Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Whistle While You Twerk

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nom Chompsky, Mar 25, 2013.

?

How Many Hours Do You Work? What's Your Salary? (Choose 2)

1. 0-15 Hours Per Week

7 vote(s)
    4.2%
  2. 15-30 Hours Per Week

10 vote(s)
    6.0%
  3. 30-40 Hours Per Week

39 vote(s)
    23.2%
  4. 40-50 Hours Per Week

79 vote(s)
    47.0%
  5. 50-60 Hours Per Week

19 vote(s)
    11.3%
  6. 60-70 Hours Per Week

8 vote(s)
    4.8%
  7. 70+ Hours Per Week

6 vote(s)
    3.6%
  8. 0-20K Per Annum

19 vote(s)
    11.3%
  9. 20-35K Per Annum

26 vote(s)
    15.5%
  10. 35-50K Per Annum

33 vote(s)
    19.6%
  11. 50-65K Per Annum

27 vote(s)
    16.1%
  12. 65-80K Per Annum

27 vote(s)
    16.1%
  13. 80-100K Per Annum

19 vote(s)
    11.3%
  14. 100K+ Per Annum

14 vote(s)
    8.3%
  15. 300K+ Per Annum

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Hoosiermess

Hoosiermess
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Since I took over the company in September, when Dad died, I average in the 50-60 hr/wk range but month end, year end, and trade show weeks I can top 80 hours pretty easily. I pay myself about 34 K a year in salary and make up about that in sales bonuses. If I do my job well, the company should be doing well and then I get paid.

Personally I'd like to cut back hours but its a small place and people are shit heels. If I'm not here they seem to lose motivation and I haven't been able to give teeth to an office manager yet. That said ideally I won't be in the office that many hours in the future. I need to pick up another local (read state of Indiana) salesman so I'm free to travel the rest of our territory and expand it. If I could stay around 40-50 hours and not constantly get calls/texts from customers/vendors/employees I'd feel a bit better about my life.

2. gamecocks

gamecocks
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

He got it right from the one on the corner of Saluda and Blossom. Unless there happens to be one in that scary part of town I don't drive in.

3. ghettoastronaut

ghettoastronaut
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

look, chompsky, what I'm trying to say is that other people blow me for crack, not the other way round. Also, I owe you some crack for last time.

4. Nom Chompsky

Nom Chompsky
    Expand Collapse
    Honorary TiBette

I believe the term you're looking for is "rusty trombone."

5. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Oh right, like crack is that difficult to make. You do it once, you do it a thousand times it's all just wonderful, wonderful crack in the end.

Now meth is more of a challenge, and being engulfed in flames can be somewhat of a health hazard.

6. Nom Chompsky

Nom Chompsky
    Expand Collapse
    Honorary TiBette

[​IMG]

7. McSmallstuff

McSmallstuff
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Soooooooo......was there a focus to this thread at one point?

8. Nom Chompsky

Nom Chompsky
    Expand Collapse
    Honorary TiBette

So what sort of hours do you work?

9. McSmallstuff

McSmallstuff
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm a full time student and parent, so as far as actual billable work goes, I don't do it right now. I'm contributing the leftovers from grants and loans financially, my girlfriend is the one with the job right now. I'm taking 13 credit hours this semester and put in roughly 4-5 hours a week of homework time. The rest of my time is spent cooking, parenting, and cleaning when the mood strikes. Basically I'm a stereotypical stay at home parent who happens to go to school.

10. walt

walt
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

When I was a paramedic I worked 60 hours one week and 75 the next scheduled. That did not take into account extra shifts or late calls. Eventually I realized I worked my twenties away and said fuck all that.

I now work about 35 hours a week in a private medical practice. I dont make much, ( 26k ) but my wife makes a shit ton of money so it works for us.

Edit: I also am a part time musician as well as run a small farm so I make a couple extra grand a year there, but I dont really consider that "work".

11. toejam

toejam
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I work in commercial real estate, and kind of lied in the other thread when I said I worked hard. I would gladly spend more time in the office than I do, but I tend to finish what I need to in a very reasonable number of hours. Our business is picking up quite a bit, though, and that could change quickly. I would be thrilled if we started getting crushed like they supposedly did in the boom years. As long as Ben Bernanke keeps the cheap money flowing things should continue to get busier, so we'll just have to see what the future brings.

I'm in the office from sometime between 8:30-9:00 until 6:00 most days. Sometimes I work past 7:00, or go in for a few hours on the weekend, but that is rare. Although the company paid me $75k last year, my job is heavily bonus dependent. I am the most junior person on my team and not actually in control of production, which more or less determines my bonus. I could potentially be paid less next year, and that would suck. Of course, I could also potentially be paid more, and that would not suck.

12. Cult

Cult
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

50-60 hours per week assuming I don't work at least one day on the weekend which I do at least once a month. Assuming I do work that weekend could be between 60 and 70 hours. I think I made $22k after taxes last year. I work a an airplane mechanic for the Chair Force. Fortunately Uncle Sam pays for my rent and I get to eat for free at a chow hall, plus plenty of other smaller perks. Not a bad living, I spend money how I want (I don't live an extravagant lifestyle by any means, obviously) and save a decent chunk of change on the side. I'm fine with the amount I make and the amount of time I put into work. Fortunately I only stand to make more money and technically they aren't supposed to work us more than 12 hours per day anyways so on a 60 hour 5 day week I'm already at the max amount of hours for the week unless I have weekend duty that weekend or some shit really goes South.

13. Volo

Volo
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I cook. I work a full time position at a restaurant and have several part time and casual positions elsewhere. I average 70 a week, with some weeks extending into the 100 hour range. I've only broken 45k in a year twice in fifteen years, and outside of my honeymoon and my actual wedding, I have yet to take a proper vacation. Yeah, I've squeezed in a few road trips and other shit here and there, but I'd be surprised if all of my booked time off thus far has reached two months total.

Yeah, I'd love to earn more money, but I live comfortably and I'm in the rare position of really and truly loving one's work. Quite frankly, I have it made. Just don't read into that statement too much, because I sure as fuck don't have any profound advice to offer on the secrets of finding true happiness. As far as I can tell, it's largely just dumbfool luck. I seem to have it in spades as of late.

14. Marburg

Marburg
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

Congratulations on being a pill monkey... you make my life painstakingly difficult by paging me incessantly about using medications for an off label reason. Also... what's that you are concerned about the QT prolongation of droperidol? Oh never mind the fact that this patient has had persistent nausea and vomiting and his QT interval is 385. Or that there has been 9 cases EVER of it causing Torsades de Pointes. Just shut your god damn man pleaser and put the pills in the bottle schmuck. I'm glad that you are slowly getting replaced by robotic pharmacists that work faster and talk back less.

I work approximately 55 hours a week currently which is far less than most of my colleagues but still not dermatology good. I actually throroughly enjoy putting in invasive lines or procedures and thinking about complex medical issues. If I had my ideal hours it would probably be 45 hours a week but sometimes I do find myself sitting bored at home unable to enjoy my down time... it's weird I know.

15. ghettoastronaut

ghettoastronaut
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Man, that was a hell of a rotation in saying mean things on the Internet you must have had during your residency. It really shows in the quality of your work.

In any case, I'm not the guy calling on a QT of 385, any more than you're the guy accidentally prescribing twice the dose of fragmin, or using outdated antibiotic dosages, or prescribing meds for an old lady without reading the name on the top of the faxed page from the nursing home, or calling and asking "I cant find benzydamine in the computer list, can you help me find it?". So we can either go into the tibber thread and compare dick size, or you can drop the the tired frat-boy RMMB style Internet tough guy rant.

16. Frank

Frank
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Medical professional fight!!!!

#76 Frank, Mar 27, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
  17. rei

rei
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I put in 35 hours a week, not counting the hour I arrive early every day to avoid traffic.
    I make $50k more or less on the nose; I'm fairly grossly underpaid at this point for my skillset and workload, but not my experience or education levels (I'm an enterprise DBA)

18. Flat_Rate

Flat_Rate
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I am a mechanic, I work 4 ten hour shifts with a rotating day off. I also work 2nd shift, 1 to 1130. Every 5th week I get a 4 day weekend.

My salary is public record so I have no problem disclosing it here, 43K a year without overtime.

I am perpetually broke because I am putting the wife through college on that income but life will be much easier when she is working full time.

19. archer

archer
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I work in the IT industry in a non-technical role, i work 40 hours a week for AUD$65k a year plus $5k potential bonus (based on personal and corporate goals being achieved).

While i'm expected to work unpaid overtime if something big/important needs doing i usually keep on top of things sufficiently that i dont have to do this.

I get by comfortably and i wouldnt want to work anymore hours than i currently do, but im not saving anything. Part of that is i like to party and holiday as much as i can but as AlmostGaunt alluded to the cost of living here is bullshit. We get seriously screwed on the prices for fucking everything. This is particularly so in Perth, which is one of the most isolated capital cities in the world AND in the middle of a resources boom which is driving up the cost of everything.

I paid $15 for a pint of domestic beer the other day. You read that right, 15 fucking dollars... and it didn't even come with a handjob.

Im going for a promotion in April that will hopefully net me another 10k a year, which will be good, but ill probably just end up going on more and/or more expensive holidays and still not save anything.

20. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

I cook for el husband and 3 of his coworkers every day. I don't make much money, but it covers our grocery bill+, allows me to cook new things all the time which I love, keeps me occupied for part of the day, and forces me to work out on base when I go drop off the food. I did try to find a "real" job out here but I'm a new graduate and the job market is pretty crappy out here so I am making the best of it. I charge $10/plate for the 3 dudes 5 days a week and will be picking up 2 new "customers" next week. I wish I could do even more but I have about reached capacity of my pots and pans, and it's not worth it to purchase expensive commercial sized equipment for a small time gig, especially since we'll be moving far away in less than a year.

El husband makes the real money. We aren't getting rich but it is enough to cover our needs and allows us to save. His base pay is actually quite shitty but the military makes up for it in non-taxable stipends and allowances (housing allowance, annual uniform allowance, food allowance). On the other hand, being in the military is basically being "on call" for your entire life. Omega touched on this, but there is so much ass covering in the military that you're always going to seminars, classes, etc, plus mandatory PT session (oh, you're on light duty? I guess you get to wake up at 4 for PT and stand around because SOLIDARITY), mandatory fund raisers on the weekends, field exercises that may have you out in the woods playing Marine 24/7 for a week, etc. On the plus side, his health care is free. On the minus, good luck actually cashing that in. You have to get permission to see an actual doctor and the mantra is "nut up and don't be a bitch" so unless you have something very obviously and visibly wrong with you, chances are slim that you actually get an appointment.

I'm not exactly sure how many hours he works. If he is going to his shop and doing his regular job, then 40 hours is probably about right. If he has all that other shit I mentioned above going on? Well, you do the math.

In less than a year he'll be out and we'll be back on the mainland. While we are both ridiculously excited about actually progressing with our lives, there is a little bit of nervousness because money could be an issue. We save our asses off right now, plus he will be getting some money for living expenses while he's in school, but I really desperately need to find some sort of work if we want to do more than squeak by. It's hard to plan for a lot of stuff that'll be going down, so it's nerve wracking, but it'll be worth it.