Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Workstations / Desktops / Servers

Discussion in 'Technical Board' started by Nettdata, Dec 1, 2009.

1. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

wow, and i thought my 970 was old

2. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

My card before that was a GeForce 3. Not three hundred. Just... three.

3. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Wow, you upgrade even slower then me, i didn't think that was possible.

4. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Windows 10
    I used to be able to schedule update / restart when it was convenient for me, and prevent automatic shutdown and restart. When there was a new update, my "power" icon would have a green dot on it, I could click the setting and see that an update was scheduled for "tonight at 7pm" or whatever. I could change the settings to a time that was convenient for me, and then make sure I had shut down all my apps at the end of that day, or whenever I chose in the next few days, so I didn't lose info. I also have 3-4 apps that I keep open, and when I come into work, I can just get to it, instead of having to relaunch them all.

For the past two nights, my computer has been restarted overnight. We've had a bunch of storms, so I thought after the first one, that maybe the power had been out longer than my battery backup works. But, after the second time, I checked the event viewer. Windows is updating and shutting down and restarting on its own, and Update Settings no longer gives the option to "notify me before shutdown" or whatever it was. The only thing I can do is "temporarily pause updates for up to 35 days." That's not what I want. I want the updates, I just want to know when my computer is going to shut down and restart, and change that to a convenient time for me.

All the stuff I am finding on Google search is based on the previous settings and doesn't provide an answer. Is there an option I am missing or a setting I am not finding? Did this change recently?

5. jdoogie

jdoogie
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Bit of a gaming related question, but I still think it belongs in here...

I finally ended up getting my new desktop gaming PC this week and plan on getting it all set up over the weekend, but on my CURRENT PC I've got all of my steam games downloaded onto a regular 2TB HDD that's used for games and other media storage and then just run the steam client from my main SSD.

My question is... if I pull the HDD out of my current PC and put it into one of the expansion bays on the new PC, then download the Steam client on THAT SSD, will it be able to then launch all the games or will I need to basically delete them all and re-download so that the client plays well?