Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

When in doubt, just tell 'em it was Carlin or Vonnegut.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by suapyg, Dec 18, 2011.

1. Whatthe...

Whatthe...
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Your team needs you tonight, you'll have to play through the pain.

2. toddus

toddus
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

He is a shitty rapper; however this quote is one to live by:

"Just cause niggas get behind you don't mean they got your back"- Xzibit.

3. katokoch

katokoch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I've got a quote from Steve Prefontaine scribbled on a piece of paper hanging up over my workbench.

"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift."

My high school wrestling coach customarily gave team captains a framed copy of this quote:

I kept it on my computer desk at home and may keep it in my desk at work.

Finally, my signature is wisdom from Red Green, and happens to be very fitting for me.

4. jennitalia

jennitalia
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Achieving life is not the equivalent of avoiding death. - Ayn Rand

5. scotchcrotch

scotchcrotch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

"Life is 10 percent what happens to you and ninety percent how you respond to it" - Lou Holtz

"The harder I work, the luckier I get"- Gary Player

6. JWags

JWags
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I have a whole bunch saved, I'll have to find them, but the two I've said to other people.

Whenever something goes bad, messes up, or otherwise doesn't go as planned, my dad always has told me, with a shrug, "Its an AFGE (aff-gee), JWags, learn from it". Whats an AFGE? Another Fucking Growing Experience. For whatever reason, it always sticks with me.

The other is kind of ridiculous, since I got it from a Young Jeezy interview, but I thought the mentality behind it is spot on. "Every day I wake up, I look in the mirror and I say "I love me some me man, I love me some me." He explained that, at the end of the day, you are who you are and until you learn to love and accept that, you won't be happy, much less change your situation for the better. Kind of deep for a trapstar.

7. ssycko

ssycko
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Leonardo Da Vinci's alleged dying words:

"I have offended God and mankind because my work did not reach the quality it should have."

Well, shit.

8. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

"you call THAT a double?". -- Larry Miller

9. Flat_Rate

Flat_Rate
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

“For those who believe in God, most of the big questions are answered. But for those of us who can't readily accept the God formula, the big answers don't remain stone-written. We adjust to new conditions and discoveries. We are pliable. Love need not be a command nor faith a dictum. I am my own god. We are here to unlearn the teachings of the church, state, and our educational system. We are here to drink beer. We are here to kill war. We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.”

Charles Bukowski

“My ambition is handicapped by laziness”

Charles Bukowski, Factotum

10. archer

archer
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

A few of my favorites:

"In a closed society where everybody's guilty, the only crime is getting caught. In a world of thieves, the only final sin is stupidity." - HST

"We never really grow up; we only learn how to act in public" - unknown

"Always laugh when you can. It is cheap medicine" - Lord Byron

"Success seems to be largely a matter of hanging on after others have let go." - William Feather

11. PetrPuck

PetrPuck
    Expand Collapse
    Should still be lurking

"For every winner, there is a loser. But that person didn't have to lose, they just didn't understand the game plan" - Buzz Aldrin

"Why you heff to be mad?" - Ilya Bryzgalov

12. BeCoolBitch_BeCool

BeCoolBitch_BeCool
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

"All persons, living and dead, are purely coincidental."
    -Kurt Vonnegut

"It's my estimation that every man that ever got a statue made of him was one kind of son-of-a-bitch or another."
    -Nathan Fillion (As Captain Reynolds)

13. whathasbeenseen

whathasbeenseen
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I have some at home but there is one that I live by. My dad is a simple enough guy. He is childish in many ways but its a good thing. If I ever had to choose someone to be back to back in a fight it would be him. The guy just doesn't have any quit in him.

He gives out one piece of advice - "Keep it movin".

I used to hate it when I was a kid because it meant nothing to me... that is until I asked him when I was about 12. He told me that I couldn't control anything in this life. I couldn't control anyone's feelings, the weather, if something I wanted could be obtained, etc. He said that the only thing I could control was myself and whether or not the direction that I was going was truly the direction I wanted to go and if what around me was distracting me from that. If it was the wrong direction all I had to do to fix all of the bad feelings that I was experiencing was to simply keep it moving in the direction that I wanted to go. Simple. But for me? Perfect.

14. lostalldoubt86

lostalldoubt86
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

"I might repeat to myself, slowly and soothingly, a list of quotations beautiful from minds profound; if I can remember any of the damn things." -Dorothy Parker.

Because all of my favorite quotes are cliche:

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." - Gandhi

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent"- Elenore Roosevelt.

"To thine own self be true"- William Shakespeare: Act I, scene iii of Hamlet

15. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Speaking of Carlin, probably my favorite bit from him ever:

My favorite line:

"We don't have people like that in this country, everyone is at the mall scratching his ass, picking his nose, pulling his credit card out of his fanny pack and buying a pair of sneakers with LIGHTS IN THEM."

On life:

"That's the good thing about dogs, they don't live that long, so you just keep getting new ones. That's the whole secret of life. LIFE, is a series of dogs."

As for other people:

Ask yourself whether the dream of heaven and greatness should be waiting for us in our graves - or whether it should be ours here and now and on this earth.-Ayn Rand

#35 Kubla Kahn, Dec 21, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
  16. dieformetal

dieformetal
    Expand Collapse
    Hurricanes Are My Bitch

"Have just received a letter telling me that(cousin) Cornelius has distinguished himself by marrying a French actress! He is a disgrace to the family, the vulgar brute!"---Theodore Roosevelt

A bit more serious...

"If we desire to avoid insult, we must be able to repel it."---George Washington

"Because you have chosen not to respect yourself, you have made your happiness subject to the opinions others have of you."---Marcus Aurelius

17. Ganimedes

Ganimedes
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

"What is common to all human beings in all history is problems, problems, problems. We are here for problem-solving and, if you are any good at problem-solving, you don't come to utopia, you come to more difficult problems to solve. That apparently is what we're here for, so I therefore conclude that we humans are here for local information-gathering and local problem-solving with our minds having access to the design principles of the Universe. We are here for local information gathering and local-Universe problem-solving in support of the integrity of eternally regenerative Universe. That is a very extraordinary and important kind of a function we have."

Buckminster Fuller

As for me, I've always liked Bertrand Russel's
    "The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts."

18. Nom Chompsky

Nom Chompsky
    Expand Collapse
    Honorary TiBette

I believe in God as I believe in the sun. Not just because I see it, but because by it I see everything else. ~C.S. Lewis

I do not pretend to know where many ignorant men are sure. That is all agnosticism means. ~ Clarence Darrow

I contend we are both atheists. I simply believe in one fewer god that you do. When you understand why you reject all the other gods, you will understand why I reject yours. ~Stephen Roberts

19. Er yan

Er yan
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

"I don't speak Italian, but Pinot Grigio means "slut fuel," right?" - - Rob Delaney

"In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life, it goes on." - - Robert Frost

"Bigotry may roughly be defined as the anger of men who have no opinions." - - G.K. Chesterton

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer." - - Henry David Thoreau

When asked where his 143-yard bunker shot to a foot on 15 ranks among the best shots of his career, Boo Weekley said, "I'd have to rank that No. 9. I done have eight holes-in-one, so that one's No. 9."

20. JWags

JWags
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Reminds me of my favorite C.S. Lewis quote...

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."