Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

What colour is this dress?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dcc001, Feb 27, 2015.

?

What colour is the dress in the first picture?

1. I'm just here to fuck Binary (changing it up a bit)

2 vote(s)
    4.5%
  2. Blue & black

17 vote(s)
    38.6%
  3. Bluish-white/grey & gold

5 vote(s)
    11.4%
  4. White & gold

20 vote(s)
    45.5%
  1. Dcc001

Dcc001
    Expand Collapse
    New Bitch On Top

http://news.nationalpost.com/2015/02/27 ... ne-debate/

I saw ^ that popping up all over last night and couldn't even understand what the debate was about. The first picture is clearly bluish-white/gold, the second is blue and black. Like it's the same cut of dress, but offered in two different colours. What's the debate?

Then a girl in our office swore that BOTH pictures were blue and black. That blows my mind. How do you get 'black' out of the gold areas?

Focus: What colour is this dress?

2. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

All the articles I've seen had already discussed the debate, and they have scientific breakdowns of why some people see it one way and some see it another. So, when I first heard about it, the first photo I saw was intentionally processed to make everyone see the white / gold version next to the blue / black versions. Meaning, it's difficult to come in and see it unbiased. But, in this picture here:
    [​IMG]

you're telling me that you don't see blue & black?

3. Dcc001

Dcc001
    Expand Collapse
    New Bitch On Top

THAT picture, absolutely, is dark blue and black.

The first one in the article is not. IMO.

4. katokoch

katokoch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I see a blue and black dress in some photos where the white balance seems screwed up.

5. kindalas

kindalas
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Fuck that dress.

People should be discussing this picture. It is a much better example of how our brains process images.

Check the spoiler for a more obvious version.

Attached Files:

6. Misanthropic

Misanthropic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

If those pictures are of the same dress, someone is trolling, and fucked with the lighting, photographic settings, etc.

7. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

8. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The focus, Focus: What colour is this dress?, despite using Canadian spelling, was specific to the dress, not other photos of the dress. The dress is blue and black, not just THAT picture.

9. Now Slappy

Now Slappy
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Nail meet head. You've got it, and Juice nailed it in the Rant and Rave thread.

10. Currer Bell

Currer Bell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

It came as no surprise to me. A couple of months ago my daughter and I argued via text over a picture of a sweater I sent her that she insisted was green, when in reality it was light pink. Combination of expectations, shitty store lighting, and the mysteries of the human brain.

11. lostalldoubt86

lostalldoubt86
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I honestly don't see white and gold at all, even in the first picture where everyone tells me they see it. I find the study or whatever you want to call it interesting.

12. happyfunball

happyfunball
    Expand Collapse
    overly defenCive stuffed cougar

My son is color blind. It makes things easy. "No really, that's a green (ish) shirt. You're set for wear green to school day. Honest."

13. Nom Chompsky

Nom Chompsky
    Expand Collapse
    Honorary TiBette

I can't believe so many people are so interested in a silly dress. I mean, all it does is call into question the very nature of observation, reminding us of the fact that our understanding of reality is irrevocably filtered through our ability to perceive it. I don't get what's so interesting about that philosophically fundamental question.

14. toddamus

toddamus
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

It is interesting that either can or can't see it. I remember seeing this appear on my twitter last night and didn't quite get why the guys in the NHL were retweeting it. A blue dress who cares, usually whats under it is more interesting. Then I saw on CNN and thought well CNN is full of shit usually so who cares. Its not until I actually looked into the twitter comments that I noticed the controversy. I'm sure in some crappy "I Love the 2010's!" show we'll see this show up again sometime in the future.

What I'm curious about is I've seen polls saying that there's a 2:1 ratio of people who see gold versus black. I'm really wondering if people who are saying they're seeing gold are going with the crowd or thats what they actually see.

15. Dcc001

Dcc001
    Expand Collapse
    New Bitch On Top

Added a poll.

16. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I looked at it and saw a white and gold dress. I'm also colorblind so I wonder if that had any bearing on my perception, even though I'm red and green deficient. When people were saying that they were seeing black, I just felt like I was being punked.

17. kfox

kfox
    Expand Collapse
    Should still be lurking

At first I thought that this was a result of trolls, but the dress in the top picture alternatively looks white/gold and blue/black to me. At first, it was only when I scrolled up to it that it was blue/black, and when I scrolled down to it that it was white/gold. Then, I stared at it without scrolling at all, and it would alternate from blue/black and white/gold. My girlfriend who was looking at it with me swore that it was staying white/gold.

My dad is colorblind in that he confuses a lot of the red, green, and blue colors. People also tell me that I confuse grey and blue often. So, colorblindness? This is really interesting though and I'd like to see a scientific explanation why.

18. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I posted one earlier, but basically, the brain isn't just something that shows you what's there, it does a fair bit of interpretation along the way.

There are some built-in colour correcting effects that the brain does in certain situations, and some people adjust one way, others go the other way.

This dress just happens to be a really good example of something right on the edge of the "which way do I correct it" line.

19. shimmered

shimmered
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

ALL of the men in the house see white and gold.
    *I* see blue and black.

I'm the one who's color blind, btw.

20. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

#20 Revengeofthenerds, Feb 27, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015