Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

What's your drink?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Samr, Feb 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Politik

Politik
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

2. LessTalk MoreStab

LessTalk MoreStab
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Will try it and let you know what I think, should be available down here. It's not really getting the love though:

<a class="postlink" href="http://beer.about.com/od/beerandbreweryreviews/gr/tsingtaodraft.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://beer.about.com/od/beerandbrewery ... odraft.htm</a>

Edit: Just looked a bit further and found this:

<a class="postlink" href="http://beer.about.com/od/beerandbreweryreviews/gr/tsingtaolager.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://beer.about.com/od/beerandbrewery ... olager.htm</a>

It might be that it's pretty good afterall, will give it a lash and try to be unbiased.

3. BL1Y

BL1Y
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Here's the thing with beer, even the piss/swill/Mexican stuff isn't really that bad. Coors ain't delicious in any way, but neither is it offensive to the palate. ...Unless you're a fucking snob. I'm sure there are a couple that drop below this threshold, but they're rare, not like well liquors. It's really only gourmet beers that can be awful, and then it's purely a matter of taste.

4. LessTalk MoreStab

LessTalk MoreStab
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Just because something is tolerable doesn't make it good. It's much the same as saying "Hamburger is ok, who the fuck would ever want rib eye steak?"

Really good beer is a thing of beauty, it's like driving a black Porsche while getting a hummer from a cheer leader, it makes life good. Shit Beer / Mega Swill will get you there, but you'll be travelling on a moped with your cousin riding pillion. He has an erection.

5. NotaPharmacist

NotaPharmacist
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Recommend Tsingtao. Also, using About.com for beer reviews is like using Bleacher Report for sports news. Both come up number one in the search results, but not because of quality.

6. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I detest snobbery in drinking. I go for cheap. Tsintao is the best of the cheap chinese made beers. Other big brands, though I think they are imports, are Asahi and Tiger, both terrible. VB, Victoria Bitter, is very popular here in Shanghai as is Carlsberg. Out of all of them I go for VBs. Bud regular here is a fucking 3.21 beer it has no body and even less taste. Im pretty sure Coors Light is cut with half water.

As for Chinese white wine. I didnt think there could be anything that tasted worst than Everclear, then I tried a bottle of this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Er_guo_tou

[​IMG]

7. PewPewPow

PewPewPow
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

mixed: Jack & Coke, or SoCo & Sprite
    beer: Ninkasi Total Domination IPA

8. TJMax

TJMax
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

If in doubt, rum and coke. If I ever want to try impressing anyone with my drink order, I'll go with a Sapphire and tonic. I've never had gin, so for all I know this could have the impressive result of puking down a girl's cleavage. I'll keep this august community posted either way.

9. lust4life

lust4life
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

When I did drink, what I drank was usually determined by where I was. Just hanging out at the usual joint (which was frequent and for long durations) it was typically Bud Light and Jager shots, and the occasional tequila or SoCo shot. Hanging out on my patio with the guys, Bud Light and Jager, or vodka on the rocks with a splash of cranberry juice. Often times, it ended up being all three.

Nicer bars/restaurants I'd drink Maker's Mark Manhattans, up, and occasionally single-malt scotch. In bars that had a large selection of microbrews on tap, I'd try something if I'd never had it, but my go-to was typically Sierra Nevada or Guinness. If the place had anything cask-conditioned, that's what I drank for the night (that's one of the things I loved about London--cask-conditioned ales at just about every pub we hit). With sushi, it was Asahi Super Dry. Beer and wasabi is magical. Sake was okay, but it's hangovers weren't.

I also really loved red wines, especially cabernets. My favorite was Tudal, and they have since expanded their offerings to include a few varieties of blended table wines, one of which--Tractor Shed Red--is outstanding, especially given it's low price. Friends we introduced it to brought it to a blind wine tasting and it beat a bottle of Opus One. Not bad for a $10 bottle of wine.

10. Dcc001

Dcc001
    Expand Collapse
    New Bitch On Top

To all you red wine drinkers out there: how do you do it? The few times I've tried, I get a massive headache within an hour of taking the first sip. Does anyone else get this? Do you just drink the wine anyway, despite the migraine?

11. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Headache after taking the first sip?

I get genuine migraines (that is, not just bad headaches which some people call "migraines" - migraines and headaches are not the same condition) and have no problems with red wine. I drink a fair amount of wine, too.

Appears to be a common problem with some people:
    <a class="postlink" href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_wine_headache" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_wine_headache</a>

Definitely doesn't affect everyone, though. I visited Napa and Sonoma last year and spent about 4 days drinking tons of wine, not a headache to be found - except the one day I drank too much and stayed out in the sun too long. Not really the wine's fault, though.

12. BL1Y

BL1Y
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

RWH is strange. Red wine usually makes my headaches go away.

13. Dcc001

Dcc001
    Expand Collapse
    New Bitch On Top

Well I have to agree that none of it ever truly tastes GOOD, but only red wine gives me a physical reaction. Any red wine, too. From the random samplings I've tried throughout my life...snake eyes.

Ah well. Not meant to be.

14. ZeekBintertwine

ZeekBintertwine
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

I dont order this at bars but I do make them at home. They are called Moscow Mules. It's ginger beer, vodka, and a wedge of lime. Best served in a copper cup!

15. thevoice

thevoice
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Beer: Alexander Keiths, Rickards Red or Stella Artois.

Scotch: Macallan 12 or Johnny Walker Red.

Shot: Jager.

16. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Cyanide.... kills threads dead.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.