Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

When seconds count, the cops are minutes away

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Juice, Aug 11, 2011.

1. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Heard about this story on the radio.

I don't have children, but if I was in this guys situation I dont think I would have so charitable with the kidnappers life. But kudos to the dad anyway for his Jedi-like restraint and miraculously saving his daughter.

Focus: What are your thoughts on this situation? What would you have done?

Alt Focus: Do you have experiences you had to be heroic without a seconds delay?

2. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

3. Trakiel

Trakiel
    Expand Collapse
    Call me Caitlyn. Got any cake?

I think his reaction was perfectly normal. He was pretty much only thinking about his daughter's safety and wellbeing; at the moment of crisis who cares that the other guy's clearly a scumbag just get your child to safety.

4. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

This guy is a model for how to control moods. He did the right thing in a time where you feel the need not to, so kudos to him.

Me, I may have a more direct reaction to something like that. Killing him with my bare hands sounds pretty sweet.

5. Frank

Frank
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

As much as I'd like to say I'd deliver a merciless beating I agree, in that situation I'd want to get my daughter away from creepy dude dick as fast as possible, even if it means the guy doesn't get what he has coming to him.

6. Psychodyne

Psychodyne
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Focus: I would hope that were I ever faced with a situation like that, I could act like the father in this story. He did the most important thing, which was to get his child to safety, and not spend any time on bullshit like revenge, teaching a lesson, or any other non relevant emotion. Because of his ability to properly reason, he now gets to watch his daughter grow up, teach her, and do all of the things that good fathers should. Instead of sitting in jail for assaulting or killing some creepo.

Alt Focus: Once when I was a kid (17 or 18), I saw an accident happen practically right in front of me on the Interstate, where a Ford Explorer flipped a few times and landed in the ditch. With out even thinking about it, I pulled over and helped them out of the vehicle before it started on fire. They might have been able to get out themselves as it took a while to ignite, but I was feeling pretty good about myself, and it reinforced my teenage ideas of what I wanted to do for a career.

7. lhprop1

lhprop1
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'd do the same thing as that guy did. There's not a chance in hell I'm getting into a physical altercation with a naked dude, even if he's molesting my child.

He'll get what's coming to him in prison which is much more harm that I could inflict. They don't like child molestors.

8. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

You know, I hear that all the time and I wonder if it is true or just wishful thinking. Has anyone done hard time here that can confirm or deny this?

9. Omegaham

Omegaham
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

My aunt is a prison guard. They have to keep the molesters in a separate part of the prison because the general population keeps killing them. It isn't a myth.

10. zyron

zyron
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Did you see when they brought the guy in court who killed that 9 year old Jewish kid about a month ago (then cut him up). They brought him out and you could hear the other prisoners in the courthouse jail screaming at him that they were going to kill him.

11. lhprop1

lhprop1
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Dixie Bandit. Paging Dixie Bandit.

One of my best friend's dad is a guard at a level 5 supermax. He confirms that child molestors are considered the worst type of scum by the other inmates and will be beaten, raped, killed, or a combination of the 3 if they're ever put into population.

Watch "Lock Down" or one of the many prison shows on Discovery, Nat Geo, etc. sometime.

12. Muley05

Muley05
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

I have a four year old daughter. This story makes my skin crawl. However, like others have said, if I was in a similar situation I think I would just get her to safety and not worry about the kidnapper. But I also might make sure she is safe, then go back and beat the fuck out of that creep.

13. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Yeah the dad did the right thing, and obviously its better to not further traumatize his daughter by killing someone right in front of her. But based on him actually killing the guy, I doubt hed go to jail for that. I dont think there would be a jury in the world that would convict him. After all, this happened and the guy didnt go to jail:

#13 Juice, Aug 17, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
  14. Omegaham

Omegaham
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

While I'd like to say I wouldn't convict him, he'd probably go to jail. A prosecutor could make a damn good argument about how letting him go is condoning vigilantism, and "He really, really had it coming" is not a very good defense. The dad made the right decision. That dude will get his eventually.

15. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Child Molestors or as they are usually known inside as either "Short Eyes" or "Goofs" are automatically put in the protective custody wards (The Birdcage) when entering jails. They have separate cells and spend minimal time around other inmates. However, in jail you are around people that spend 24 hours knowing their way around their minimal surroundings. Doors get left open, guards walk off their post, you've heard the cliches. Plus, since they are in the protective custody wards they are around people who are NOT molestors like rats, guys being separated from other prisoners, etc. Those are the guys that usually ricebag* the the kid fuckers.

*"Ricebagging" is a hilarious game where you shove a man's mouth into an open bag of rice to muffle his screams as you rape him.

16. benny lava

benny lava
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

I don't have children (thankfully), but I'm pretty sure I'd act exactly like this.

Alt Focus:
    On a bachelor party rafting trip once, two kayakers passed us, with one stopping to talk to our group. He was hammered. No life vest on either. Was a local.

He left to catch up to his group and disappeared around the bend just ahead. As we pull around, his kayak is banked and people are screaming that a man is in the water.

We immediately bank and I grab my vest and head downstream as the water was moving pretty quick. I move right for this fork, where a big rock splits the current and, sure enough... there's our guy just below the surface across the rock.

Without even a word, I just pulled him up, brought him to the bank and started doing CPR. I hadn't lifeguarded since high school, but it was pretty evident I was this guy's only chance to live. His wife eventually came over just screaming bloody murder.

Well, he finally came to and while a little incoherent (remember he was drunk), he calmed down until proper transport to medical care arrived.

My group finished our float, drank and camped out and had quite the story to tell three days later at the wedding. Lessons are learned the hard way sometimes, but I imagine that dude's wife who was there for all that will never let him not wear the vest.

17. E. Tuffmen

E. Tuffmen
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

How timely, and strange. Just this morning I came across this article:

As a father I can tell you his daughter's safety was the only thing he was thinking about. After she was safe, I'm sure the reality hit him and he wanted to kill the son of a bitch.

18. StayFrosty

StayFrosty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

For anyone who believes the father should have beaten the molester down, go ask Chellie what happens when someone breaks the letter of the law with arguably good intent/reason.

It's already been stated, but the father did the right thing by getting his daughter to safety without taking any action that would have had negative consequences for his family.

19. Frank

Frank
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Just to add credence, my old high school football coach was a guard at a maximum security prison, he confirmed that molesters are kept separate and added that during a riot while he was on duty the general pop got into where they were being held and killed a couple of them.

20. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

My CPR story is not a nice one. Disclaimer: this is unpleasant.