Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Why do I live here again?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dmix3, Aug 11, 2010.

1. Solaris

Solaris
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I live in Belfast, Ireland. Truly wonderful place to live. Great bars, plenty of craic and the Guinness is always flowing cold and fresh. Everyone always asks about the catholic protestant thing and since the end of the 'troubles', it's still as strong as ever. However there's never any violence between the two, just you very rarely mix with the other side outside of the workplace and even then, usually all the prods go to one party after work and the taigs to another (I work in a bar).

It's very good fun, the Drink Licence laws are a little stricter than in the UK, but looser than the rest of Ireland. Although I say the troubles are over, there's usually a bomb every 2 weeks or so by some dissident republican group, it's exciting to hear it and then stay up on twitter all night learning what happened. However when a soldier or cop is killed, the whole town goes on edge and there's talk of loyalist reprisals (which there haven't been thank god).

A comedian once wrote that Belfasts biggest industry is the production of IRA's, which is somewhat true. Just a year ago we had the RIRA, CIRA, ONH and INLA all active around the province. Whilst occasionally worrying, it does give some excitement to the place without much danger to yourself personally.

To anyone thinking of visiting, I'd say go for it, there's no where like it in the world. The characters you meet, the variety of bars with ceili sessions (traditional music) and the history to the place really make it a lovely town. And the Irish girls are amazing too, just lovely. God Save Ireland.

2. Psk

Psk
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I don't know why I still live in this country:

- Red-Green opposition will demand that the US dismantles its foreign bases and decommissions its nuclear weapons (if they win)
    <a class="postlink" href="http://www.thelocal.se/26850/20100525/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.thelocal.se/26850/20100525/</a>

- Red-Green politician explains that if you can't afford to pay your property taxes, just take a loan on your house! (can't find english link)

- Red-Green politician holds a speech about how all public toilets should be "gender neutral" (ditto)

Seriously? The fact that they currently have 46% of the votes scares me.

3. BL1Y

BL1Y
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The most shittingest eatingest grin ever:

#23 BL1Y, Aug 14, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
  4. thatone

thatone
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Our country is so boring and general population so ignorant that a US political issue automatically becomes one here.

5. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

http://news.yahoo.com/s/time/20100818/us_time/08599201150900

Just ran across this article. Normally Ill defend the Nasty Nati but bed bugs? Gaaaaggh! Normally it you only hear about it happening in shitty areas, like OTR or Clifton where I went to school for 6 years. Ive never had a case of them in any place Ive lived, did have roaches once ughh. Firestations for some reason have big problem with them here and end up just burning the furniture themselves. Everyone else blames the problem on the Mexicans. Bill Cunningham on 700 wlw was having people call in and tell listeners how to legally obtain propoxur for home use a week or so before I left.

6. Sicnevol

Sicnevol
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

My hometown was the location of this Cluster fuck.

[​IMG]

Good Ole' Muncie Indiana.

I think that's plenty.

7. Veovis

Veovis
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

(at this point I accept if a 1 day posting ban occurs.......I have rambly drunk face....sorry...kinda)

SGEDIT: No ban just stop drunk posting, if you don't then the ban.

8. konatown

konatown
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Oh you forgot the granddaddy of all Alabama politicians, Alvin Holmes. Milluh. Cuuurhs.:

#28 konatown, Aug 21, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
  9. BL1Y

BL1Y
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Oh my God, I can't believe I haven't heard this. I'm a member of Free the Hops and was a volunteer at brew fest this year (working the Boulevard booth).

10. ex Animo

ex Animo
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Bike Parties:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Hipsters:
    http://www.latfh.com/; As far as I know, they could all be from the Bay Area. It wouldn't be that far of a stretch.

And for some reason, this shit is getting REALLY popular here.
    [​IMG]

Fucking terrible. Ohio, keep your Four Loko, assholes.

Thank you, San Jose, CA. I can't wait to move.

11. Bird

Bird
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Just thought for accuracy's sake that I'd point out here that "than in the UK" is simply misleading here since Northern Ireland, regardless of your political leanings, is what makes the 'United Kingdom' of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, and the "rest of Ireland" is a different country.

And since I know (at least I think I do) that this board forbids too much political baiting, all I can say is that your post is absurd - nothing like a good dissident bomb to make things exciting (after all, it won't be you getting killed!)