Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Workstations / Desktops / Servers

Discussion in 'Technical Board' started by Nettdata, Dec 1, 2009.

1. Frebis

Frebis
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I’m a developer. According to analytics 1% of our users use internet explored. 30% of my time is spent trying to figure out how to make JavaScript or CSS work for internet explored. I wish it would die in a fire.

2. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

You should be psyched about Chromium Edge, then.

3. malisbad

malisbad
    Expand Collapse
    Town Drunk

Edge is a solid browser. It's got some different paradigms for it, and it's victim of the lower market share. The previous edge browser was really good as well.

4. Frebis

Frebis
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

What does this have to do with internet explorer 11? A new edge isn’t going to keep idiots from using a ten year old browser.

5. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I don't like restarting my computer after a mandatory update and having to use Task Manager to end task in order to get rid of something I didn't ask to be running. I'm sure Edge is fine for those that want to run it. But, there was no "exit" option or "if you find this interesting, feel free to come back and look at this later, just click here to close" options. I was not able to use my computer until I found a work around. It's unecessarily intrusive, and it's another phone call I have to handle since my mother doesn't know how to ctrl-alt-del to get to Task Manager to get rid of it.

6. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Sure it will. Half the reason idiots use an ancient browser is because it's the default thing that came with their computer. If Chromium Edge is now the default thing, they'll click on that. IE isn't going away overnight but this is its eviction notice.

If Edge locked up your computer then that sucks, but it's not a normal occurrence. Edge runs on its new install to say "hey, I'm here." You click a button or two to say, "okay, I see you" and it goes away.

I'm not saying you weren't annoyed by whatever anomaly you experienced that locked your computer up, but there's no reason to go through any meaningful effort here. Close the window and leave it alone, it's a good default browser if something happens to Chrome/Firefox and you need to use something.

7. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Not to continue beating this dead horse . . . but, I don't know if it will do it again when I reboot, which is why I was originally asking.

It did NOT lock up my computer. But, there was no "close the window" option, is my point. I am familiar with other "okay, I see you" and it goes away notices and what not. (lol, I've been a microsoft user a long time.) But, there was no option for that. That was the first part of my annoyance. (I digress here, but I don't always see the "Windows 10 is going to restart your computer whether you like it or not" notices. Previous versions of Windows would let me acknowledge that the restart was going to happen and allow me to shut everything down. Once Windows 10 gets impatient, it does it anyway. So, I happened to notice it this time, schedule the restart for last night, closed and saved everything - sometimes I jot notes on Notepad and leave a few open. This morning, when I came in, I was ready to get to work, need to find something quickly, and had to wait on NewEdge to do it's thing.)

The second part of my annoyance is that I can't uninstall it. "Uninstall" is greyed out, not an option. If I choose "Modify" nothing happens. And, the Microsoft Edge Update also has the "Uninstall" option greyed out. So, I guess have some random update that's going to just happen to look forward to.

8. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

As far as I’m concerned, Windows 10 is adware. I only use it for gaming, and that box spents most of it life running Ubuntu.

9. malisbad

malisbad
    Expand Collapse
    Town Drunk

Made a new system! Only holdover from the previous one (except the disk drives) was the Asus Strix GTX1080. I went small form factor (SFF) on this, and was pretty pleased to find that everything fit, and it seems to be keeping pretty cool. I wanted to reclaim some space since Japanese apartments are a bit tight, and my microATX build was taking up a lot of space under the desk, and it was a dust magnet. Now I've got the PC up top with me.

The system:
    • i5-10600 (Not overclockable. It was an extra 15,000 JPY to get the unlocked processor, and this one is more efficient anyways). It also comes with a stock cooler.
    • ASRock Z490m/ac (mITX)
    • Patriot Viper DD4 32Gb-3600Mhz
    • Silverstone SFX PSU, 500W
    • Silverstone RVZ-03 case
    • Crucial nvme m.2 ssd (500Gb)
    This was probably the slowest build I've ever done because things were tight. The case has a lot of handy-dandy little features to help, but cable management is still the trickiest thing to do by far. I had bought an AIO liquid cooler for the CPU (Silverstone PF120), but it was waaaay too big for the case, and the piping was too long/inflexible. The case case it was liquid cooling ready, but there is a single cooler it has in mind (Silverstone's own very slim 120mm AIO). The stock intel one seems to be doing just fine though!

Edit: Mb -> Gb, doh

Attached Files:

#189 malisbad, Jul 18, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2020
  10. Jimmy James

Jimmy James
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Cool build dude, jealous as fuck. I'm a huge fan of SFF machines and have been dying to build one. I'd love to get a Dan A4 or Skyreach 4 Mini or something like that but they invariably cost more than I'm comfortable spending and/or are never available. Don't get me started on NanoATX PSUs.

11. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I couldn't believe how fast nvme boots compared to a normal ssd. It is like 2 seconds to boot.

12. malisbad

malisbad
    Expand Collapse
    Town Drunk

The case was ~$175 without the PSU, and the PSU was ~$100. Not too bad at the SFX size. I wanted that DAN A4 soooo bad, but not at $600.

13. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

So who’s getting one of the Nvidia Ampere cards? Feel bad for the suckers that recently bought a 2080 Ti...

14. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Yeah. I’ll be picking one up once they’re available.

That 3090 is a beast.

15. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Yeah, looking forward to the benchmarks, particularly for games like the new Flight Simulator which cant even be maxed out with the 2080Ti (8K at 60FPS or whatever). The fact that it crushes even the Titan RTX is nuts.

16. TJMax

TJMax
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

This is my list for a build for both Flight Simulator and sim racing, if in the next few months I feel like setting better than five grand on fire. I already have a Logitech wheel/pedals/shifter, and have been trying out Assetto Corsa. I'm holding off on buying FS2020 for now.

17. malisbad

malisbad
    Expand Collapse
    Town Drunk

Mate, check out some of the air coolers. If you're going for an ATX tower, I would really recommend not getting the 120mm AIO liquid cooler. They really get out performed by air coolers, with a lower price and lower risk.

18. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

A good air cooler now is more then you need unless you are doing some serious overclocking.

19. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

I would swap that video card out for one of the new Nvidia ones coming out over the next month or so. The 3080 will better than the 2080Ti and much cheaper. Might be worth checking to ensure if the rest of the hardware can support PCIe 4.0, if you care enough about such things.

Or you could wait another 6 months and see if Nvidia starts making their own chips since they just acquired Arm.

But yeah, I agree, if your power supply and general ventilation is sufficient, you don't really need a crazy cooling system unless you are doing something that risks burning up your chip.

20. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast