Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

What's your drink?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Samr, Feb 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jennitalia

jennitalia
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I've got my two comfort drinks: beer (Stella Artois is my go-to, followed by Heineken) or rum & coke (Sailor Jerry's).

2. magz

magz
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Stranahan's Colorado Whiskey?
    [​IMG]
    If so, I have had it before and it is tasty. Seems to run about $60/bottle around here. Pretty cool bottle to boot.

3. Harry Coolahan

Harry Coolahan
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

My drink of choice used to be rum and coke, but I started finding it to be too sweet for my tastes. If I'm at a bar, my drink of choice is gin and tonic.

The only problem with gin is, once I'm even slightly drunk I have trouble pacing myself. Two weeks ago, I was at a party and had the brilliant idea of filling an empty tall boy with straight gin. I ended up drinking 16 oz of gin in 2 hours. I was an absolute trainwreck, still drunk when I woke up 8 hours later and hungover for two days. Awful.

When I'm drinking to relax and not to get drunk, I'll have a neat bourbon or scotch.

4. benny lava

benny lava
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

That would be the one.
    It is quite alright.

5. Durbanite

Durbanite
    Expand Collapse
    Eeyore

Weymouth, U.K. (formerly Durban, South Africa)
    I used to be all over the place with booze, but now that I'm getting older, I battle to drink well spirits anymore - I just feel too fucking wrecked the next day.

I tend to stick to mostly rum, whiskey or beer. My go-tos are usually Captain and Coke when out (Havana Club and Coke at home, though), martinis when I'm looking to get wrecked (vodka or gin, I don't mind, as long as it isn't well shit, so Stolichnaya when it's vodka and Bombay Sapphire for gin) and beer (Carling Black Label or Guinness most often, though I'll occasionally have a Heineken when I feel like mixing it up) but I don't usually drink a lot of beer since the gas gets to me. Sitting there unable to burp or fart gas is not a pleasant experience.

I'll also occasionally have a shot of Ströh rum (we only get Ströh 80 here), or Absinthe, if I feel like being particularly useless for the rest of the night. Tequila can just fuck right off.

6. effinshenanigans

effinshenanigans
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

If I'm buying liquor at a bar, 99% of the time it's Maker's on the rocks. No mixers, no shots, just booze and ice. There's something to be said for simplicity.

However, if I'm at a place that has it, Balvenie 15yr is pretty much my favorite thing after pussy. If I had to be stuck on an island with one drink, that'd be it.

7. Erasmusman

Erasmusman
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Gin & tonic. It's near impossible to ruin, it's excellent when you're thirsty, it doesn't put you to sleep and the sweetspot of drunkness lasts much longer with G&T than with any other drink I know. Bonus is that the hangover is comparably easy to deal with as well.

8. Frebis

Frebis
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I used to drink bourbon on the rocks like it was going out of style. For whatever reason my body can't handle it anymore, and I always end up with heart burn so bad I cant sleep, no matter how drunk I am.

I drink Vodka Soda now. I know, Im a tool.

My new years resolution is to not drink crappy beer any more. So if they don't ahve any craft brews, I always drink a vodka soda.

9. LessTalk MoreStab

LessTalk MoreStab
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Also a brewer who loves my own product, usually double hopped amber ales. I like a lot of fresh grain and fruity hops to come through in my beer, and commercial brews almost never have enough for my liking. Last Friday night a mate was down from Brisbane, he said it was the best beer he’d ever had, he was allowed to have more.

I also like me some good red wine, with Shiraz, Chianti's, Cab Sav's and Pinot's all living in my cellar. I also usually have a bottle of Jim Beam and Bombay Sapphire laying around for good measure, not a big spirits fan though.

It’s the 40-60l of microbrew in my custom fridge at 3 degrees C that gets the love.

10. Beer Me

Beer Me
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I'm a beer guy, so Unibroue's La fin du monde, which translates as "The end of the world" as if you drink a 6 pack of it, you'll be tanked if you're used to regular lagers, and end up with a bad hangover the next day.

Bars here are less liberal when it comes to beer, so I end up usually ordering Moosehead or Rickard's White.. or stay sober.

11. ghettoastronaut

ghettoastronaut
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

This is a hard topic. For some purposes, a vodka and tonic will be my go-to drink, namely, if it is the summer and it is hot as balls out. This will often come in handy if I am in shitty popular bars where the only beer is Molson Canadian or Coors Light. Even if it's winter.

For beer, at most bars, I'll have something on par with at least Sleeman or Steamwhistle if it's available. If it is the bad kind of bar where beers of at least this quality aren't available, I will go with the V&T. If it is the good kind of bar where this isn't available, I'll go for something fancy. A pint of something dark and cask-aged or Bavarian and golden yellow will do just fine.

As for wine or scotch, I can't say I've ever gotten wine at a bar or even bar-like establishment. But there is one grape to which I will gravitate in the absence of clear direction: sangiovese. Scotch? I haven't drank nearly enough of the stuff for a go-to, so I'm up for whatever's good.

The odd time that something needs to happen, a boilermaker will be ordered. A shot of whatever whisky with Molson Canadian. For some reason, the blandness of the Canadian goes perfectly with the whisky.

12. The Derelict

The Derelict
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Going by many different names, I have as of recently, been a fan of what we call the strip and go. Beer, lemonade and vodka. Economically and efficiently delicious.

13. Bjornturoc

Bjornturoc
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

For mixed, it would be rum and cherry 7 Up. For a regular drink, I just get a Bulmers/Magners. Can't go wrong with cider, I have never gotten sick drinking it.

14. Fracas

Fracas
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Like Jimmy James, I've shied away from beer of late. It remains my first love (seriously, it's hard to think of ONE classic memory of youth that doesn't involve cheap tallboys), but in my dotage, it just makes me gassy and inarticulate.

Fix me a strong margarita and I'm good. On the rocks, thanks - no slushy sorostitute bullshit. I live in California, I often drive into the desert to relax, I have cacti all over my apartment, and tequila is the only liquor I've ever been seriously nerdy about.

15. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Shot of Jameson with a Bud Light back every time.

16. $100T2

$100T2
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm pretty simple:

Sailor Jerry and Dr. Pepper or Cherry or Vanilla Coke

White Russian

17. JWags

JWags
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

As some people here have mentioned, if I drink too much beer, my stomach pretty much hates me. Which sucks, cause my main client is MillerCoors and I love beer drunk, but I also realize physically, that if I can help it, liquor is gonna make me feel better in the long run.

That being said, right now my drink of choice is Whiskey and ginger ale. When its colder out, I absolutely prefer whiskey, and ginger ale mixes perfectly with it. Even if bars don't have it, they usually ad lib with sprite, a splash of coke, and some bitters. And the ginger ale leaves such a great feeling in your stomach that it usually leads to me getting quite buzzed as I drink a bunch of them.

However, my main go to drink is a gin and tonic. Preferably Hendricks or Bombay. I had my first one freshman year of college when I was already bombed, and it tasted like I was eating out an angel. Since then, I've been hooked. Ive developed a decent gin tolerance so I can drink it most of the night and stay pretty much in control. All my friends know its my drink and usually get it without me asking. And unlike some other drinks, its something I can drink comfortably and with class into my old age.

18. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Rye & Coke if I'm feeling normal
    Jack & Coke if I feel like acting like an asshole
    Corona or Mill St. Stock Ale if it's summer or hot.

*yawn*

19. Judas

Judas
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I will third/fourth vodka and club soda/tonic water. 2:1 Club/tonic to vodka. Squeeze a little lime in and its good to go.

Rum and cokes are good, but too sugary to drink more than two. I don't like soft drinks much generally, so I'm a little biased.

I haven't had enough beer in my life to really have one to call my own, but I do like Peacemaker, from a smallish brewery in Raleigh. It's the 6 pack I get if I want something other than Keystone/Busch Light on the weekends.

20. konatown

konatown
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm on the wagon now, but when I drank I was a G&T or a straight Hendrick's gin drinker.

Back ups would be Stone/Bells/3 Floyds/Founders beers or Whiskey and Coke.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.