Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Westworld

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Kubla Kahn, Oct 10, 2016.

1. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yeah I was way off with that one, not sure where I got that...

Show continues to spell bind me. Im really starting to dig Anthony Hopkin's sort of unpredictable character. Not sure his intentions. They are weaving back story in nicely. Nice to see some good sci-fi coupled with well written drama. Hopefully it catches on enough with audiences that it can make it a few seasons to tell their whole story.

2. Dcc001

Dcc001
    Expand Collapse
    New Bitch On Top

I still can't shake the Dark Tower parallels. The world is utterly perfect for TDT Book 4.

- Vast western landscape that is a subterfuge for hidden technology that is going awry.
    - Evan Rachel Wood as Susan Delgado? Perfect casting.
    - James Marsden is about 15 years too old for Roland (in this story), but I'd be willing to overlook it. He looks the part. He's even referred to as, "The Gunslinger."
    - Ed Harris as, literally, The Man In Black. Would also serve well as Jonas.
    - A saloon full of drunks.
    - A farmhouse out on a drop that has horses, and the father is continuously killed before his time.
    - You can pass through portals into the cold technology of the overlords, and then pass back.
    - Hidden doors.

IT IS THE EXACT SAME THING AS FUCKING WIZARD AND GLASS. If they introduce a eunuch piano player, a 12-year-old boy with amnesia and a black woman with no legs I'm going to scream.

Seriously it's like they're mocking everyone, given how poorly cast the actual DT movie is.

3. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

"Roland" is also an anagram for "Arnold." But I'm guessing that's a coincidence.

4. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

How far in the future is this? I'm guessing anywhere from 30 to 100 years. And is Ed Harris Arnold, or is that too obvious of a swerve?

Definetly a show that has my full focus while watching. It's a slow reveal while at the same time spiralling towards what is no doubt a horrifying disaster. And its production values are HBO at its absolute finest.

....but fuck all that bullshit for now. The important topic was your earlier thoughts on sex with with robots that look like really hot chicks. Honestly... McPoyles' buddy's experience makes sense. He's getting his money worth and skipping the boredom. If it was your first time there.... Would you leave the saloon? Or the fucking TRAIN for that matter? Rose Huntington-Whiteley is biting her lower lip wanting to fuck you. YOU DO NOT SHOOT THAT SHIT DOWN, McPOYLE. Bring that shit to task and then chase that after with smooth Kentucky bourbon. Jason Statham is NOT going to kick your ass. A sexually aggressive Thandie Newton? Sounds delightful, I'll take two.

Think about this: Chricton's wonderful film (don't forget the sequel "FutureWorld") didn't enlighten as much as this show demonstrates that this theme park gives the idea of The Ultimate: all the things that make human beings insecure about sex are tossed blissfully in the garbage. No more rejection for ANY reason. You could fuck quadruplets of Buffy-era Eliza Dushkus that have no sexual boundaries on each other. With no rejection to ANY fetish you might have. . Like she said: If you can't tell, what difference does it make?

You people think about that. If we don't kill each other, this reality will eventually exist.

#24 Crown Royal, Oct 18, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2016
  5. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Everyone is theorizing McPoyle is actually a young version of the man in black. I don't buy that. Being one of the original founders makes a lot more sense. I could see Hopkin's being complicit in letting the MiB kind of trigger the host's consciousness in a long running story/scheme. Maybe a little obivous. It would make sense to me that Ed Harris' violence nature against the host is a sort of evolutionary primer for them. Violence is the one constant mistake throughout human history that has spurred all sorts of changes in our evolution, both biologically and socially.

The greeter host, Stathem's bea, and that brunette prostitute are both smoking hot. Mother of god. I wouldn't have made it past the outfit selection stage either. I watched the original Westworld movie trailer, interesting they had other time periods. They'll leave them out for sure but it would be interesting if they did subsequent single seasons in other parks ala True Detective. Not going to happen.

6. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

I read the McPoyle/MiB theory as well and I didnt really buy into it either. This most recent episode seemed to establish that they are occurring in the same time period. Besides, how could Delores have past memories about the MiB before interacting with McPoyle?

I was thinking the MiB might be a host-version/replicant of Arnold as an environmental checks and balances within the park.

I thought the host greeter was Elon Musk's wife?

7. JWags

JWags
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Correct. Rosie Huntington-Whiteley is nowhere to be found in this show. That's Musk's now ex wife

8. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

God damn I am failing at the internet lately. I blame Crown for this one.

9. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Hell, I thought it was her. I wasn't the only one. Especially with that dime UK accent. Either or, they are both man eater-uppers.

And my point stands. Like McPoyle's buddy, I would have a hard time choosing to sit around campfires at night when back in town..... this is all over me:

image.jpeg

10. Dcc001

Dcc001
    Expand Collapse
    New Bitch On Top

Is the Helmsworth brother a robot or no?

11. Improper

Improper
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I really don't think so. The men in that family, wow.

12. Dcc001

Dcc001
    Expand Collapse
    New Bitch On Top

K folks...what is happening? Why would a company/park that large have such a massive underground complex that is abandoned to rot? Like with the power cutting in and out and water dripping and essentially looking like it was hastily left behind after a war or something?

13. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

The string quartet at the brothel/orgy played my favourite song, Something I Can Never Have. I've missed a couple on the piano though, what are the others? I also caught Fake Plastic Trees.

Every scene Hopkins has is amazing. Robert is such an enigmatic and terrifying character. He's god and he demonstrates that fact in the most explosive yet nonchalant ways.: you think his intentions are kind, he seems like the kindly, whimsical toy maker...and then he pulls the rug out. Teddy grabbing Harris' knife in the saloon was so awesome, with Robert hardly grinning over the extreme level of control he has.

Thoery of mine: All the stories intersect yes, but are they all on the same timeline? Is this pulp fiction where they're mixing this up to fuck with us when the ultimate denouement/twist comes crashing down?

#33 Crown Royal, Nov 9, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2016
  14. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I mean the guy can send huge excavators to rip up large swaths of park on a whim not surprised there is some abandoned areas.

Time is linear in the show, Anthony Hopkins is killing it, and Thandie Newton's character is awesome.

15. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Uh WOW. At first I was kind of disapointed they were going with the whole "board is going to wrestle control" story line.The last scene with Bernard, Theresa, and Ford blew my mind. It leaves me really wondering what the Man in Black's purpose is in terms of story format. His evil intentions early on have morphed into really just figuring out the puzzle, and Ford is really the evil genius of the story.

16. Improper

Improper
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Do you think that was a robot Theresa being built in that off the books fabricator?

17. Dcc001

Dcc001
    Expand Collapse
    New Bitch On Top

Ford using the same words ("blood sacrifice"), implies that he knew the contents of Theresa's meeting with the director of the board. Is that because he had the room bugged, or is the entire board of directors a bunch of hosts, too?

18. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

I have absolutely no doubt.

That final five minutes would have made Rod Serling proud. Hopkins' scenes have dominated the show so far but this was by far the biggest kick to the balls. Robert is an ice-blooded supervillain. I mean, when you lean back and see how much he mentally scorched Theresa during her entire stay there....FUCK man. If they ended the season like that the fucking wolves would be howling for more. Exceptional twist. As for Hopkins, this is his best work since The World's Fastest Indian.

He's designing his own free-thinking but loyal people. He's building a church. To worship him? It seems like there's going to be endgames after the endgame. This show is marvellous and stacking up the twists, while at the same time having the patience to not reveal them too quick.

This also adds a new element: ANYBODY could be real or a host, even people we've already got to know as if they were human. They're using an element of the "unreliable narration" technique to fuck with the viewer.

And good for McPoyle. He busted that thang out with the only hard-to-get hot-girl host in the park, without getting it hot & clammy (The way the MxPoyles like it).

I remember saying I'd have little need to leave town if I were there, seeing a lot of people would just attempt to grind their forty grand a day out of Thandie and Clementine, I have to admit: being in a train and horseback firefight and then have Delaware braves gruesomely ambush them.... that would give anybody a raging semi.

19. iczorro

iczorro
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

There was a "deactivated" host tied to the bed as a sex puppet.

20. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I didn't think about that, makes sense. I was thinking like Dcc that the head of the board was herself a host that Ford had put there as the evil puppet master.