Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Why I cheer for this team

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Mike Ness, Dec 15, 2010.

1. JGold

JGold
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Good thread. It pisses me off when people -- hilariously LeBron James is one of them -- just cheer for teams because they're good. Oh, you're a Red Sox, Steelers, Red Wings and Lakers fan? Go fuck yourself. (FYI- LeBron likes the Cowboys, Ohio State and the Yankees.)

Football: Carolina Panthers. The franchise started about the same year my family moved to Charlotte as a youngster. We had season tickets in high school. This is my No. 1 sports team, and no matter what (including inevitable 1-15 seasons), I will bleed black and blue.

College Basketball: Being from NC, this is my second favorite sport. I can't actively cheer for anyone but my alma mater, UNC-Wilmington, but I like watching Florida and UNC play.

Baseball: I kind of always pulled for the Florida Marlins by default, as I lived in south Florida before moving to NC in third grade, and NC doesn't have a baseball team. I relocated to Denver this summer, though, and promised myself I'd adopt one local team. That's the Rockies.

College Football: Florida Gators. I feel like shit, because being a fan of a team for a poor reason takes the soul out of sports. But I was young, I was living in Florida, the Gators were good, and I've been a fan ever since.

NBA: Charlotte Bobcats. I loved, loved, LOVED the Hornets growing up. So at first I said fuck the NBA. But more and more each year, the Bobcats grow on me. They're my hometown team and I can't root for anyone over them.

Hockey: Carolina Hurricanes. The only NC professional sports team that has brought home a championship, and the only one that has a chance to do so again in the foreseeable future.

Soccer: I studied abroad in Manchester. I should be able to like Man U, but I can't. I fucking hate dynasties like Man U, the Yankees, etc. I don't have a European club, to be honest, but I love watching EPL and UEFA football. I try not to miss matches involving the Colorado Rapids or U.S. Men's National Team.

2. LucasJackson

LucasJackson
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Teams I love

Detroit Red Wings Primarily between 1995-2004, just before the lockout. The city may suck, but we'll always have the Red Wings. I was so steaming mad with the NHL and that bullshit strike that I had to work my way back into watching hockey again when the Wings won the cup in 2008. I loved that year, mostly because it coincided with my graduation from college and subsequent move to Aspen. When they lost to the Pens in the rematch the next year in Game 7, I sulked for weeks. Still one of the top 5 worse losses I've been through as a fan.

Michigan State Spartans It's not easy staying faithful to these guys; we've lived in the shadow of a much better football program - not to mention hugely arrogant fans - for decades, and the nature by which Michigan State blows games truly puts your sense of self-worth at risk. Read up on some past matches; Notre Dame in 2006, Michigan in 2004, Ohio State in 2005, Purdue 1997, Northwestern 2001, and just imagine the heartache it puts you under.

Fourth generation Spartan though, two generations of grandparents met and married at Michigan State, my grandpa played football for Biggie Munn in the 50s, my Aunt and Uncle are both alumni; I was pretty much indoctrinated to wield an unyielding love for the green and white since birth.

I've been to Georgia and Florida State, had fun at both places, so I guess I root for them. Not really a fan of the NBA or baseball, but I still root for the Pistons and Tigers, just without much enthusiasm. And I'm so done with the Lions that they could win the Superbowl next year and I probably wouldn't care.

Teams I Hate

Notre Dame Goes without saying

Michigan I could go on and on about these guys, but I won't. Their handling of the erosion of their football program has slowly started to reverse a lifetime of enduring what can be rightfully called every shade of arrogance on earth. They've put me through so much pain over the years in so many different ways that I can only lavish in their downward spiral.

Subsequently, it's why I hate The Patriots, not just because they win, but because Tom Brady went to Michigan. I hate the Yankees, Duke, USC, and John Calipari - though not a team - just out of principle.

3. rei

rei
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

MLB: Toronto Blue Jays. I don't actually care enough about baseball any more to truly get invested, but I'm not going to talk shit about the only team to bring Toronto any kind of championship in the last 40 years. Plus tickets are really cheap and while the Jay's arent a stellar team, it can still be fun to go ut and see them

NHL: Montreal Canadiens. And I live in a rival city too. My aunts and uncles got it into my blood early, though my grandfather almost disowned me (He worked as an usher at the Gardens during two Leafs cups) - meeting Saku Koivu when I was 7 and he was just starting his professional career helped a lot - I followed him initially, and then just began loving the franchise, the history, the works. I know this skirts the line of your "Far flung city shouldn't be a fan" criticism but the Habs get as much media attention as the Leafs do, and I'd rather stick to my guns and be loyal to the team I still love than jump ship just because I live in Toronto. Sure I deserve heckling, but I'm not a sellout either. [and no, the Leafs' failures aren't the reason I ignore them - being a habs fan in the late 90s was no parade either.]

4. shabamon

shabamon
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

There are really only two teams I follow with any regularity (the NFL season is making me realize that I am fairweather when it comes to the Bengals). I am a diehard fan of Ohio University football and men's basketball. I graduated from there in 2008 and I feel that a lot of OU alumni have a great affinity towards the university. There's just a quiet energy about the place. The Athens, OH area is a blend of youthful exuberance from the students and Appalachian culture. The campus is surrounded by the foothills of the Appalachian Mountains, which creates a great scenery year-round. The warmer months beckon you to be outside, creating a great community among the students. As a friend of mine told me once, the sports teams are special because the school is special, not the other way around.

Cheering for a mid-major with limited resources ($) is sometimes nervewracking, and manic depressive. The football and basketball teams can beat up on Bowling Green, Buffalo, and Miami, but then get blown out by Ohio State or Kansas. However, every once in a while, we pull off the big win against one of the big boys. Since I've been paying attention to the Bobcats, the football team beat Pitt in Frank Solich's home debut and the basketball team beat UNC in Chapel Hill, beat Maryland in the Comcast Center, and of course, beat Georgetown in the NCAA tournament, the largest margin of victory from a 14 seed beating a 3 seed. When these wins happen, the feeling is untouchable. I doubt Duke or Florida fans can even match the feeling when they win national championships.

5. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Well there are other factors that made me fall in love with the Patriots. Bill Belichick being an asshole is one of them. He is not like any other coach out there right now. No suits, no ties, but he's all business and isn't one of the "I'm going to look like x, so you think I'm y." Also Tom Brady, at the beginning of the game, I shit myself because they sat there and talked about how this guy barely played, was a 6th round draft pick and was a nobody. He came out and said fuck you to all the people that never played him. I know he'd never, but if he went to the H.O.F. and did an MJ, I'd give him a standing applause in my living room.

Also, let me ask you this. What is the benefit for a fan base to limit who joins them in rooting for their team? Especially if that person isn't converting from one team to another, they are entering the sport as a whole? I knew nothing about football, and it took me two years of watching and (of Madden) to learn football.

The Bears did nothing in 2002-2004 to inspire any interest in football and there was NO ONE in my life that I knew that said "Hey, let's watch the Bears." There were too many video games, too many snowball fights, and too much money to make on going out snow shovelling to sit down on a Sunday and watch a sport I knew nothing about, and a bad team. Let me also toss in that I went to church from birth to the age of 18, leaving home at 8:30am and not returning until 5pm.

Bill Simmons has been talking about this odd fandom phenomenon now that he is jumping on some Soccer bandwagon because the Red Sox owners bought them. What is the benefit of a current fan base wanting to stay exclusive instead of inviting people in to root for their team and teaching them how to do it properly? Would you have more members of your faction or more members of the enemy faction? Really interesting thing to look into and discuss.

6. barney

barney
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

I was born and raised in Australia. I started taking an interest in NFL in 1995. Australia didn't get a lot of NFL coverage on TV....we used to get a 90 minute show on the ABC hosted by an ex-pat american called Don Lane, on monday nights.

We'd get a time edited package of the best game of the week which lasted about 60 minutes, and then for the last 30 minutes we'd get an extended high-lights package of all the other games, plus some NFL news from various panel experts of that time. My buddies were really into it, and that's how I started watching....we'd all get together on monday nights and watch the game/drink.

1995 was the first full season of games I followed. I initially started cheering for Miami, because I liked playing with that team on Madden, but I ended up cheering for the colts, because I liked the way Jim Harbaugh played. There were 2 games that year, against the Jets and against Miami where the colts fell behind by 21 points, and Harbaugh brought them back to win in both games. Then they made the playoffs, and won 2 games as extreme underdogs - even with Marshall Faulk injured - and then they had the heart breaking loss in the AFC championship game against Pittsburgh, where Harbaugh threw up the Hail Mary in the final seconds, and Aaron Bailey dropped it in the endzone...it landed right in his gut as he hit the turf, and he let it roll out onto the ground. I'm sure you've all seen the high-light.

So that was where it started, and I've just followed them ever since. I guess I don't feel as strongly as other Indy fans, because I never suffered through the bad times. Since I've cheered for them, they've only had 3 losing seasons and missed the playoffs 3 times in 15 years, so I really don't know what it's like to suffer a shitty team like fans of other teams have had to endure. But i'm sure that time is coming eventually....Manning can't play forever.

7. JWags

JWags
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Awesome thread. I'll admit that I'm pretty salty when it comes to annoying bandwagon fans and weak affiliations. If you've stuck with them forever, sometimes you can get grandfathered in, but my roommate for example likes the Red Sox, Notre Dame Football, and the Pittsburgh Penguins. He is only diehard about the Penguins and only started rooting for them when they had Lemiuex and Jagr. He has followed them ever since, but the root of his fanship was being a damn front runner. He also has a decent amount of Ohio State gear so he can go to the bar and fit in with our friends who are huge fans. I also think that is queer.

Onto the focus:
    NFL-Chicago Bears I grew up in Milwaukee, which means most people automatically assume I like the Packers. However, growing up, I had 2 older cousins I idolized. Both grew up in Chicago and their dad was a Chicago cop. But my bitch aunt divorced him and moved them back to WI, but their allegiances stayed and rubbed off on me. Also, when I was little, I hated my Dad freaking out about Packers games and being a royal terror if they lost, so the Bears fanship took hold a bit more. And in reality, Milwaukee is closer mileage wise to Chicago than GB anyways. I really grew strong as the Packers excelled in the mid 90s and the Bears got fucking Cade McNown. That asshole. I also root for the Colts secondarily cause I was born and lived 3 years in Indy, but Bears are far and away #1.

MLB-Chicago Cubs This is a combination of aforementioned cousins and the fact that I watched them all summer on WGN. My family didn't care about baseball really, so I never got into the Brewers, so I was a Cubs fan since I was little. There is a picture of me in a signed Andre Dawson t shirt from when I was real little I use to say fuck you to anyone who accuses me of being a bandwagon Cubs fan now that I live in Chicago. Its fun to be a Cubs fan in the summer in Chicago, but it was rough most of the rest of my life.

NHL-Chicago Blackhawks A theme is emerging. But also, Milwaukee doesnt have a hockey team, I actually followed them on my own growing up. The run to the Stanley Cup and the subsequent parade last year was one of the most satisfying sports experiences of my life.

NBA-Milwaukee Bucks Only Wisconsin pro team I pull for. Ray Allen still is one of my favorite players and the Bucks got to be a bit of a power for a bit when I was in middle school and high school. Hopefully Jennings and Bogut can bring that back.

College BB- Marquette This is probably far and away the team I am most passionate about. My dad, my grandparents, assorted other relatives all went there and we've had season tix since we moved back from Indy when I was 3. I grew up on it. I absolutely despise UW sports as a result of feelings going back to when I was tiny rooting for Marquette. My uncle is a booster, I had lunch with Dwyane Wade when he was an unknown, academically ineligible freshman. During the 2003 Final Four run, I had people I didn't know at my HS coming up and congratulating me cause I became known as the huge Marquette fan and the fact that I wore my Diener jersey almost every day during that stretch. Still the only sports team I have ever cried about. I also root for Miami (OH) cause its my alma mater, but its just not the same level of competition and its been a decade since Wally led us to the Sweet 16. Still went to 90% of home games when I was there.

College FB- Miami (OH) and others This is harder. Growing up, I didn't have a real team, I hated UW and ND, but didn't really have an affiliation as neither of my parents had alma maters with FB teams. I started rooting for Colorado cause my cousins lived in Boulder and I loved the colors/logo and the ever since I was 5-6, Ive pulled for Tennessee. Don't ask me why, but I guess I loved Rocky Top and my mom would hear me humming it all over the house. I follow them, but I'm not gonna get into arguments or claim to be some huge fan, its just to keep me interested in a sport I love. Miami, again, my alma mater. My freshman year of college was the year Roethlisberger went nuts and we went 11-1 and finished #10 in the polls. That was surreal. Never having a football team and then being thrust into that was amazing. Unfortunately, our next coach (fuck you Shane Montgomery) ran the program into the ground and its taken awhile to get back up. Unfortunately, Haywood turned the program around and then ran off to Pitt, so its time for another damn coaching search. Regardless, its still MAC football and these days thats like being a second class citizen. Its hard to root for a team you know has no chance at a national championship. Sure Boise and TCU have made mid major runs but Boise is a big state university and TCU is an affluent private school, Miami is a great state school which unfortunately shares a state with tOSU and about 5 other D-1 programs sucking resources. But we are bowl bound in Mobile. Go Redhawks!

8. KIMaster

KIMaster
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Dude. You're from Chicago and you root for the New England Patriots and Los Angeles Lakers. Just admit that you're a front-runner and stop coming up with these convoluted excuses and reasons.

Funny you quote Bill Simmons, because he had an entire column about sports bigamists where he mocks and insults people like yourself. In fact, his views on the matter are way more extreme than my own or Mike's.

And by the way, the point Bill was making about soccer was about an exclusive, underground sport, not a team. Simmons has constantly mentioned how much he hates Red Sox bandwagon fans.

And it doesn't get much more bandwagon than a Chicago guy rooting for the Lakers and Patriots.

9. Mike Ness

Mike Ness
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Except for every true fan that sticks with them through thick and thin, getting through the hard seasons is part of being a true fan.

My guess is everyone over ten was probably still watching football, and making their kids shovel the driveway.

What Mass did you attend? Good lord. Anyway you could still read about them, sneak them on a radio ect.

You listed all these reasons why you like the Pats but honestly I could probably apply things like that to many teams in football.

EXAMPLE: I'm a huge Colt fan and I live in LA. I just always loved Peyton Manning and when he won his MVP's he showed the league just how amazing he was. That and I crushed all my boys in madden because he had a 94 accuracy rating. How could you not have liked Tony Dungy? The guy was all class, he showed everyone you don't have to yell and scream to be a good coach.

The reason I wouldn't want you cheering for my team is this "The Bears did nothing in 2002-2004 to inspire any interest in football" I don't want a guy who routes for a team only when they are good. That by definition is a front runner. You are a Patriot fan because arguably they are the best team in the past ten years, year in and year out. If the 2002-2004 Pats were lousy you would not have watched them, therefore would not be a fan. Again this is my opinion but stuff like that just bugs me.

10. theillest

theillest
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

NBA My favourite sport, but the only one where I don't really have a team. Being Canadian I half-heartedly cheer for the Raptors. The reason is I am a die-hard Iverson fan, him being my fave athlete, by far, ever. Was a 76ers fan for the years he was there but have no allegiance to them anymore. I was 11 or 12 when AI was rookie, and being a little guy myself, the way he played was incredible to me.

NFL Eagles. Grew up in Winnipeg where most people are Vikings fans due to geographic proximity I guess, but I am prone to playing devil's advocate, so maybe I just didn't like being like everyone else. I honestly don't know why I like Philly. I think it's because I liked their uniforms when I was little, green being my favourite colour. I also started liking them when they were terrible, so front-runner status is not applicable in this case. Loving the Vick resurgence this year.

NHL Jets, but they left and even before that I was more partial to the Bruins. This was not my choice. My mom's family is from Halifax on the east coast where you're either a Bruins (closest by distance) or Habs (closest Canadian) fan. Her family have been Bruins fans for generations as far as I know, and when I was 5 or 6, the B's were playing the Oilers in the Cup final while my maternal grandparents were visiting. I was thus immediately indoctrinated to bleed black and gold, and was a mighty sad young'n when we lost. Orr is a God in my family, I'm too young to have watched him, Neely is my B's hero.

MLB Expos. (/shakes head) Now half-heartedly cheer for the Jays, but meh.

Soccer Barcelona. Love the panache they play with and was a huge Rivaldo fan when I was younger. It does not suck to support this team.

NCAA NC State. Lived in Raleigh for 2 years as a small child, my dad was working at NC State at the time. The first team I supported. Really gut-wrenching finish to the football season, coulda been the BCS rep from the ACC if not for Maryland upsetting us in the last game. First year I really followed them in football, because the glory years in basketball are long gone, but got a good class coming in this season.

From this list you could infer I'm a sports bigamist, but really I live where there are no pro teams and have supported these teams consistently without waiver for 15-20+ years so suck it.

11. shabamon

shabamon
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Forgot to add Troy at the end.

12. iczorro

iczorro
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

No one has answered me except via rep. Why does cheering for two teams (in opposite leagues) rile so many people up?

Do they feel like we're cheating, aka "if team A doesn't make it, at least I have team B..."?

I genuinely care about every team I root for. I just lived in multiple locations, each for a long time...

13. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Read the stories. "Real fans" are tied to their teams as a part of their identity. Also their families are closely tied to all of the above. So there is more than just analysis and love of the sport there. It's the memories and associations with it. Look at how their relationships have been established through the sports.

Now, unfortunately, not all of us had those experiences. And everyone keeps talking about what I said about the Bears saying I didn't like them when they were bad. Let me be clear, I didn't watch the regular season until 2005-2006. I only watched Superbowls, not even playoffs. Once again, no one around me watched. And from 2002-2004, its not that I just didn't watch the Bears, I didn't watch the NFL at fucking all. I'm a new fan to the sport in relation to all the "I grew up with my mom, dad, cousin, uncle, yadda yadda yadda." I could call 7 people in my family now that couldn't name one player on any Chicago team. So I am a different kind of fan.

Also, I'm a Bulls fan primarily, I defended Vinny Del Negro and liked Kirk Hinrich, but I do watch Lakers games and when they're not playing the Bulls and winning I follow them because of Phil and the fact Kobe is an amazing player to watch. Now if you want to discount all of these reasons as fake or unauthentic enjoy yourself. Understand where you are coming from first and stop and ask yourself "If no one in my childhood watched sports, knew nothing about them, or taught me when I was an impressionable child to love a team, where would I be?"

Then if that doesn't work for you, then you can enjoy calling people front-runners. I will still watch MY teams and be entertained because that's the fucking point. Unless you were trained to like a team, you're going to like who you like.

14. palmettosc

palmettosc
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I'll just leave it at that.

15. Mike Ness

Mike Ness
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

If you lived in multiple locations it makes sense, that is where the passion comes from.

I do think it is rare for am adult (kids love to list their favorite teams in order) to have two teams that he passionately routes for. I have always followed players but I wouldn't be upset if their team lost. I also would never cheer for their team against the Eagles.

The problem comes more from why do you like the particular team.

You will find that most people who have another favorite team other than their home city cheer for a big time winner. If you can find me a guy who lives in Tampa Bay and cheers for them and his second favorite team is the Lions I'd be surprised. It seems to me 90% of the guys who have two teams have their home city and the Lakers, Pats, Yankees, RedSox and I'm sure we are going to have a flood of young Heat fans pretty soon.

If you lived in a city for a long enough time you develop a bond with people in the city and start to route for the team. The point of this thread where the guys who seemed to like teams for no particular reason.

16. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Call me crazy, but I'm not into any big sports or their teams.

Really, I could care less.

Sure, I'll jump on the national bandwagon during international play, like the Olympics or something, but other than that, I don't follow any of the major sports.

I tend to follow (and root for) a couple of race teams in some auto racing series (non-Nascar, like F1, ALMS, DTM), and a few individuals in other sports, like Pete McLeod in the Red Bull Air Races. (He's from my home town of London, Ontario, I've met him a few times, and am jealous as hell over what he's doing).

I just don't get the guys that live and breathe this stuff, like in The League. But whatever... to each their own.

17. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

As you can see from under my avatar, Im from Connecticut. This means I root for:

NBA: Celtics.

MLB: Red Sox. I was a Sox fan way before they won the series in 2004 and any championship talk was based around them blowing it in '86. I see a lot of people here hate the Sox not because of the team but because of the fans? Thats a little abstract, but I get it. Most Sox and Pats fans are annoying as hell.

NFL: Patriots AND Steelers. Why the Steelers? Up until October, I have a cousin who played Tight End for them (he was recently cut). So although I have always been a die hard Pats fan, I usually rooted for whatever team he was playing for at the time.

Soccer is boring as hell and I dont watch it, even during the World Cup. Id rather claw my fucking eyes out then watch a soccer game.

As for college teams: I root for UConn, my alma mater all the way.

18. Trakiel

Trakiel
    Expand Collapse
    Call me Caitlyn. Got any cake?

I think passion is a key thing here. I'm from Minnesota so I consider myself a fan of the local teams, but not each to an equal degree. I love the Vikings and Twins the most, since I like football and baseball the most. I consider myself a dedicated fan of both teams, since I always follow them through good times and bad.

Then there's the Timberwolves. Since Minnesota didn't have a pro team for so long I never really developed an interest in basketball until they drafted KG. Once it was apparent that he was going to be a superstar I started paying more attention to the Wolves, but still only in a fairweather-fan sense. I followed them semi-diligently during their run of playoff appearances (again mostly because of KG) but honestly once he was traded I've mostly stopped caring about them and have found myself quietly rooting for the Celtics. Once he retires I'll stop caring about the Celtics, but until then I'd honestly rather watch a Celtics game than a Wolves game. I don't know if that makes me a front-runner or bandwagoneer, but I can tell you that Randy Moss is one of my all time favorite Vikings - hell I'm still upset that they traded him to the Raiders - but at no time ever did I care about the Raiders (or Pats) when he played for them.

Alt Focus: I only really hate two other teams, the Yankees and the Packers. I hate the Yankees because they always own the Twins, to the point where I swear the Twins have a complex about the Yankees. But it's a petty, bitter hatred brought on by their recent dominance. If the Twins reversed the trend and started owning the Yankees, I probably wouldn't hate them anymore.

On the other hand, my hatred of the Packers is total and absolute. I'll say no more to avoid going on an extended rant about my hatred for the Packers.

19. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Sorry that we can actually win championships. It must be painful to watch the vikings choke every time they make the post season.

I always found it odd that every NFC north team considers us their biggest rival. Why is there no vikings bears bad blood? Or lions/vikings/bears when the lions aren't sucking so hard?

20. Trakiel

Trakiel
    Expand Collapse
    Call me Caitlyn. Got any cake?

Well Wisconsin borders both Minnesota and Illinois, so it makes sense from that perspective that both the Bears and Vikes consider the Packers their primary rivals. The other thing is that Packer fans are the most smug, obnoxious, douchebag pricks in existance, which amplifies the hatred. (I mean seriously, "we", "us"? You're actually on the team too Kampf?)