Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Whatchoo believe in, Willis?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dcc001, Apr 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rei

rei
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Assuming you picked the absolute specific religion correctly, and whatever power upstairs prefers blind loyalty over actually being a good person and living a good life

Pascal's wager is ass.

2. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Maybe Hell isn't that bad, just look at the shenanigans that take place:

[​IMG]

3. abneretta

abneretta
    Expand Collapse
    Shenanigator

I was raised Lutheran. I went to a Lutheran school through 8th grade, which included daily religion class and memorizing scripture and questions from the Small Catechism. Other than the odd baptism or marriage the last time I set foot in that church was when the Pastor ever so subtley worked me into the sermon about 6 years ago. I was living with my boyfriend (living in sin!) and my aunt was kind enough to speak to Pastor about it. I was not allowed to take communion even though this same pastor allowed another girl my age who was pregnant out of wedlock to take communion, apparently that's not as bad. Who knew?

I've since frequented a Baptist church but I don't care for the whole fire and brimstone thing. There are a lot of great things that can be taken out of Christianity, banishing everyone to hell isn't one of them. I still go from time to time to appease family but I'm not sure what I believe in anymore.

I would probably consider myself agnostic. I think everyone should be kind and that's it. Don't be an asshole and you're all good in my book. To quote Vonnegut, "There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind."

4. bebop007

bebop007
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I always enjoy the discussion on QI about Pascal's Wager.

#44 bebop007, Apr 14, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
  5. Fernanthonies

Fernanthonies
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

See, I'm not really the argumentative type, and comments like that don't really bother me. I put in my two cents, and like I said I have zero interest in trying to push my beliefs on anyone else.

Duh...

[​IMG]

6. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I consider myself a Christian. Flawed, fallible, and conflicted, but a Christian. And, speaking as a Christian - not for every Christian, mind you - not all Christians believe the type of paraphrasing Sack and Dmix described. John 3:16 - "For God so loved the world, that he gave his one and only son, that whoever believes in him will not die, but have eternal life." Hell is not mentioned there, and not every Christian believes that the opposite of eternal life is eternal damnation; it may just be death. Dante did more promoting Hell and the Devil than the Bible ever did.

7. Frebis

Frebis
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

If only God would come down and tell us the truth we could figure this all out. I wonder if he is reading this thread?

8. Frank

Frank
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I don't care what anyone else thinks, Little Nicky was an awesome movie. That's right, I said it.

9. Sherwood

Sherwood
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm an atheist, but hate identifying myself as such. Why, you ask?

Because the only people more annoying than the bible thumping self-proclaimed missionaries are the people on the other side who act all superior because they don't believe in god.

One of my major gripes with religion is the natural inclination of SOME (not all, just SOME) to try and convert others to their way of thinking. But the atheists who run around calling themselves "secular humanists" and preaching about the evils of religion and god in general tend to be far worse than any Grand Central Station Soap Box Preacher.

My knowledge of the lack of god is my own, and I don't give a fuck what you do or do not believe, so don't insist on sharing it with me. Thank you all.

10. Lasersailor

Lasersailor
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I believe in God, but not religion. I see it as no coincidence that all religions really only give power to the priests and never actually worship god, but the man on the altar.

11. Rob4Broncos

Rob4Broncos
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Oh. Great. This is all my fault.

Focus: I was raised Lutheran (specifically, WELS Lutheran, though I've honestly never understood the difference), but in the last few years, I've grown into something that more closely resembles this. It's basically all of the practical teachings of religion that most sane people would agree with, without any of the stories, bullshit speculation, and various agendas which may or may not hold merit. Did Jesus really pull a weekend stunt that would have David Blaine green with envy? Did Mohammad really talk to Allah in a cave? Did Joseph Smith really have visions from a supernatural source?

Who knows, and more importantly, who fucking cares? If these various schools of thought encourage people, above all else, to be good people, then have at it. Obviously, religion isn't a prerequisite to being a good person, so a lack thereof isn't a bad thing, either. Where it starts to get messy is when people on either end of the spectrum, like Richard Dawkins or those Westboro nutjobs, begin slinging shit at each other and cease to play nicely in the sandbox. The whole debate is rife with hypocrisy, and lacking in agreement to disagree, on both sides.

Case in point: why is "as long as I'm not pushing my agenda on to you, it shouldn't be a problem" universally considered an acceptable stance for gay rights, but not for a topic that's more profound, such as religion/agnosticism? Religion or no religion, I cannot figure out why people's various beliefs and disbeliefs are so highly scrutinized by others, as if it makes a fucking difference to the latter. Read the two quotes posted by Nom Chompsky again, because they're invaluable to this discussion.

With that, I'll leave you with this quote from the end of South Park's All About Mormons episode. Seems appropriate here:

[​IMG]

12. shegirl

shegirl
    Expand Collapse
    Redemption Seeking Whore

I cannot believe this thread was even bumped.
    [​IMG]

13. Misanthropic

Misanthropic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

This is pretty close to my viewpoint.

I was raised Catholic, but turned my back on that many years ago. The Misanthropics aren't are churchgoing family.

14. lostalldoubt86

lostalldoubt86
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Being raised Catholic, I have an intense fear of not believing in God. That's the only way I know how to explain it. I have no proof that he exists, except for the fact that I have had one too many near-death experiences and more people believe in God than super heroes. I believe because I'm afraid, if I don't, the afterlife will be horrible for me.

15. DrFrylock

DrFrylock
    Expand Collapse
    The White

Well, while I am sure much popcorn has been consumed waiting for this thread to turn into the inevitable shitshow, do we really need to actually see the calamity? As usual, a thread in violation of the rules demonstrates exactly why we have those rules.

Shegirl even reiterated the no religion rule for the contest, but it was ignored. Son, I am disappoint. By even deigning to run this thread, I risk the Wrath of Shegirl, which is more real and terrible than that of any angry God, I assure you.

I have taken note of all the happenings here, and all will be rectified in the final act. Of judgment.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.