Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

What loot did you get?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nettdata, Dec 25, 2010.

1. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

My wife got me the Always Sunny collection (booya) and Jon Stewart's hysterical new coffee table book Earth plus some of those Canadian mitts/hats spilling over from last year's Olympic fever. I recieved many boring, very practical gifts (and money) from my folks as always.

My work gave me a $100 gift certicate to the not-so-good Canadian Superstore, which I took there and bought 2 $50 East Side Mario gift certificates from their electronic department, then treated friends and family to dinner.

2. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Got some reading material myself.

Seriously, though... it was a great Christmas.

-- a pair of Monty Python Killer Bunny slippers
    -- a new screw-pull
    -- nice bottle of wine
    -- Pinky and the Brain DVD's
    -- an adjustable master brake cylinder (mmmm... front-rear bias adjustment!)
    -- a 300 ft-lbs torque wrench

And, even though I'm not back at home with the family for XMas this year (which was kind of nice and relaxing for a change, really), a friend of mine had me over for Christmas dinner at his new house, with his girlfriend and his son. It was quite nice.

The best gift of all, though, was not having any drama.

My friend's going through some family crap right now... custody / bitchiness issues with the ex-wife over their kid, and now my friend's sister's soon-to-be-ex-husband is in jail for molesting his 12 year old step-daughter. And the step-daughter blames herself, saying that she was the one that was coming on to him and seducing him. And he's in his early 30's, a 130 lbs nerdy type, and is SOOO not going to do well in jail.

The Girl is having family drama issues due to her mother's cancer coming back and her going through round 4 of chemo, being hospitalized, and giving up on life. The family is tearing itself apart because of their inability to deal with it.

So yeah, I'll be in the garage all day finishing my engine swap now that my new distributor is here, and putting in my new master cylinder and bias adjustment controls, catching up on Adam Carolla podcasts and having a few beers.

And more importantly, I'll be hugely grateful for what I didn't get for Christmas.

Attached Files:

3. Samr

Samr
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

- 1k-ish cash
    - ski trip to Tahoe, with wife, sister and nephew, parents
    - a bunch of real nice ski gear (where we live, if you want to see snow, you need to jump on a plane or drive at least a day, so I didn't have any of it)
    - a bunch of nice ski gear for the wife (so I won't have to buy her shit)
    - random tools, those are always nice
    - electric shaver
    - gun case
    - some more dress shirts

And from the in-laws:

Everything I need to weld. Welder, torch, angle grinder, auto-darkening helmet (and goggles), gloves. My father in-law is a self-taught but very good welder. I've always wanted to learn to weld, because I just figured it was one of those things every guy should know, so now he'll teach me. Sweet.

4. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

My great Aunt used to give away the government allowable 10,000 dollar tax free gifts each year to her sons. She wasn't about to let the government take it easily from her cold dead hands. She passed away this year. One of the smartest women I have ever known and could tell one helluva good story. Made a fortune in real estate investments in Florida. I miss her.

I got:

-Two Tobasco bottles and a Christmas tin of Hershey Chocolate from my brother
    -Money
    -A new tailored suit and two tailored shirts, which were a combination birthday/christmas presents.
    -The running joke combination socks and underwear.

5. Durbanite

Durbanite
    Expand Collapse
    Eeyore

Weymouth, U.K. (formerly Durban, South Africa)
  6. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

7. scootah

scootah
    Expand Collapse
    New mod

I work in a midsized office - it's not huge - but it's respectable. I work with 5 ex South African crackers, aged between 24 and 35 years old. I think there's a couple of others in the office also. They all have respectable and diverse career histories before leaving South Africa for the civilized first world. I know a couple of dozen Saffa's in the mining industry, from truck drivers and rig operators through to engineers and geologists who make a solid living. They all moved to the East Coast of Australia because there are so many Saffa's in Western Australia that there's no point in going there from Africa - you might as well just stay home.

I guess they're all freaky exceptions to the no jobs situation.

8. jordan_paul

jordan_paul
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

9. D26

D26
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Weeeee, back on topic!!!!!

My family:

--Awesome margarita maker. Used it last night. Wife is paying the consequences today.
    --Some nice holiday-themed glasses and crystal wear for the kitchen
    --Inception on DVD (became a $25 visa gift card after my brother and I traded because my in-laws got me Inception on Blu-Ray)

My wife's parents:
    --Some Purdue items (throw blanket, pillow) to decorate our living room
    --Inception Blu-Ray
    --Digital Picture Frame
    --Clothes (mostly long-sleeve t-shirts)
    --About $100 in gift cards to amazon.com and best buy
    --My wife got about $115 in amazon.com gift cards. She won't have to pay for a book on her kindle until at least July

My wife:
    --Heavy Rain for the PS3
    --The Expendables Blu-Ray
    --Rescue Me Season 5 on DVD
    --Nice, warm new hoodie
    --New button up shirts
    --Awesome pair of snow boots (desperately needed this, didn't think to ask for it, this is why I love her)

I got her:
    --All 5 seasons of Weeds on DVD
    --Community season 1 on DVD
    --Grey's Anatomy Season 5 on DVD
    --Final Season of Nip/Tuck on DVD
    --A reading light for her kindle
    --New pair of diamond stud earrings (went cheaper and smaller, because she lost her last pair of diamond studs and demanded that I not spend more than $75 on any earrings for her ever again)
    --Waffle maker
    --Pie carrier (she bakes pies all the time, but always complains about how it is a pain in the ass to bring them places
    --Shopping spree*

*My wife will not buy new clothes on a regular basis, she just never really thinks about it. I will never buy my wife clothes, as it is shockingly hard to find something that will fit her, so she'd just have to take it back anyway. As a compromise, every year we set aside a large chunk of her Christmas money and let her go to the mall and go nuts. Luckily, I tend to shop cheap (I paid less than $220 for everything I bought for her).

I think some of those gift cards are going to have to go towards a new DVD rack. We have two and they're both full, and we've added 13 new DVDs and Blu-Rays to the collection.

I also fully expect my still hung-over-and-sick wife to curl up on the couch and spend the day marathoning Grey's Anatomy while I watch football in the basement and take care of her. Ahh, the joys of the day after Christmas.

10. Dirty30

Dirty30
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

The best gift I received was spending a Christmas at home with my family for once. Corny, I know, but true.

I'm excited that I got a toolbox full of tools and a cordless drill. I know what you're thinking, but I've never been in one place long enough to need them, until now. Is this considered settling down? At least its a baby step toward domesticity in my mind. Don't judge me.

11. lust4life

lust4life
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

iPod Nano--6th Generation, Jabra speakerphone for my truck, the complete collection of the NY Times Sunday Crossword puzzles since 1942, $100 cash, a loaf of banana bread, a headache and indigestion.

Thank God the in-laws head home tomorrow. I love them, my wife loves them, and I want my wife to be happy, but it happens every year--they come and they drive her nuts while they're here which in turn, drives me nuts. Add my mother and her toxic attitude to the mix and you get the basis for a Law & Order: Criminal Intent episode.

Next year, no extended family. Quiet Christmas, just the 4 of us, and then we're going back to Cancun on New Year's Eve and staying for eight days...and bringing the kids with us is optional.

12. TX.

TX.
    Expand Collapse
    The Mad Pooper

Clothes, seasons of House, Arrested Development, and some movies on DVD, a book I've been wanting, Amazon giftcard, money. Pretty rad Christmas.

Will have Christmas part 2 when I see my aunt next week. lust4life, immediate family is the way to go. I've never had a more peaceful or calmer Christmas.

13. Blue Dog

Blue Dog
    Expand Collapse
    Absentee Mod

I think I did pretty well this year:

- The little lady got me this watch

- My little brother drew my name (the brothers and their significant others did this for the first time this year), and got me a pretty nice iHome

- My parents got me this shirt, this pullover, this shirt (in navy), a couple of these t-shirts, a couple Guy Harvey t-shirts, a couple of nice oxford work shirts, new jeans (my favorite pair were cut off of me by the paramedics after my accident) and khakis, some cookware for my new hunting camp, and a nice little Gerber pocket knife. My parents' are friggin' awesome

- This book from my aunt... kinda... (she gave me a B&N gift card, and I paid the remaining balance for this. So I guess you could say its from me, as well)

- One of my dad's biggest clients, who is also a close friend of the family, gave me a 64gb iPad while I was in the hospital, so I'll include that, too

- Money from multiple people, I don't really know how much. I guess maybe $200-300, but its been kinda flowing out as I receive it

We got a couple of baby presents, but not nearly as many as I thought we would. I kinda thought that those would be all I would get, and that I'd never really have a good Christmas again. But yeah, you could say that I'm extremely pleased with my haul this year.

14. shabamon

shabamon
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

From girlfriend:
    -Green and white (for Ohio University) handmade blanket
    -Tickets to see "STOMP" in May

From family:
    -Clothes (charcoal suit, two pairs of dress pants, sweater, one pair of jeans, winter jacket, gym socks-I actually asked for socks this year...HELP!)
    -Nikon Coolpix camera, including three memory cards
    -Assholes Finish First
    -A book about Cincinnati's beer brewing history
    -$300 cash
    -gift cards to Lands End and Barnes & Noble
    -Plenty of candy

15. Beer Me

Beer Me
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Two gift packs of DeuS beer
    Season 1 of Simpsons - which I already have
    A connector for iPod/iPhone to TV - doesn't work so returning it
    Chocolates, gift cards galore - especially Tim Hortons
    Bought a Montreal Canadiens jersey and a Dale Hawerchuk Winnipeg Jets t-shirt with Christmas money

[​IMG]

16. LatinGroove

LatinGroove
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

We did Secret Santa this year. This year I got a bunch of work out clothes since I only had two pairs of shorts that I used.

I also bought myself a used Mossberg 500 for $150.

17. hoju

hoju
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Because my brother is a complete fuckup, my parents thought that was a good reason to give me and my girlfriend $2000. I don't understand the logic, but who am I to argue? Now I know what Ballsack feels like. Straight ballin' son.

Girlfriend/soon to be fiance got me a 15 piece Henckles knife set. Makes my dookie twinkle.

18. Disgustipated

Disgustipated
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The good: A full set of Ginnsu Steak Knives. Seriously. I didn't think they made those things anymore.

The bad: $50 from my dad, to share with my son. I don't care if he gets me nothing, but seriously.... put a little effort in for the four year old entranced by the magic of Christmas.

The ugly: A big ass ceramic turkey platter that I just know is going to get shattered.

19. Frebis

Frebis
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

From my parents- I got an Obama Chia pet and a new set of Callaway Drivers. This is awesome, as I needed a new driver in the worst possible way, but I refuse to spend any money on my self.

My brother got me a new Blue Jackets Jersey, which should be pretty nostalgic in a couple of years after they sell the team to Hamilton.

My Grandma passed away and inherited a large sum of money that I had no idea she had. That's kind of like a Christmas present, right? My Dad told me I had to invest the money, and was not welcome to spend it however I wanted. Tjis angers me, as I really felt like not working for the next few years, and traveling around the world. I guess I can save that for retirement.

For myself I bought a week long ski trip to Beaver Creek and Steamboat. If my Grandma hadnt passed away while I was gone it would have been the best week of my life. We got so much fresh powder while we there it was ridiculous.

20. Mastro

Mastro
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

I knew no-one else would buy me anything, so I bought myself three bespoke tailored suits, and a HTC 7 Mozart phone.

Best presents I ever got.