Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Wish I knew what I know now

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Revengeofthenerds, Dec 29, 2017.

1. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

I got married young. Proposed at 20, she was 19. Married when I was 21. I was an idiot by all accounts and standards. She was too. In fact, many on this board called me out on it at the time and statistically they were right for doing so. But we grew up together. She had our first child at 24. Our second son is now 4 months. I made a lot of mistakes. Both of us did. A ton of them. But we learned a lot through fucking up. After all, mistakes are the only way you get experience.

I wish I spent more time with my eldest instead of thinking I could still go out and drink in my "free time." But I don't regret spending those first few years of marriage traveling -- Seattle is now our adopted home city, and if we didn't live in Texas, we would live there.

I regret that I got my degree in public speaking. Though it hasn't held me back professionally, fortunately, I do wish I went to a trade school for welding or electrical work or cooking. Something I was passionate about and that I'm proud of. My diploma is still in a box some ten plus years later.

I'm proud that I taught myself home repair. Welding, electrical work, plumbing, how to raise animals and how to homestead. Those are skills I hope to one day pass along to my children. I had to learn them, and now the real test is I have to pass them along

Focus: Hindsight. What didn't you know back then, that you realize is relevant now? How would that change your approach?

Alt. Focus
    : Every blind squirrel gets a nut once in a while. What would you do the same? What would you change? Where did it go wrong, and why?

2. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

I dont know if I would really change that much. Even the stuff that ended up being shitty help put me on the path to where I am now. Even when my wife and I first hooked up in college and then didnt talk for another 3 or 4 years, I dont know if I would change that either. I probably would have gotten more marketable degrees knowing whats in demand. But again, I really enjoyed studying what I did and I still ended up okay. So maybe not.

3. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

I would have gone for a fucking PRACTICAL college degree instead of thinking I might end up designing movie sets some day. Now that I have a practical one while graduating just before I hit 40, life has improved greatly for me.

Two decades wasted on doing the one thing you’re not supposed to do in the work field: NEVER trust your employer. If you don’t have a skill to fall back on— even when life seems great— you’ll be digging yourself out of the bottom on a very slippery slope with no prospects. A nightmare.

4. walt

walt
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I would have kept my shit together instead of pushing my marriage to the straining point 9 nine years ago. We got through it, now going on nearly 20 years and doing great. But it still happened, and I wish it didn't.

I sometimes kick myself for not going into my chosen profession. I'd be close to retirement if not retired by now with a good pension. But then again my life would have been so different in so many other ways I'm not sure I'd trade it if given the chance

5. bebop007

bebop007
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I wish I had pulled the trigger (pun.......sort of intended) on moving to Chicago from my hometown earlier than I did. Working for my dad was fine and all, but if I had a couple years more experience working in larger firms in Chicago I feel like my career path would be more established and I'd be doing a bit better than I am now. I can't complain too badly with where I am at given how things have turned out, but a good chunk of money extra each year with a bit more job stability certainly wouldn't hurt.

I wish I had developed a better mindset towards physical fitness earlier on in my life. For some reason, I carried this attitude that if I wasn't any good at sports than there was not point in engaging in any form of physical activity at all. Whatsoever. I've been able to change that over the past 6-7 years and have made some decent improvements. Much like the career point above, I'm more or less fine where I am at. I just wish I had made progress on that sooner than I did.

6. shimmered

shimmered
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

If I’d stayed army I’d be close to retirement. I don’t know if i would’ve thrived in the military but...being 40 and retired would be bad ass.

I wish I’d stopped and smelled the sweet baby smell of my older kids more, and appreciated their childhood more. I wish I’d been softer with my daughter.

I only slightly regret not going to college. I’d have hated that.

7. NatCH

NatCH
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I wish I’d come down to Nashville and actually pushed myself into the music business more. I’m fine with not being a hit songwriter, but I would’ve loved to get into session work as a bass player. It’s not too late I guess, but having a full time job keeps you from taking every quick opportunity.

Better yet, I wish I’d gone for the music production/engineering major at school.