Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

What's the smallest hill you're willing to die on?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Revengeofthenerds, May 6, 2022.

1. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

Stolen from reddit, whatever, it's a good one.

I firmly believe there should be two spaces after a period. It's a holdover from the days of the typewriter, I don't care. It just looks more aesthetically pleasing.

This looks like complete shit. I just does. It's more difficult on the eyes, and doesn't look natural. Two spaces after a period should be the law of the land, and fuck you if you disagree with me.

Fortunately, when I helped re-write our curriculum at work years ago, I was in charge of formatting so I got to make the "two spaces after punctuation" a rule and no one fought me.

Also, it's "E-mail," not "email" you heathens. Electronic mail. Stop fucking shortening everything. And yes, I am aware that the AP Stylebook changed it to "email" in 2011. It's still E-mail to me, damnit.

Focus: What's the smallest hill you're willing to die on?

Alt. Focus: Argue with someone about the hill they're dying on.

2. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Bump, one space.

Also. NSFW tags shouldnt be used unless you can see areola, labia, or butthole wrinkles.

3. NatCH

NatCH
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Puma is pronounced PYŪ-mə.

Emu is pronounced Ē-myū.

4. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

On some websites NSFW should be presumed and while polite, I think removing NSFW tags might weed out a few idiots. Just don’t go there if you’re at work, full stop. This place, and Reddit, fall into that category for me. Open either and I am liable to see anything from boobs to butthole without warning.

although for my brother I sometimes send a preemptive NSFW text, in this case meaning “not safe for wife.” Meaning, make sure she’s not around before checking out what I’m about to send you. It’s usually boobs or butthole.

5. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Look I didnt have Hooked On Phonics as a kid. Can you translate that from Russian?

6. NatCH

NatCH
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

No.

7. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Ironically you being wrong is the hill I'm willing to die on. As you mention, two spaces only exists because typewriters are monospaced. All modern typography is designed with an intended kerning, thus rendering double spaces not only unnecessary, but definitionally wrong. A good chunk of software will even recognize and remove the second space, so people who insist on double spacing are self-adminstering a placebo most of the time anyway.

8. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

when reading this forum on mobile, my double spaced sentences are single spaced. It’s really fucking annoying, but fortunately I do most reading at my computer because the screen is bigger.

Double spaced sentences just look better though. Especially when on physical paper. I notice it in books all the time, along with other grammatical errors. I’ve stopped reading otherwise interesting books because they weren’t edited well enough and had too many errors. I’m sure that’s a type of OCD or something, but it is what it is.

9. kuhjäger

kuhjäger
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Well if you wear a top hat and monocle and sing “God Save the Queen” while eating your tea and crumpets then fine, but in murica speak murican damn it.

Focus: white toilet brushes should not exist. Toilet brush bristles should be black so you don’t see any evidence that it has been used to remove feces. Also, replace your brush at least once a year.

10. Fiveslide

Fiveslide
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I know this thread is getting a little old, but...

Golden Oreos are better than original, chocolate Oreos.