access to everything? I haven't ever done that. I can't seem to find much on the internet, and be beyond my capabilities. It's only about 5 directories that I need to protect. I can right click on them and one of the options is "remove access." If I click that, nothing happens? I just have no idea on this, as I've never given remote access to anyone, and don't really want to.

Also, I keep my computer up-to-date, but I am only running Windows 10 Home.

10. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

No. Firewall access is network access that has nothing to do with files. It just means network access to the machine, or not. No other rules.

The account they then log in with is where you do sharing and file/folder restrictions.

Depends how they log in. They probably need to log in as an administrator.