Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Winter versus Summer Olympics

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by katokoch, Feb 23, 2010.

?

Which Olympics do you prefer?

1. Summer

115 vote(s)
    56.7%
  2. Winter

78 vote(s)
    38.4%
  3. I'm just here to fuck Chater

10 vote(s)
    4.9%
  1. Viking33

Viking33
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I think the Summer Olympics get a big boost from the addition of Rugby 7's in 2016. Since wrestling is already included, I'm a Summer fan. The big air and speed of the Winter Olympics is still awesome though.

2. Guy Fawkes

Guy Fawkes
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Summer>Winter

The women are hotter and more scantily clad and that's half the reason I watch the damn things.

Plus there are more watchable events in the summer. Besides hockey and some of the ski/snowboard events there isn't much I tune into in the winter.

3. Kratos

Kratos
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

It comes down to this: Do you want more crazy or better athletes? You have to be the best athlete to succeed in the summer games, you have to be the craziest to succeed in the winter games.*

*ok, I know this is a generalization and doesn't fit into events like the biathalon.

4. Frebis

Frebis
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The summer Olympics are plain and simple fucking boring. Come on- running, ping pong, swimming, soccer, wrestling...These sports are all boring as fuck and theya re all that is ever on.

Sure in the Winter Olympics I have to deal with 14 varieties of ice skating, but at least some of those chicks are hot. Unlike the ones that look like men with long hair from the summer games.

5. shegirl

shegirl
    Expand Collapse
    Redemption Seeking Whore

Otherwise known as Germans.

I enjoy both but agree with the trend here, winter trumps summer. I tried to watch curling the other day but god damn does that shit take forever and I don't understand the logic behind the strategy they were using. And why do they have to yell so loud? One of the ladies looked like she had a witches broom when it was her turn to "curl" (I guess that's the proper term. I'd call it sliding the rock). What's up with that?

Sidenote: The Sacks hackles are up today. Sweet!

6. Frebis

Frebis
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I thought this thread was about what we enjoy more. And you cannot tell me watching someone run in a straight line is 1/10 as exciting as boarder cross.

Until Usain Bolt decides to strap on a snowboard and do a 1260 degree rotation while flipping two or three times your argument is moot.

7. PoppaBear

PoppaBear
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Easy for me, I'm a runner, so Summer it is. I love watching all of the races....except the marathon. Not that.

8. Guy Fawkes

Guy Fawkes
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Exhibit A: (NSFW obviously)

Exhibit B: (NSFW obviously)

I point to Exhibit B and ask, "what's wrong with German women?"

9. ghettoastronaut

ghettoastronaut
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

They're corn brooms, and they're fucking oldschool is what they are. Except she doesn't actually sweep with them, so credibility lost.

Yeah, and what about those spoiled trustfund kids riding on horses or sailing yachts in the summer olympics? Or those brats with $9000 Perazzi over/under shotguns in the skeet shooting contest, or that Indian guy who won the country's first ever olympic gold medal in air rifle because his father built him an indoor air conditioned shooting range when he was a kid? You can get into a contest of "half-pipe vs. 100 m dash" and "curling vs. triathlon", but that runs out of gas real quick compared to "air rifle vs. 10,000 m speed skating" and "equestrian vs. alpine skiing".

Come to think of it, the one thing that's really pissing me off about the winter olympics is that because of the creation of female versions of sports that were until recently only contested by men (namely sliding sports and hockey), I can't fucking stand the female colour commentators that the TV stations have on. I can only imagine the athletes would feel really fucking condescended to hearing crap like "good girl!" and "smart play!" and "this is one tough girl!" for doing such basic things as getting up after taking a hit, not crashing their sled, and waiting until there's an open lane to the net to take a shot.

10. Rob4Broncos

Rob4Broncos
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I've always preferred the Summer games to the Winter games, primarily for three reasons:

1. I've never lived north of the Mason-Dixon line, and see snow about 3 days out of the year if I'm lucky. Other than hockey, I just can't relate to the Winter games on a personal level.

2. Someone mentioned earlier that the Summer events are just running, swimming, cycling, wrestling, etc. All of which are basic events that any human can do...which is EXACTLY why I find them so appealing. I don't know anyone who can clear 100 meters in under 10 seconds, so when those guys do, I stop and watch in wonder. I don't get as mesmerized watching a guy launch himself off a big ramp with skis and no sticks. Yeah, it's cool and pretty ballsy, but how much athleticism does that truly take?

3. Women's beach volleyball. Nom.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy a few of the Winter events. Hockey is a kickass sport. Speed skating is like sprinting on ice. I used to bowl all the time, so I can at least appreciate the precision of curling. But many others I just can't understand. Ice dancing? Go fuck yourself.

Yes, summer has yachting, rowing, skeet (hehe...skeet) shooting, and fucking horses. But winter also has figure skating, figure skating, and more goddamned figure skating. Let's agree to disagree there.

Just for fun: 20 Ideas For Making the Olympics Kick Way More Ass (I think this was linked on the RMMB, but I can't remember)

11. Bundy Bear

Bundy Bear
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Only thing i really enjoy at the winter games is the Ice Hockey whereas at the summer ones there is a lot I've grown up watching and enjoying such as swimming, field hockey and they will soon have rugby 7s as well.

12. Axel NL

Axel NL
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

You do realise that summer also has a very similar event in BMX right?

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzcaWX6_kj0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzcaWX6_kj0</a>

anyway, i voted for summer i like the events more mostly because i have not grown up with any of the winter sports and relate to them less. I do love to sit in front of the tv all day though to watch the olympics because sports are always exciting.

13. MoreCowbell

MoreCowbell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Honestly curling is like fucking hypontism. Every time I pass a television with curling on it, suddenly I'm wondering where the past hour went.

I think it's because it is such an inherently silly sport.

Are Olympic curlers professional athletes? That is, do they curl exclusively as a job? Or do they have side-jobs as janitors?

14. Muney

Muney
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I like Winter better. Reason being, I like the winter sports like hockey, snowboarding, skiing, curling (yes, I watch curling) and a couple others. The summer olympics, really the only thing I care to watch is Womens Beach Vollyball.

15. Supertramp

Supertramp
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Winter by far. I like to drink Molson Canadian have poutine and cheer on the canucks. It's like a black guy self-indulging in KFC, grits, watermelon and colt 45 (alt: grape drink). It's horribly stereotypical, but it's fucking awesome.

16. konatown

konatown
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Curling and Hockey rule. The Biathalon is ridiculous to perform in. The ski jumps are awesome. Luge, you can fucking die in that. Every sport seems to have more competition and danger. And Ice Dancing is not a sport and I have blocked that from my mind.

Summer Olympics are boring in comparison. Track and field? Not my cup of tea, even though I ran track for 8 years. Basketball? HAH, is there a worse professional sport?

17. scotchcrotch

scotchcrotch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

This shit is so biased.

With a board full of Canucks, how does Summer have a chance?

Winter is a short step down from the Special Olympics as you'd need an extra chromosome to think Curling is a sport.

18. ssycko

ssycko
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'll admit, I've always been a curling naysayer, but this year for whatever reason everytime it's on it turns into a heated discussion and people get really into it. Also, I've found that two things about curling are true:

1. Anyone who starts watching it immediately becomes an "expert" on curling.

2. At some point, something will happen that you at first will think is bad, but then see everyone in the stands going "YAYYAY" and being super excited (or vice versa) and you will be terribly confused.

That being said, I only give a shit about hockey.

19. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Yeah, summer events like the ten billion yard walk-race. THERE'S a fucking milestone in riveting atleticism. That, or watching jailbait twirl ribbons around like a priest's wet dream. I'm sweating those mad events for 2012 already.

20. JWags

JWags
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

And this is his ex-girlfriend...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Guess wearing feathers and spandex works.