Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Whale Wars

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Nettdata, Jun 25, 2011.

1. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

It's now into Season 4.

I have to admit that this is a bit of a guilty pleasure of mine.

While I tend to applaud their goal, the way they go about trying to achieve it is almost criminal. Not that I give a shit about the stuff they do to the whalers, but I mean how criminally stupid they are with their actions.

The way that they launch the boats into the water, the way they get run over by thousand ton ships, the way they launch a helicopter in the fog and then leave it hanging without communication, the way they deploy prop-foulers and then forget to untie them from the small zodiaks and get busted to shit, the way they strand small boats in the Antarctic ocean 6 hours away in -40°F wind chill; it's idiotic.

It's a bunch of fucking hippies playing pirate with some pretty modern gear in one of the most unforgiving environments on the planet, and they are constantly fucking it up.

I'm amazed that they haven't killed anyone yet.

Anyone else watching this?

2. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I watched an episode for the first time the other night. They got a tow line stuck in the BatBoats propeller and had to dive twice to try and cut it loose. I watched it out of curiosity since South Park completely dumped on the fat ass hippy leader. Honestly seemed like just another super edited for drama "reality" series. Unlike Gold Rush Alaska, anti-whaling doesn't interest me as much as GETTIN THE GOLD!

3. lhprop1

lhprop1
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I cheer for the whaling boats constantly. I've brainstormed ways the whalers could smash those fucking hippies. I've even thought about offering my services to help them combat those dirty fucking punks, but the only think I can think of is different delivery systems for very large calibers.

I'm honestly sad that I missed last season when "my boys" ran over their little batmobile boat and I'm very disappointed that they didn't take the opportunity to do the same with the new batmobile boat this year.

I want to punch the tv every time I see that little cocksucker with the John Lennon glasses and the pre-pubescent facial hair.

I did have one creative idea to put a whuppin those dirty hippies, though. Whale Wars vs. Swamp People. Tell me you wouldn't watch.

4. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

How awesome would it be to see a group of good-old-boys gear up and harass the Sea Shepherd fucks while they in turn are fucking with the whalers?

5. lhprop1

lhprop1
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

All I have to say is that if they had ice fishing, I'd be packing the U-Haul and heading to Louisiana today. Those are my kind of people.

6. DannyMac

DannyMac
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Watched a marathon during my Memorial Day vacation and the show had a profound impact on me.

Unfortunately for Sea Shepard that impact was that I went and researched the state of whaling. The fact is that since the International Whaling Ban, most of the whales that the Japanese are collecting have moved well up the Endangered Species list to Least Concern and thus all of Fatty McFatterson's "they're killing off the whales" speeches are continued bullshit posturing.

I'm not sure where I fall on the actual ethics of killing sea mammals, but I sure as shit don't trust those douchebags to give me a well reasoned argument for or against it.

7. Dmix3

Dmix3
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

South Park really nailed it when they said America likes to have it's cake and eat it too. Here we are fighting wars in Iraq and Afghanistan to root out and eradicate terrorism, yet our citizens are free to not only participate in what, to the rest of the world, is eco-terrorism, but they have a TV show documenting it. I root for the whalers every time my fiancee watches this show.

8. zzr

zzr
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

We have watched the show off and on since the first season. During the first season I kept saying to my wife and kids, "What a bunch of fucking morons. You know what they need for those acid bombs? A redneck potato gun." We sat down to watch the first episode of season four last week and what do they have? A fucking potato gun. I told my kids "It only took those morons three years to come up with the potato gun idea." The show seemed to start out highlighting the ideology and passion of the Sea Shepherd members against whaling. Now it mostly focuses on how fucking dumb they all are.

The problem with the entire organization is that so few of them have any real-world experience with anything. What they need is an engineer and a good industrial maintenance man. Then they'd get some shit done. They're no match for the Japanese with the crew they have. They had one smart person throughout the entire series - Jane, formerly of the U.S. Navy - but they ran her off because they were all too stupid to listen to her.

9. lhprop1

lhprop1
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

That's never going to happen though. Everyone with real world experience is busy, you know, being productive and contributing to society and shit.

10. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

That's why we need a Red Neck from the good old south to win the powerball's $450 million so he can go out and fuck with them.

From the bridge of the latest in Batman Boats, called The General Lee, with a big-ass 01 down the side:

"here... hold my beer. There's the Bob Barker... load them deer carcasses into the catapult"

11. lhprop1

lhprop1
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

It would be way cooler if they put a bucket of live water mocassins or cottonmouths in that catapult. Now that would be fun (cue Benny Hill music as you picture the hippies running everywhere and diving overboard).

Unfortunately, something tells me the cold-blooded reptiles wouldn't fare very well near the Earth's poles.

12. zzr

zzr
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yeah, every time I watch that show I keep thinking that if I joined their crew they would be so much more productive. Then I remember I have a life, and I don't really care about whales.

It would be awesome if they had a mole on board. After they get hundreds of miles out in the ocean, he breaks out a pole and starts fishing. When he catches something he pulls out a little propane stove and fries it up right there on deck. Dewercs would be perfect, wouldn't he? What are they going to do, take him back to the mainland? They won't harm him. Did you see the mental breakdown they all had when the Japanese actually pulled a whale on board right in front of them? They'd be so shocked they wouldn't know what to do. Now that would be a show worth watching.

13. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Or pulls out a .50 and goes to town on the cute seals they see bobbing around.

"Can we go pick it up? I need to make a new pair of mitts."

14. Harry Coolahan

Harry Coolahan
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I've been looking at clips of this show on youtube. Anyone care to share their favorite clips of the show?

Jesus these people are stupid.

15. gogators

gogators
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

What happened to the two crews, of the small boats, that were left behind? Or is that going to be on this week's show.

16. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

That's where I last saw it... the dramatic pull-out shot of them falling asleep due to hypothermia while hiding behind the iceberg.

I'd imagine the next episode will be a half hour of bullshit tension building only to have the ship pick them up and the medic say "yep, cold but fine."

17. gogators

gogators
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yeah... they left off with some b/s about that footage being the last footage shot by the two crews. Made it seem like they died.

If I had to guess, the batteries in the cameras must have died.

18. dense

dense
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

Since that episode there have been a few things that I kind of viewed as fucked up. First, they centered an entire episode over the fact that their helicopter pilot, after hours of searching, had tracked down the factory ship, then he tracked it for awhile, then he flew back, and according to him he had flown for like 12 of the last 16 hours, and everyone was looking at him like he was a bitch. The entire crew is comprised of vegans who fuck up nonstop, the pilot is pretty much the only person that doesn't make a mess of it.Secondly, ever since this show started to air the Sea Shepherds have tried this whole prop-fouling nonsense, and while all of their attempts for the past four years have apparently been either total failures or the prop cut through the line, in the latest episode they lay down two perfect foulers?

I'm only watching now because I think that Paul Watson is going to fuck up royally and I want to see it happen.

19. lhprop1

lhprop1
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I had a giant, boisterous laugh when those fuckheads did everything they could to foul the prop of the Nishin Maru and it didn't work.

Not much later, I yelled something like "Ram those dirty fucking hippies" when the batmoboat almost got rammed. It woke up my wife and got me scolded.

20. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

The whole thing is awesome. My googlereader has a feed on their blog, and

unfortunately, the fat dude doesn't fuck it all up.

I've been watching since the first season, and initially I was on the side of the sea shepherds. I thought what they were doing was a noble cause. Then the captain got all pissed and banned alcohol on the boat because a few of them showed up to work hungover. Buzzkill.

From that point forward, fuck 'em.

I agree with whomever proposed the whole snakes idea. For either side. Stick a bunch of non-poisonous snakes inside one of those spud guns and launch them onto the boat. It'd be like "Snakes on a Plane," except real life and filmed.

Unfortunately, the hippies would never do that because it could potentially/would certainly harm some animals and the Japanese would probably eat them. Alive.