Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

What do you hate about being you?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Revengeofthenerds, Jan 27, 2023.

1. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

Reddit did a thread asking men what they hate about being men.

This struck a chord:
    Since we all "know" each other pretty well, let's make this a little more specific

Focus: What do you hate about being you specifically?

And yes, I know, we all hate having big swinging cocks. Or cheese drawers. Whatever.

2. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

I'm undisciplined and waste too much time on Internet forums.

3. walt

walt
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

My weight.

I've always been big. It's been a lifelong struggle and at my heaviest, I was 297. I bought one pair of new jeans that fit me, and immediately felt disgust. I swore that no, I would not wear them, I would lose weight. I never wore them again.

I eventually lost a little more than 40# and felt amazing at 255 and it was a motherfucker to get down to that and maintain. I'm hovering around 270 now, and thank God for my height because it helps carry it well. I still walk at least a mile a day, have made giant strides in my eating habits, etc. but still, here I am.

And like most guys, I suppose a couple more inches would be nice. they say for every 15 pound you lose you gain an inch but that's a bunch of bullshit. I'm still 6ft.

4. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I hate the fact that my ADHD has made it so hard to complete certain educational feats in my past. Not knowing it was ADHD until a couple of years ago was validating but frustrating at the same time.

I didn’t realize that going back to reread entire pages of a book/passage because my mind would wander while while still actually reading the words was a symptom.

I spend so much time thinking about what could have been with my life and career had this been diagnosed in elementary school. But because I didn’t behave like the typical “ADD” kids, it went largely unseen.

5. GTE

GTE
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'll say my procrastination. From chores to projects. I'll have good ideas and can even picture the completed project in my mind but just cannot get the ball rolling. I should just get up and do it, but, there is always tomorrow.....

Alt Focus - Things I like about being me - When I do finally get the balling rolling, I am an absolute machine and won't stop until it's done.

6. Misanthropic

Misanthropic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I am a worrier. I worry about my kid, my extended family, my friends, my health, the climate, the economy, nuclear war, the list goes on. Pairing that with constantly being in my own head and analyzing everything internally and externally means I said goodbye to any peace of mind decades ago. Shit, I often doubt if I’ll ever be happy again. My good days/times I describe as being content. Am I happy when I see my kid, hug my wife, have a laugh with a friend, or a good meal? Sure, temporarily. But a general sense of well-being? Not in a long time.

7. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

How much time you got?

8. Misanthropic

Misanthropic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

This too for me dude.

I went from being the skinny guy among my friends to the fat one. I had a brief period in my mid to late 20s when I was at a good weight and looked good but then I zipped right past that to heavy. I’m constantly trying to lose weight with varying degrees of success.

9. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

damn this is actually something I love. Wasn't diagnosed with ADHD until law school but by then it was like "no shit." My degree is in public speaking which ADHD is perfect for. Playing with my boys -- also excellent. They wanna do something new every 15 minutes, which is about when I lose interest as well. But when I get into a hobby, I get REALLY into into it. Like full on manic mode. I'm currently on a deep dive into different theories of running and specifically running form. Eventually I'll move swiftly and decisively onto something else, but the knowledge is still there and will be useful.

10. bebop007

bebop007
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Pushing 40, I've wondered if there would be any value to getting tested for being somewhere on the ADD/ADHD spectrum. Professionally, I feel like I'm in a good place, so I don't know what would change there. But I sometimes wonder what could be helped just in my day to day. I *love* reading, but that bolded section is me to a tee. The amount of effort I have to spend quieting my brain down before I can sit down a read makes it hard to start in the first place.

And I think mine went unnoticed for reasons similar to yours. I was an honors student who was in National Honors Society............how can someone like that have something that can impede learning/school performance? I've talked with my wife about it, but then we talk about friends of ours who definitely have some sort of attention disorder/deficiency and then I just wind up thinking "yeah, maybe I don't have it so bad" and then just forget about.

11. dixiebandit69

dixiebandit69
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I hate, hate, HATE how disorganized I am about everything. House, car, workspace, everything.

I waste so much time looking for things that should be easy to find.

I don't know why I'm like this; the only thing I can figure out is that I just don't think about placement/ organization the way that other people do.
    I'll put something somewhere, thinking that I'll remember where it is, and then I can't find it when I need it. I've tried all kinds of things to help with organization, Jungle Julia and my mom have tried helping over the years, but I always end up the same way - with a cluttered mess.

12. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Anxiety has crippled the life I’ve wanted to live. Majors, jobs I wanted to apply to, girls I’ve wanted to ask out, vacations I’ve wanted to take, places I’ve wanted to live, cars I’ve wanted to buy. All forgone because I get a pit in my stomach that zaps my energy until I back away from what ever I face. It pisses me off because it’s a low mid grade anxiety. I’ve seen people with true panic attack and this is nothing close but the measure of a man is what he can handle and I can’t handle much.

I’ve been in therapy for a number of years with nothing to show. First therapist didn’t push me at all to expose myself to my fears. I worked up the courage to ask my clinician to switch therapist and she switched me to a guy that is just a general counselor. He’s alright in the general advice department but we haven’t done a thing about the anxiety. Health stuff is something I can put off for years so I’m not optimistic at this point at overcoming it any time soon.

That’s my biggest character flaw I hate. I just turned 38 and can fell the downslope of my body. I don’t recover from injuries like I used to, wiener doesn’t work like it used to, can’t handle alcohol at all anymore. Haven’t really even started what I’d call a life and I’m on the down hill portion. Ugh.

13. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I never realized why my dad and granddad used to flip on my brother about leaving tools a mess until I started working on my own car and 9/10ths of the time was spent searching for the right sized socket. They were neat freaks and it was not passed on to us. Probably rebelled against it as anal as they could be.

My older brother can organize like an autist but very rarely does it consistently. I’ve reorganized my tools before but they end up in the same pile again.

14. SouthernIdiot

SouthernIdiot
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm disorganized, lazy, and have a huge problem with procrastination. Also, I'm fat due to a sugar habit I can't or won't put enough effort into breaking.

15. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Are you me?

16. SouthernIdiot

SouthernIdiot
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I hope for your sake that you're better looking.

17. dixiebandit69

dixiebandit69
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Sweet, merciful crap, THIS ^^^.

I've thought about this a lot over the years, and I'd estimate that I could finish jobs about thirty percent faster if I could only find that damn tool THAT I JUST HAD IN MY FUCKING HANDS THIRTY SECONDS AGO.

I'll just set it down "right here" while I go to get another tool/ part/ etc., and I can't find it when I get back.
    I genuinely hate this about myself, but I don't know how to fix it.

Also, I drink too much. I know what the answer is, but I don't want to stop. I want to stop, but I also don't. Sometimes I just hate being me.
    You idiots are the only ones I feel that I can say this to.

18. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

damn y'all making this sound like a Lee Brice song

19. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

They need to develop a socket that can only be removed from the wrench if it is stuck back on the correct sized holder first. There has been multiple times I just end up driving to the store and buying another socket and end up losing it by my next job. I do the same thing where Ill lay a tool down and forget where it is a minute later. It doesnt help that everything around my workspace is piled with unorganized crap.

20. SouthernIdiot

SouthernIdiot
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I've had this problem with everything as I've gotten older. If I take a few seconds to memorize where I'm putting something down I will remember where it is. If I don't take the time I can't find whatever I'm looking for and it drives me crazy.