Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Wine and Vinegar

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DrFrylock, Sep 27, 2010.

1. DrFrylock

DrFrylock
    Expand Collapse
    The White

Tonight I watched Close Encounters of the Third Kind on cable. I have seen it many times and own it on DVD. Goddamn is that a great movie. Holds up so, so well. The thing I love about Spielberg's early work is that about 10% of the stuff going on is not directly relevant to the plot, it's just ambience to show that this is real life. Today's tight-assed editors don't let anything onscreen that isn't absolutely necessary. Every extra is costumed and coiffed. Every line in the script has to contribute to the plot somehow or foreshadow something. It's too sterile. It helps that all the effects are practical and not CGI. CGI just looks too perfect. Maybe someday people will go retro and make movies like this again.

FOCUS: What bits of pop culture for you have aged well - like wine - or even surpassed their successors?

ANTI-FOCUS: What pop culture has aged like vinegar?

2. Disgustipated

Disgustipated
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

FOCUS and ANTI-FOCUS: Transformers. Of itself, it's still as loved and relevant (such that it is) as it ever was. Given a choice of everything, my three year old will choose Transformers - the original tv series - to watch 9 times out 10. Unfortunately, the icons have been hijacked by white trash around here. In the past week I've seen a few cars doing the rounds with Autobot or Decepticon symbols on them. And I even saw a young trailer trash whale saunter into the supermarket the other day with a large Autobot symbol tattooed on the back of her leg.

It's sacrilege. I almost wanted to grab her by the scruff of her neck and demand she transform, otherwise I'd take a knife to her leg and carve it out.

3. lostalldoubt86

lostalldoubt86
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Say what you will about Paul Reuban, Pee-Wee's Playhouse has aged really well. It's doing really well on the stage. It's been 24 years since it premiered on CBS, and Pee-Wee is relevant in pop culture.

4. audreymonroe

audreymonroe
    Expand Collapse
    The most powerful cervix... in the world...

Movies from the forties and fifties (for an artistic sake, the early sixties counts as the fifties). They're just so flawless (minus the bits of racism and sexism here and there, but hey). They're well-made, tell good stories, have great actors, and are pretty to look at. There are maybe one or two movies that come out each year nowadays that come anywhere close. And the worst part is that if they are good, they're so self-conscious about being A Good Film that it makes it annoying to watch anyway. Those movies were just so effortlessly entertaining.

I was just watching Some Like It Hot last night, and I was laughing more than at any new comedy in the past few years, and I must've seen it a dozen times by now. It was such a great balance of humor (and all different kinds of humor), thrills and sexiness.

Not to mention Witness For The Prosecution, Casablanca, Double Indemnity, His Girl Friday (this might be from the thirties, that's fine), Roman Holiday, The African Queen, The Waterfront... I could go on and on. Don't get me wrong, I still love movies that are less than sixty years old, but from an objective viewpoint, the quality has just gone down.

5. Dr. Gonzo Esquire

Dr. Gonzo Esquire
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Focus: Steve McQueen would have been about 80 by now and he's still cooler than me, you, 90% of men in the world. His movies are just as awesome today as they were 30 years ago.

6. c_norris

c_norris
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

80s new wave has aged well.

Hair metal, not so much.

[​IMG]

7. Maltob14

Maltob14
    Expand Collapse
    Space Cadet

From this

to this

It's aged like a fine Château Margaux n'est-ce pas?

#7 Maltob14, Sep 27, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
  8. toddus

toddus
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

You do know vingear ages incredibly well right? Balsamic for example gets more expensive over time.

9. mad5427

mad5427
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Any 80's movie that focuses on technology is pretty bad today. Anytime I see green text on a small rounded screen and hear some bee-boop bee-boop and crazy stuff happens, it makes me laugh.

This is slightly off topic, but I saw the preview for the new Tron and it looked pretty cool. I haven't seen the original in a very long time and wonder if it is as good now as it was when I was young.

Saw Goonies recently and it's just as awesome as it's always been.

10. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Aged Well:

Regularly scheduled vagina maintanence
    Smoking weed. Only cool people do it now.
    Richard Pryor stand-up. His delivery is still too perfect for words.
    Sharon Stone

Not So Well:

Bow Wow-Wow
    Skinny piano keys ties
    Knicks fans
    That thing when hippes put flowers in soldier's gun barrells
    New York Yankees' disgusting poseur popularity boom
    Reebok Pumps (actually, FUCK that. they're awesome.)

11. Disgustipated

Disgustipated
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Except those ones they brought out that needed the compressed air in an obvious grab for more dollars. Fuck you corporate whores.

12. BL1Y

BL1Y
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Focus: Americana, especially old advertisements (the type of shit they go crazy for on American Pickers). It seems like people used to put some artistry into ads, and it blows away the fast-food style new-ad-every-week shit we get now.

Anti-Focus: Barack Obama. :-D And also certain sitcoms, like Home Improvement, Saved by the Bell, and Friends. For how massively successful these shows were, they weren't funny. Watching re-runs, the jokes are predictable, unclever, and sometimes jokes people had been telling for years before the episode aired.

I think the idea is that when wine goes bad, it turns into vinegar, and while some vinegars are great, it's generally a bad transition. Also, a lot of wines don't age well, and only have a shelf life of a couple years.

13. DrFrylock

DrFrylock
    Expand Collapse
    The White

Yeah, that. Ask Marsellus Wallace about it. Fuck, I was typing this shit on my iPhone in the middle of the night.