Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Westworld

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Kubla Kahn, Oct 10, 2016.

1. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Two episodes in and Im pretty hooked. HBO quality tone and execution.

Great science fiction concept seems like it will be very hard to pull off. My biggest gripe is that it is really kind of hard to care for each "host" as they go off on vignettes about them individually. The connections to their past experiences seems hollow since all their past experiences are manufactured anyway. This concept almost precludes you from getting attached to their stories. I think that's why Ed Harris's and Anthony Hopkins's are the most appealing. Hopefully they will tie their backstories into the "host" well. I also found the whole "Paint it Black" sequence in the first episode to be terribly off putting and out of place. If that was the original tone they had for the series I am not surprised they did the reshoots/edits.

The biggest no brainer plot hole? Why make a huge Western based theme park at all? Fucking sex bots are the future and any board of directors worth their salt would have one large chain of brothels built out in a year flat.

What's everyone elses thoughts?

2. Flat_Rate

Flat_Rate
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I've watched both episodes and I like it so far, Ed Harris can play the black hat cowboy better than anyone.

3. E. Tuffmen

E. Tuffmen
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I haven't heard of this show before now, but it sounds a lot like it's based on the 1970's movie with Yul Brenner. Is this the case? Ed Harris and Anthony Hopkins? I'll definitely be checking it out though.

4. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

It is based on that show, and it does a great job of it.

5. Hoosiermess

Hoosiermess
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Agreed, though I'm not sure how they get more than a season? two? out of this. I guess that's why they introduced the maze or whatever in the second episode. So far though it's intriguing and looks like it's going to go further than the old movie. I'll be watching.

6. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Can we spoiler the original movie/series it was based off to save the rest of us?

7. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Send me a pm with the post that you're talking about and I'll go modify it.

8. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Hooked so far. I did enjoy the little details like the piano playing Black Hole Sun and the other modern songs throughout. A show like this needs to find a strong story arch quick or it could get crushed under the weight of its own ambition.

I wonder if and we we'll see Medieval and Roman World.

9. JWags

JWags
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I love it. Unexpectedly great cast. Ed Harris, Hopkins, Evan Rachel Wood (who I've always found underrated a bit), Thandie Newton and then great character actors like Jeffrey Wright and Jimmi Simpson.

Agree that it needs to find a direction, but what an amazingly awesome concept. Sex and murder filled Jurassic Park? Sign me the fuck up. The sinister undertones have been well done so far, appropriately chilling. It would be interesting if Ed Harris turns into some form of an anti-hero

10. E. Tuffmen

E. Tuffmen
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Shit. Now I'm going to have to sign up for HBO.

11. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Nothing yet just a suggestion for future post.

12. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

It's like Jurassic Park because the original was probably Michael Crichton's proto-type for JP. A unique amusement park where the attractions can kill you run by a rich, idealistic old man and bumbling engineers while being a parable about man's hubris.

I'm all for suspending disbelief, but there are some things they really need to explain well for this show to work -

1) Whats preventing the guests from killing each other? I get that the guns wont work. But what about stabbing, beating someone to death, throwing them off a cliff, etc.? And how would you know the difference if the hosts have blood and guts for effect?

2) It would be interesting to understand where this takes place exactly. I'm not sure if its on earth or some other planet with an enormous, terraformed arena. Another planet would make more sense because how could you account for people just wandering into the park or planes flying overhead otherwise?

On a side note, having rewatched the original recently, I cant help but think Yul Brynner's character inspired James Cameron to make the Terminator.

13. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

And, holy crap, James Brolin's character inspired somebody to make Christian Bale. I never realized how much they look alike.

14. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm really enjoying the concept of this show. After watching ex machina, I wonder if the show will go that route. And the robot people become more self aware and the shit hits the fan.

15. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

It does have a very Jurassic Park vibe. I get the impression that your two points might be connected though Im not sure how it works. The train ride into the park makes me think it might actually be in a place like Monument Valley on the other hand the visualization they have of the park at the control center makes it seem like it could also be a sort of Star Trek holodeck hybrid. I think that could explain why the have host on the train ride in, it's just part of the fiction and not a real train ride. If that's the case it could have similar safety controls. I was confused as to how they could reset everything each day until they revealed how all the host were cleaned up nightly. Still the amount they charge per day per customer seems low giving the overhead for such an operation.

16. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

I'm thinking it leans towards the Truman Show as much as Jurassic Park.

I want to know the endgame of Ed Harris' messed-up Man In Black. Jesus what an intro to him.

17. JWags

JWags
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Did they mention that? I totally missed it.

18. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I thought I heard a thousand dollars a day a customer? Given that it looks like there are a handful of real people in any given area they show, it doesn't seem like some insanely high volume Disneyworld type place.

19. Dcc001

Dcc001
    Expand Collapse
    New Bitch On Top

Does anyone else feel that rather than remaking Westworld, this team should be the ones doing The Dark Tower? Because the look and tone and cast NAILS TDT and it isn't even based off of those books.

20. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

The viral site for the show says it starts at $40,000 per person, per day.

[​IMG]